VOGONS

First post, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How much faster is the winner? What about having dual Xeon 900's and compare the two different cpus using Windows 2000/XP?

Dedicated Windows 95 Aficionado for good reasons:
http://toastytech.com/evil/setup.html

Reply 1 of 4, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

my vote goes to the p3xeon, but the gap depends on several conditions: the tbird's mainboard, and whether the benchmark uses sse instructions.
if the tbird is running on kt266a or even nforce2 boards with ddr ram, and the benchmark doesn't involve using sse, it would surely beat the p3-800 and come pretty close to the xeon.
on the other hand, if the tbird is running on kt133 or even sis730 boards with sdram, and the benchmark makes heavy use of sse, it would lose to the p3-800 and be smoked by the xeon.

Reply 2 of 4, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just learned today that the 2MB Xeons actually use on chip cache. Wow. I always assumed that the 1MB and 2MB variants used cartridge mounted cache, and that only the 256K Xeons had on-chip cache. Had no idea Intel was doing 2MB internal caches way back in 2000...dang! Anyone know if it's the same 8-way, 256-bit system that's found in Coppermine and Tualatin?

Anyway my vote goes to the Xeon.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!