VOGONS

First post, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey Guys,

need some help on this one. My Soyo SY-5SSM motherboard has nearly all it's bigger caps bloated or leaking.
Since I need to repair/recap some more stuff I was looking for caps to order. Found everything except something matching for these caps.

Those two big ones are Tayehs from 1500mF rated 6.3V. 10mm diameter and 20mm high. Leads are 5mm apart
20160503_2254271_zpstrhv2yib.jpg

One size smaller are "Wendell" 1000mF and 6.3V. 6mm diameter and +/- 12mm high. Leads are 3.5mm apart
20160503_2253471_zpsq6ej1lje.jpg
20160503_2254442_zpseuthbdru.jpg
20160503_2253152_zps1vrywvyw.jpg

Biggest issue is if I look at the Mouser shop then I only find way fatter caps to replace those. Am I looking wrong or can somebody point me to ones that fit this board?

The smaller caps all seem fine so I will leave them for now.

Reply 1 of 16, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the caps all say what they are, so I dont see why its hard to figure out. ie your last picture, 1000uf 6.3v or higher, 105 degree C

eg:
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Panasonic … tGeZx5nwQ%3D%3D

this has a 3.5mm lead spacing which may or may not be what you want.

look at them, write down the 'uf' rating, temp + voltage.. look them up. radial electrolytic caps. check temps + lead spacings.
voltage doesnt matter so much but dont go lower that specified, higher is ok.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 2 of 16, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My apologies, I formulated the question not good. Does it mean I can use any cap with the same voltage and farrad regardless of its ESR/other specs? Or do I have to stick to specific types/ranges? And I generally tend to choose Panasonic caps, is that good or should I take other brands?

Reply 4 of 16, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Same voltage is fine, but I personally prefer to step that up because I feel like they'll last longer, so I generally only use capacitors rated for 25V or 50V in such circuits (Which will probably never exceed 12V). ESR probably isn't too important, but if the ones you order have better ESR then it is unlikely to do any harm. You will need the same farad rating no matter what, though in emergencies you can sometimes get away with using the next size up if the ones you need aren't available, though doing that comes with no guarantees and is probably best reserved for a last resort. You aren't likely to have to do that anyway.

Panasonic is fine, I favor Nichicon but Panasonic caps are generally problem free too.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 5 of 16, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Stepping up voltage doesn't change lifespan. Overvolting a cap can result in breakdown, but thats a binary work/fail result. Lifespan is affected by heat and more specifically ESR, rated temperature, rated life (in hours), and rated ripple current.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 6 of 16, by Solarstorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

AFAIK the ESR is important in the meaning of durability.
A lower ESR means less resistance in the cap thus it runs "colder" and the electrolyte lasts longer.

My YouTube Channel

Reply 7 of 16, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sure, but choosing a cap with a higher voltage rating shouldn't hurt.
Note that some of those caps already operate near to their maximum range, like 16v caps in a 12v circuit.
The Game Gear handheld, for example, also likely suffered from this. It had 6.3v/4v caps in it's audio stage (5v), while the unit ran at about 9v (or 2x 4.5v).
Replacing those is a popular fix nowadays. Just search for "game gear sound fix".
However, I'm not sure if this was strictly a voltage problem. It was probably using capacitors of a lower quality, aswell.
But really, I don't think this was a heat problem. A handheld usually doesn't get very hot. (edited again)

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 16, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
awgamer wrote:

Looks like four from the second pic and one from the third could use replacing.

Worse, not all leak or are bulged at top, they also leak at the bottom. All seem te have suffered except one 😵
Ordering ones with low(er) ESR that fit, hopefully they will arrive soon. Will be my first motherboard recap so kinda curious how it will go.

Reply 9 of 16, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I hope you have proper tools to do it, like a hakko 808 or hakko fr300...

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 10 of 16, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Make sure You get capacitors that are no bigger, width or height, than the originals.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 11 of 16, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Imperious wrote:

Make sure You get capacitors that are no bigger, width or height, than the originals.

This is problematic. I can't find decent replacements for the 1000uF ones that are only 6mm in diameter that also have the same leg distance and size.
All the ones that would have the same characteristics have a 8mm diameter..

Reply 12 of 16, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In a case like yours, I would just do the best I can. What you have are 85-degree, general-purpose capacitors. You can get a Panasonic FR line of caps from Digi-Key at 470uF 105-degree, low-impedance capacitors in a 6.3mm diameter with a 5mm lead-spacing. It's just a Pentium, and not a heavy hitter like a Pentium 4 where low-impedance capacitors are prime. In my opinion you would be fine.

No matter what you decide to do for capacitors on this board, since you're probably not going to find an exact replacement, I would make sure to recap the power-supply with new, 105-degree capacitors, but don't simply stick low-impedance capacitors in the PSU because it can alter the way it functions. Just put modern, fresh, 105-degree replacements through-out. This will help bolster the power from it's source, and lessen the strain on the motherboard caps.

Reply 13 of 16, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jo22 wrote:

Sure, but choosing a cap with a higher voltage rating shouldn't hurt.

Just your pocket book!

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 14 of 16, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

(^_^)

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 15 of 16, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For 1000uf 6.3V i reccomend Nichicon L8 polymers. For the bigger 1500uf you can go with Panasonic FM's. You can't go wrong sticking to the same values.