VOGONS

First post, by mzry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hiya guys,

Just letting anyone interested know that I successfully replaced my v5 fans. The fans I ordered were the Sunon Maglex 40mm fans, they were a very good price for around $6 each with very good shipping prices. Click here to see the seller I used

This version comes with a large 3 pin which obviously requires some soldering. The mini 3 pin variants were a lot more expensive, plus the polarity of the wires were different in the voodoo vs fan so it's better to solder anyway. I just cut the connector off the new fans, and the connector to the voodoo fans and then soldered: red to red, black to black and blue to yellow.

I was keen to do it this way since it seems neater and more 'original' to have the card powering the fans, I notice a lot of people used external power to avoid soldering etc. Anyway, the conclusion: MASSIVE difference, totally silent and smooth. It's halved the sound output from the computer.

Also you'll notice I used some heat-proof rubber connectors to superglue the fans to the heatsinks, this was because the new fan is taller than the originals and therefore the original screws don't work. I couldn't find screws the correct length anywhere, so rather than gluing directly on to the heatsink I used the rubber spacers so that I could potentially remove them if I needed to in the future. If I glued them directly on to the heatsink it would be a much more difficult future job. This also has the added benefit of lifting the underneath fan wiring off the heatsink (due to the fans reversed design compared to the originals, I wanted to keep the air flow the same as the old ones - which is blowing on to the heatsink, not sucking)

Image 1
Image 2
Image 3

Thanks, hope this info helps anyone else in the future.

Reply 1 of 12, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice little project there. I agree that the fans should remain powered by the card. Not bad.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 2 of 12, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Great mod, many will find this very useful.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 3 of 12, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

old post

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-07-25, 16:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 12, by mzry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is vhb tap some kind if thermal insulator? That's awesome I didn't think of that, i'll definitely look in to that next time thx. Hopefully the motor won't get too hot, i guess it's kinda pushing the heat away from itself so maybe itll be alright 😀

Reply 5 of 12, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Snazzy. I just found Noctua has some nice low noise 40mm fans ( http://noctua.at/en/nf-a4x10-flx ) as I just saw they announced some 60mm ones are on the way. Retro heaven without the noise 😉

The noctua 40mm ones say they are only 18dBA vs. your 27dBA

I'm cheap and strapped a 90mm fan accross the 2 vsa chips on one of my V5's. Each VSA is only 15 watts and don't need much for cooling as I think they could of got away with larger heatsinks and no fan or just a bridged heatsink and a single fan.

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 6 of 12, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
mzry wrote:

Is vhb tap some kind if thermal insulator? That's awesome I didn't think of that, i'll definitely look in to that next time thx. Hopefully the motor won't get too hot, i guess it's kinda pushing the heat away from itself so maybe itll be alright 😀

Vhb tape is 3m's very high bond tape. It's a super strong dibble sided tape. So stong that it's been used in place of rivets in buildings. I use it when ever I don't have away to mount a fan.
Also if those are 12v fans you need not worry about the fans motors getting hot. The fan output on the 5500 is 5v. The fan is not running at full speed. It's like under clocking/volting a cpu.

Reply 7 of 12, by mzry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RogueTrip2012 wrote:

Snazzy. I just found Noctua has some nice low noise 40mm fans ( http://noctua.at/en/nf-a4x10-flx ) as I just saw they announced some 60mm ones are on the way. Retro heaven without the noise 😉

I'm cheap and strapped a 90mm fan accross the 2 vsa chips on one of my V5's. Each VSA is only 15 watts and don't need much for cooling as I think they could of got away with larger heatsinks and no fan or just a bridged heatsink and a single fan.

Don't forget thats 27dba at 12v, the voodoo outputs 5v so its more like 14dba. Also noctua costs 10x more 😳 these ones can cost more but the seller I found is the lowest price I've seen so it's exceptional value.

Reply 8 of 12, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mzry wrote:
RogueTrip2012 wrote:

Don't forget thats 27dba at 12v, the voodoo outputs 5v so its more like 14dba. Also noctua costs 10x more 😳 these ones can cost more but the seller I found is the lowest price I've seen so it's exceptional value.

Noctua also has 5v fans ( http://noctua.at/en/products/fan/nf-a4x10-5v ) that are 18dBA. The noctuas are probably 10x the quality too 😉

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 9 of 12, by mzry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Noctuas are probably okay if you don't mind spending that kind of money. But honestly these sunon fans are amazing quality.

Reply 10 of 12, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Also make sure you fans aren't pulling more then the socks fans. Don't want to overload the outputs.

Reply 11 of 12, by FaSMaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can still get replacement heatsinks and fans from aliexpress, you will have to carefully remove the old hsf as they use 3m heat transfer adhesive, but its a simple process.

Just add some thermal compound:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1PCS-Aluminum- … 49-a6978d6c1327

Or

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1PCS-55mm-Hole … 07-feedede56456

Just measure to see if the holes are 55mm or 80mm apart 😀

Reply 12 of 12, by mzry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wouldn't risk removing the original HS, the originals seem to do a fine job anyway.