VOGONS

First post, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, all

I have a Samsung SyncMaster 755DFX 17" CRT screen. I'm using it with my Pentium Pro machine, here are the specs:

- Windows 95C;
- onboard S3 Virge/DX 2MB GPU;
- Voodoo 2 V2 1000.

By default the screen area is a bit off. It's a bit narrower and shorter than needed and not centered. I tried restoring factory settings and naturally that didn't work. I can use manual adjustment, but it will be lost the next time I launch a game or restart the system.

It's also not about the system — I used that exact screen with my socket 7/Win98 machine with both S3 and Matrox cards, with or without the Voodoo.

How do I fix this?

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 1 of 3, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jheronimus wrote:
Hi, all […]
Show full quote

Hi, all

I have a Samsung SyncMaster 755DFX 17" CRT screen. I'm using it with my Pentium Pro machine, here are the specs:

- Windows 95C;
- onboard S3 Virge/DX 2MB GPU;
- Voodoo 2 V2 1000.

By default the screen area is a bit off. It's a bit narrower and shorter than needed and not centered. I tried restoring factory settings and naturally that didn't work. I can use manual adjustment, but it will be lost the next time I launch a game or restart the system.

It's also not about the system — I used that exact screen with my socket 7/Win98 machine with both S3 and Matrox cards, with or without the Voodoo.

How do I fix this?

Are you saying that it is always off and when you have to switch resolutions between games and the desktop you always have to adjust?

I've had to do this on a number of my CRT monitors in the past. If you keep it at the same resolution you shouldn't have to change it again until you change your resolution again. Some monitors are better than others. If your monitor i particularly bad you might consider trying to use a resolution that will work accross all programs you use. I know thats not a good answer particularly if you end up switching the monitor between systems alot, but it might be the only option.

Reply 2 of 3, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Most CRTs keep alignment and other settings for each combination of resolution AND refresh rate. For example, setting your monitor to 1024x768@60Hz and aligning it properly, then changing to 1024x768@75Hz... you will be required to align it again. If you switch BACK to 60Hz, it should still "remember" how you had it aligned at that setting. If it doesn't, it's either a defect or just a poorly designed monitor (less likely, since its a good brand name).

Restarting the system and losing your settings seems rather unusual though. I don't really know how these things work, but I'd suspect that whatever component the monitor uses to store configuration settings may be malfunctioning.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 3 of 3, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote:

Most CRTs keep alignment and other settings for each combination of resolution AND refresh rate. For example, setting your monitor to 1024x768@60Hz and aligning it properly, then changing to 1024x768@75Hz... you will be required to align it again. If you switch BACK to 60Hz, it should still "remember" how you had it aligned at that setting. If it doesn't, it's either a defect or just a poorly designed monitor (less likely, since its a good brand name).

Restarting the system and losing your settings seems rather unusual though. I don't really know how these things work, but I'd suspect that whatever component the monitor uses to store configuration settings may be malfunctioning.

That does seem more likely. I mean, after all, the default settings are always wrong and a bit random to begin with.

I was kinda wondering if the system needs a more specific device profile for my screen than the "generic PnP monitor" or whatever, but looks like this is indeed a hardware problem and not a software one.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog