VOGONS

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Asked about a rare item on ebay that had been up for a while.

I'm interested in this but not at your asking price. Would you consider at least adding a "best offer" option?

And in response..

Thanks for asking - I wasn't aware the [item] was still @ 189 Euros. I had to raise the price.

I've removed the mention of the item and won't be posting a link as this person is a Vogons member and has a reputation. But imo it was a pretty dick move. 😒

Reply 1 of 17, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You really should tell us who it is, so we can publicly shame him.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 2 of 17, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's a rare item so he can do what he wants with it. Though I think he could have done so with a little more tact.

Reply 3 of 17, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just name and shame as that is dick move and is very much what this community is against. Raising prices like that only pisses people off and sours what other may feel or think about this hobby in general especially first timers. I really do feel sorry for those who are just now getting started or in his or her first year into this.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 4 of 17, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kahenraz wrote:

It's a rare item so he can do what he wants with it. Though I think he could have done so with a little more tact.

It doesn't matter what the price is. Someone asked to make an offer, and in stead of simply rejecting (should have done this) this person ALLEGEDLY, makes a fuck you statement and raises the price.

So if what OP claims is TRUE (important!), then I certainly would like to know who it is. I doubt I would have much contact with someone presumably from the UK, but still, the person should be taken to the city center and shamed.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 5 of 17, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

price queries should be forced public, secrecy and power both corrupt

Reply 6 of 17, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote:

It wasn't me 🤣!

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 17, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

It wasn't me 🤣!

suuuure, you can prove that by buying me a beer 😁

Reply 8 of 17, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote:
Asked about a rare item on ebay that had been up for a while. […]
Show full quote

Asked about a rare item on ebay that had been up for a while.

I'm interested in this but not at your asking price. Would you consider at least adding a "best offer" option?

And in response..

Thanks for asking - I wasn't aware the [item] was still @ 189 Euros. I had to raise the price.

I've removed the mention of the item and won't be posting a link as this person is a Vogons member and has a reputation. But imo it was a pretty dick move. 😒

I remember having asked some seller on ebay something similar. I have to admit my offer was a lot lower than he had probably hoped.

Now we're more than 8 years ahead and he's still selling the same items 🤣! Can't get rid of them and having upped his prices significantly won't really help.

Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 17, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mrau wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

It wasn't me 🤣!

suuuure, you can prove that by buying me a beer 😁

I don't even have an ebay account anymore, so I can't possibly be the seller 😜

Report spammers here!

Reply 10 of 17, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

But anyway, I wouldn't mind knowing who the seller was, but otoh I don't think it's wise to come bringing the tar, feathers and lighter so easily, especially since we don't even know what exactly happened. For all we know, everything happened for a good reason.

And sometimes shitty things happen.

Report spammers here!

Reply 11 of 17, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:

But anyway, I wouldn't mind knowing who the seller was, but otoh I don't think it's wise to come bringing the tar, feathers and lighter so easily, especially since we don't even know what exactly happened. For all we know, everything happened for a good reason.

And sometimes shitty things happen.

Indeed they do but most people have enough sense to cut their prices and hope for some quick sales to get the money they need. Raising prices like is a good way to lose business and gain a unfavorable reputation. When one has no choice it is best to trickle the prices up a little at a time.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 12 of 17, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Dick move, sure, but this topic should either be more generally oriented with out mentioning the origin of the seller or what item it is or complete with all details so all is revealed, not like this.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 13 of 17, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Artex? He's probably the only remaining Vogons guy I've recognized on eBay, he's got good stuff and his prices aren't cheap. Not that eBay is a charity.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 15 of 17, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought a Tandy 1000EX with "Buy It Now" and had the seller cancel the bid because he listed shipping at $4 too low.

There's no way to file a complaint about that. Can't even leave negative feedback.

Reply 16 of 17, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
firage wrote:

Artex? He's probably the only remaining Vogons guy I've recognized on eBay, he's got good stuff and his prices aren't cheap. Not that eBay is a charity.

It's not Artex and I don't want to call anyone out. It was just a sad thing. When selling to other hobbyists I should hope that we would be enabling.

Reply 17 of 17, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thread locked.

Reason: Slippery slope type discussion.

YouTube, Facebook, Website