VOGONS

First post, by Piecho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
I`ve got Toshiba 320CTD

http://support.toshiba.com/support/staticCont … omTOCLink=false

Curren it have stok 4gb HDD. Its slow and very noisy. I think about replace it with CF card in this adapter:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/CF-to-44-Pin-I … 90-4593a404ed0f

Do you think using Win98 on CF card is good idea? I`m mostly using this for old games, but not only - I installe WiFi card and just having fun with all what old PC could make.
Is any maximum capitibility HDD/CF this laptop could recognize?

Reply 1 of 9, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use 2GB CF card with Win98SE on my P-233MMX laptop. Works fine.

That adapter should be good.

Some pentium boards/bios had probles with HDD's larger then 8GB. New versions of BIOS helped. Some also had problems with HDD's bigger then 38GB and finally larger then 128GB.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 2 of 9, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's just okay. A mechanical HDD will perform better, even some old UDMA66 types, probably.

2.5" form factor and a 1995 era interface, CF does shine.

Last edited by firage on 2016-06-20, 11:08. Edited 1 time in total.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 3 of 9, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

wouldn't a modern flash based CF be faster than any IDE drive?

Also I keep seeing on ebay, Western Digital 2 and 4gb PATA SSD's these would also seem to be a great idea at giving a retro system an upgrade without adapters.

Reply 4 of 9, by FaSMaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How is the wear and tear on a CF card, Ive been warned several times that the card will wear out extremely fast due to the windows swap file ,and not to attempt CF with win9x ?

Reply 5 of 9, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

CF do work fine under Windows 98 😀

Wear and tear might be an issue, I don't think I've used a CF card long enough to make any comment in that regard. Personally I like to use CF for pure DOS and for Windows 98 SATA drives with SATA to IDE converters.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 7 of 9, by FaSMaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dos I know of 😀

Reply 8 of 9, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I haven't had any issues even ran osx tiger off a CF card and it took a long time before it showed signs of wear (lost performance but data was fine). I like CF cards that they are so easy to work with.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 9 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yup, I also ran OS9 from an 4GB CF card. Worked like a charm. ^^
Windows 98 and ME also worked, but *sometime* access was a bit jerky (for example,very short task bar and explorer freezes).
Probably because Windows was writing/reading a lot in the background at the same time. On Windows 3.1 no jerkyness, so far.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//