VOGONS

First post, by Blinky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello there, I am building a Retro PC with tualatin cpu and voodoo5 / geforce4 + v2 sli (havent decided yet, probably the second option) to play games of 1995-2000 ERA.

Currently I am looking to see what my options are for a monitor that will do them justice and not see just junk on the screen.
To begin with, let me say that I would love to use an LCD because I dont have much desk space, but only if there is one that will be good at this, I dont want to butcher the picture quality just to save on space. I dont think there is a way, I have thought of using a 15" 1024x768 LCD seeing as this is a common resolution for retro games (and the resolution of V2 SLI) so it wouldnt need any scaling, but stil there would be plenty of games that want 640x480 or 800x600 , so I think it's not feasible...

On the CRT front that looks like the way its meant to be played (nvidia joke 😁 ) I must say that other than the space problem I loved the CRT picture and I am one of the last ones to migrate to LCDs. The last CRT I bought is stil in the house and is a Samsung 959nf with mitsubishi Diamondtron tube (supposed to be the best at the time). However I would like not to use this specific one for a couple of reasons.
1) It has an imperfection on the glass (my bad 🙁 )
2) It's huge being 19"
3) I'd like to avoid the trinitron/diamondtron 2 horisontal lines if possible

Before that screen I had an Eizo F35 but I don't think this is still around.

If I cant avoid going the CRT way I'd like some help to guide me to which model I should look for. First, I think that 17" is the ideal size with about 16" viewable space and managable size, and then I'd like it to be flat obviously. But other than that I want to know if I can avoid the trinitron tubes (is there any comparable technology that wont be a big downgrade so that I can avoid the horizontal lines?), if there is any technology that is more compact for space, and what models to look for that allow for high refresh rates up to 1280x1024... (I dont think I can play games of that ERA at higher resolution than that).

I am open to any suggestions, even LCD ones if you can justify them!

Reply 1 of 8, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For DOS only I recommend 15". For early Windows era 17" would be best. For newer then 2000 games I'd pick a 21". Brand by your choice (but I like Sony Trinitrons).

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 2 of 8, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Blinky wrote:

Samsung 959nf

I just remembered that I had a Samsung 955DF which was affordable and performed well. It's a shadow mask tube so it would probably hold on longer than a Trinitron, but I sold it off a long time ago for space-saving reasons... 😜

(Well, If you're moving, CRTs definitely are some of the first things to dispose off!)

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 3 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

We already have an ongoing thread about this:
In your opinion whats the best CRT monitor

I'll say it again: there's no point in looking for a specific model of CRT, since they're already pretty hard to come by (especially in good condition) and they're ridiculously expensive to ship anywhere.

Reply 4 of 8, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^maybe we should start a thread on "CRT replacement" instead... 😜

100Hz+ refresh rates, 4:3 mode (and screen masking), variable resolution, and eventually what panel does best at replicating the "analogue" look?

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 5 of 8, by Blinky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I live in Greece, so most of the ideas about shipping cost etc does not apply to me. Here you can find CRT monitors in classifieds sometimes even for free or other times for a low cost, so I just want to know what to look for!

For example I have found a Sony e220 for 20 euros (along with a full p4 system for that price that I dont need). I understand this must be a more economical yet stil trinitron flat model.
Then there is a Sony G220 (which must be a higher end model) that someone sells for 50euros here.
Other crt screens go for free as people nust want to clear space as long as you go pick them up.

Mostly I wanted to settle on a couple of "good" models preferably not trinitron so as to know what to look for in the local classifieds!

The shadowmask is the opposing technology? Any good models based on that, flat and 17"?

Reply 6 of 8, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I suggest just use what you can find cheap and upgrade over time. It took years but I eventually picked up a 21 Panasync Pro and I've got a few spares.
Honestly I never liked Trinitrons- the grill annoys me enough to negate most picture improvements. It's pretty subjective though.

Reply 7 of 8, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Blinky wrote:

The shadowmask is the opposing technology? Any good models based on that, flat and 17"?

I'll leave the first question to wikipedia et al. 😜

As for the latter--I think you should take a look at LG Flatron tubes. Flat, no Trinitron/aperture grille (but not shadow mask either, more like "slot mask") and 17" models were abundant in the early to mid 2000s, right to the end of CRT era I suppose. Should my Sony tubes begin to go (too) bad, I'll go search for the Flatrons. But I'll keep it to 17" myself this time around!

Reply 8 of 8, by mastergamma12

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use a Viewsonic PF790.

It a pretty good monitor.

NNH9pIh.png

The Tuala-Bus (My 9x/Dos Rig) (Pentium III-S 1.4ghz, AWE64G+Audigy 2 ZS, Voodoo5 5500, Chieftec Dragon Rambus)

The Final Lan Party (My Windows Xp/7 rig) (Core i7 980x, GTX 480,DFI Lanparty UT X58-T3eH8,)
Re: Post your 'current' PC