User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
orinoko wrote:
Stiletto wrote:
orinoko wrote:

Because I find imgur extremely confusing to work with

Fixed. Also, see my attempt at explaining: Making clickable embedded images using Imgur image hosting service

That is greatly appreciated, Stiletto 😊 That forum posting is going to come in handy!

Be sure to read the full thread, I identify an "easier way" later on. I'll probably go back to edit the first post and sticky it later.

orinoko wrote:

Give me a 486, and I'll make it purr. Give me an image file, and I fumble with a image hosting website... 🤣

Well, if it suits you better, you can even host your images _here_ by adding them as an attachment to your post, which you can do from the Full Reply screen (or New Topic screen or whatever). Once you've uploaded your attachments, you can place them inline.

However, you may want to use these images elsewhere, so an image hosting website may be more convenient. 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 4001 of 27655, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stiletto wrote:

... by adding them as an attachment to your post, which you can do from the Full Reply screen (or New Topic screen or whatever)...

Ahhh... I seldom use the Full Editor so I didn't realize images could be attached directly either. I get all bolluxed up using image hosting websites like the other poster so this will make things much easier..

Reply 4002 of 27655, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Installed a soundcard in my 286 computer, finished it off by playing Prince Of Persia and Lemmings.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 4003 of 27655, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brostenen wrote:

Installed a soundcard in my 286 computer, finished it off by playing Prince Of Persia and Lemmings.

What card did you install?

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 4004 of 27655, by Vincent_Vega_SA

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm working on my FINAL Socket370 machine.
So far ended with:
Celeron (SL6C7) 1.30GHz Tualatin
Chaintech 6Via5-CT100 mATX
512Mb Ram 133MHz
80 Gb +40 Gb WD HDD
3DFx VooDoo 3 3000 TV-out
PCI1: AUreal VOrtex Terratec
PCI2: Audigy 2
+
ISA: SB16 or Awe64 or AoPEN Crystal- this is now question for me, I will do some tests
Nice, small mATX case from HP (DX2200 model)

My plan is to replace my older P3 550 and P3 866 machines, to have one instead of more systems.

Reply 4005 of 27655, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keenmaster486 wrote:
brostenen wrote:

What card did you install?

I installed this Yamaha YMF-718s (or 719, forgetting the number).
I chose it, because of the light drivers and because SB16 is a bit overkill when looking at the age of the machine.
SB-Pro is sufficiant for the games that I have. And Adlib is more used than SB-Pro.

Reply 4008 of 27655, by orinoko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tincup wrote:
Stiletto wrote:

... by adding them as an attachment to your post, which you can do from the Full Reply screen (or New Topic screen or whatever)...

Ahhh... I seldom use the Full Editor so I didn't realize images could be attached directly either. I get all bolluxed up using image hosting websites like the other poster so this will make things much easier..

Thanks Stiletto for the tip, although as tincup mentioned, I didn't even know that images could be hosted here. I might have to give it a go! You wouldn't imagine what I need to go through to get images from my phone onto here 🤣

As for retro activities, I received a new member of my collection family - another Toshiba Libretto 100CT 😊 Going to mess with it tonight after work if I get the chance.

Reply 4010 of 27655, by Private_Ops

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Started working on my 98/DOS rig. Reusing my Lian Li PC-K7B (originally housed a 3770K that is getting sold).

Specs so far: […]
Show full quote

Specs so far:

200MHz Pentium MMX
Itox 586G Motherboard
64MB PC100 SD-RAM
10GB Maxtor Hard Drive
Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 (S3 Virge)
AWE64 Value

Still need an IDE Optical Drive, Powersupply (lookin at the basic Seasonic 80plus models) and IDE cables (gonna get round ones from eBay).

And just received my Diamond Voodoo 1 to go along with it.

IMG_0133.JPG
Filename
IMG_0133.JPG
File size
1.33 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_0134.JPG
Filename
IMG_0134.JPG
File size
1.53 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4011 of 27655, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There's a forest fire very close by and a strong firefighting presence but if anything goes wrong we'll surely be on mandatory evacuation. After boxing up some stuff, I started taking a ton of pictures yesterday. I don't know what kind of detail the insurance would expect, and I definitely didn't try to single out each item, but I can safely say "I had more computer parts than some computer stores".
Tried to decide which pieces of my electronic junk (if any) were worth evacuating if it comes to that. Ended up with a small pile of a few sound cards, video cards, and video games that I think would be very difficult to replace. I would grab several hard drives out of some machines because of data they contain. Considered some motherboards, but the bulk makes me inclined to leave them. I probably would not take any desktops.

It's a close call but it looks like the threat is diminishing so I don't think any of this stuff is going anywhere. The junk will live on.

Coincidentally as I went through my video cards I came across a Diamond Monster 3D like the one above, but I never have gotten mine to work. I need to get another one sometime for a ~1996-97 Pentium/MMX game machine. I remember that time period fondly, and to me that card is iconic, even though I thought it was stupid expensive at the time.

Reply 4012 of 27655, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So glad that I don't have to experience disarsters like that. No forest fires, no earthquakes, no tornados. Nature is pretty non-scary here. Well.... The most dangerous here, are a small snake. It is no more dangerous than if you are a child, old person or have a heart condition, you have 10% chance of death when bitten.

Reply 4014 of 27655, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brostenen wrote:

So glad that I don't have to experience disarsters like that. No forest fires, no earthquakes, no tornados. Nature is pretty non-scary here. Well.... The most dangerous here, are a small snake. It is no more dangerous than if you are a child, old person or have a heart condition, you have 10% chance of death when bitten.

Lost my collection once to arson, lost over $5,000 just in that alone. It sucks to know people these days and that some are truly bat shit crazy. 😢

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 4015 of 27655, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PeterLI wrote:

Do not forget hurricanes. 😀

Katrina did a Lot of people in big time, imagine being in the middle of New Orleans and there is 20 feet of water.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 4016 of 27655, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pripyat too.... Man... The list goes on and on.

Anyway.
Went to the toyshop today and bought two presents for my son. Totally retro, yet nothing to do with computers.
He is goig to get pokemon bedsheets and a pokemon figure. He just loves that shit.

Reply 4017 of 27655, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got permission to play around with any old junk pc's at work. As long as they stay on site 🤣. Oh well, something to do on breaks and lunch!

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 4018 of 27655, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shamino wrote:
There's a forest fire very close by and a strong firefighting presence but if anything goes wrong we'll surely be on mandatory e […]
Show full quote

There's a forest fire very close by and a strong firefighting presence but if anything goes wrong we'll surely be on mandatory evacuation. After boxing up some stuff, I started taking a ton of pictures yesterday. I don't know what kind of detail the insurance would expect, and I definitely didn't try to single out each item, but I can safely say "I had more computer parts than some computer stores".
Tried to decide which pieces of my electronic junk (if any) were worth evacuating if it comes to that. Ended up with a small pile of a few sound cards, video cards, and video games that I think would be very difficult to replace. I would grab several hard drives out of some machines because of data they contain. Considered some motherboards, but the bulk makes me inclined to leave them. I probably would not take any desktops.

It's a close call but it looks like the threat is diminishing so I don't think any of this stuff is going anywhere. The junk will live on.

Coincidentally as I went through my video cards I came across a Diamond Monster 3D like the one above, but I never have gotten mine to work. I need to get another one sometime for a ~1996-97 Pentium/MMX game machine. I remember that time period fondly, and to me that card is iconic, even though I thought it was stupid expensive at the time.

I hope for Your sake the Fire threat has gone away. As far as the Voodoo1 is concerned, they don't like cpu speeds above 600mhz, it's some sort of timimg issue. On my Abit Athlon system I downclock the cpu to
around 500mhz usually if I want to use the Voodoo1.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 4019 of 27655, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

tried burning the GAL for the CMS chip upgrade on the SoundBlaster2... cant get the gal to verify 🙁 tried two gals and both dont verify after writing. ugh. dammit.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--