VOGONS

First post, by Trank

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am rebuilding my original XP machine from years and years ago. One thing that broke was the wires on the fan. I believe the fan size is 45mm so thats not an issue, and the card works fine. But after looking for sometime I just cant find a proper way to search for fans. Even on eBay. Can anyone lend some direction?

GF6.png
Filename
GF6.png
File size
988.59 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 19, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How about something similar to this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-45-mm-2-P … yQAAOSwnNBXU03R

Found among the top hits after searching for "video fan" then sorting by price-ascending

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 4 of 19, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As its only the fan your after you can probably get a good deal on a "spares/repair" or even faulty 6800 card listing on ebay or wherever.
I would bet most of the dead ones are due to the heat/solder issue rather then a failed fan.

Reply 5 of 19, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just Drill Holes inside the plate and screw a Fan to the top plate ?

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 7 of 19, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

While the last 2 ideas are likely viable, they will turn this card from a 1-slot in a 2-slot card due to the added height...

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 8 of 19, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Honestly I would just slap a Zalman VF900 and be done with it in style but you should just scrounge eBay for another 6800 that has the cooler you want then salvage that. Stock coolers a most 6800s were not very good.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 10 of 19, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A strategically placed fan in your case could possibly cool it. If you have a spot on the side panel to mount a fan for example.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 11 of 19, by Trank

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for all the ideas, I could try just placing a fan on top of the heatsink and see how that goes. If that wont fit, or doesn't work well ill have to see about buying the fan stamad linked or even going for one of those dead 6800s for the fan parts.

Reply 14 of 19, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You could try simply removing the plastic cover and fan from the heatsink and mount a casefan onto it?

It's what I did with one of my own 6800s and it worked flawlessly like that for years.

There's a pic of the card while installed in one of my rigs here New rigs! (first ones of a bunch)

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 16 of 19, by Trank

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would have taken the plate off but like i said the screws are sadly stripped. No way to take it off easily.

Also thank you man. Those are EXACTLY what im looking for. I think i am just going to go with the replacement cooler. Its only 10 bucks. I think the thing is about the fan connection on those replacement fans they are too small, if i wanted to i could just take the fan out of that cooler and still use the old school heatsink.

Reply 17 of 19, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You have quite a few options since it just a 2 pin fan connector. When you get into 4 pin connectors you have more problems.

Buying a dead card for the whole assembly is probably the cheapest way to go.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 19 of 19, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
agent_x007 wrote:

Replacement FAN (possible) : LINK

Exactly the same fan I linked to in my post above, only twice as expensive. 😀

Trank wrote:

I think the thing is about the fan connection on those replacement fans they are too small,

No, it's exactly the same connector.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O