VOGONS

First post, by krivulak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys, I am fiddling with old PCs again, and this time I wandered around Octek Rhino 15. But I don't really know what is the maximum RAM I can put there and what speed. Do anybody have manual? Or do anybody know?

Reply 1 of 2, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi krivulak,

I've searched the web a bit and found this site:

http://forum.chip.de/cpu-board-speicher/bios- … hner-42172.html

If I understand correctly, this users board name is 2A59IO09C-00 and was made by a company named Aristo.
The manual he/she/it found on the net was 586 PCI Pentium Mainboard P15.

The BIOS the board used was an AWARD Modular BIOS V4.51PG, which looks familiar to me.

Judging by this, the PC is likely an early Pentium machine with socket 7.

So I think you should at least be able to install 64MB without any issues.
More memory, say 128MB, should also be possible if it has enough cache installed (see "cacheable area" problem).
The speed is not so important, but thake care of the voltage and check wheter the module is doublesided or singlesided.

As an HDD you can use anything upto ~8GB or ~32GB (depends on how recent that BIOS is).
If that's not enough, you can install an IDE RAID controller (with an BIOS chip), an SCSI controller
or get a patched BIOS (so you can use HDDs upto 64GB).

Perhaps you'll find a matching one at Rainbow-Software.org (sorry, no Dashie there)

http://wims.rainbow-software.org/

Good Luck!

PS: Your avatar is just awesome! It made my day! 😁

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 2, by krivulak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The very first time I booted this PC it had 2x16Mb SIMM 72pin sticks. Since I don't have any SIMM RAM in my stock and the computer needed upgrade, I pulled them out and put in 1x64 MB 100MHz SDRAM stick, and the speed grew up massively. Today I pulled that one out and replaced it with 2x64MB 133MHz sticks. Weirdly enough, this popped out:

P_20160827_174630_zpswbysmhlp.jpg

I grabbed myself a Memtest floppy, but wrong version, so booting that floppy was no success, only garbage that looked like memory printing. But I am sure it was problem with that floppy, because I didn't have luck booting V2.01 ever. And because I don't have that computer at home, I couldn't use internet to find myself new one since grandma is still fighting against connecting to world.

BTW. You were right about that board name.

P_20160827_142309_zpsq9l2yyps.jpg