VOGONS

First post, by UltimaPlayer12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently built a Windows 98 machine for 9x/DOS gaming and was wanting to capture some of the games I will be playing. I have an S3 Virge and will be adding a 3DFX Voodoo, and as such have no S-Video or AV out. Is there any hardware I could utilize to get an S-Video or AV Out port via PCI? I would prefer not having to switch GPUs, but if I have to then I will.

Reply 1 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
UltimaPlayer12 wrote:

I would prefer not having to switch GPUs

That's pretty much what you'd have to do. The alternative would be some kind of VGA capture device, and those can get very expensive.

Reply 2 of 7, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Options > change the video card to one with s-video out or use a vga capture card (expensive) or use a hdmi capture card with a VGA to HDMI adapter / converter box which are relatively cheap

Reply 3 of 7, by UltimaPlayer12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
synrgy87 wrote:

Options > change the video card to one with s-video out or use a vga capture card (expensive) or use a hdmi capture card with a VGA to HDMI adapter / converter box which are relatively cheap

Would one of these work with an S3 Virge/3DFX Voodoo2?

The Beast 2.0:
CPU: AMD K6-III 450MHz GPU: Nvidia FX 5600 128MB HDD: 20GB (Seagate?) Mobo: ASUS P5A-B RAM: 512MB Sound Card: SB 16 PnP ISA OS: Windows 98 SE

Reply 4 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
UltimaPlayer12 wrote:

Would one of these work with an S3 Virge/3DFX Voodoo2?

Nope, nope, nope. I'm sure hundreds (if not thousands) of those are bought every year by people completely unable to use them. Monoprice has much more explicit warnings on their site, but I'm surprised they keep trying to sell them at all.
http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=2509

In theory, there are highly specialized video cards out there that can use that cable, by specifically routing the appropriate signals through otherwise unused pins in the interface. But if they exist at all, and I've seen no indication that they do, I expect they're thoroughly ancient cards completely impractical for any gaming.

But there definitely are VGA to AV converters out there. They're substantially bulkier devices that look like this:
https://www.amazon.ca/Generic-Monoprice-10472 … r/dp/B001CJOLBW

Those will probably work, depending on the specific resolution you want to use. (It definitely isn't particularly sharp at higher resolutions.)

Last edited by Jorpho on 2016-09-12, 21:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 7, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:

But there definitely are VGA to AV converters out there. They're substantially bulkier devices that look like this:
https://www.amazon.ca/Generic-Monoprice-10472 … r/dp/B001CJOLBW

Those will probably work, depending on the specific resolution you want to use. (It definitely isn't particularly sharp at higher resolutions.)

I used to use one of these 😀 They definitely work!

YouTube, Facebook, Website