VOGONS

First post, by UltimaPlayer12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys, so I've been working on my Win 9x machine a lot today and was trying to play Blood. Unfortunately, I can't get sound working and I'm confused as to what's going on. I'm not extremely well versed in hardware from this era, so excuse the question that may be obvious... If I run the Sound Blaster 16 DOS drivers it automatically sets the High DMA channel to 1, which means it's using low DMA mode which games don't always seem to like. If I try and set it to any of the other options, it says that there is a hardware conflict. Is there any way to correct this easily? Do ISA and PCI cards use the same DMA requests? Probably something easy to fix, and I'm just not thinking right about how to resolve this.

The Beast 2.0:
CPU: AMD K6-III 450MHz GPU: Nvidia FX 5600 128MB HDD: 20GB (Seagate?) Mobo: ASUS P5A-B RAM: 512MB Sound Card: SB 16 PnP ISA OS: Windows 98 SE

Reply 1 of 3, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can try to manually modify your config file for Blood to DMA 1 for 16 bit. It works for Duke Nukem 3D that uses the same game engine.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 3, by UltimaPlayer12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kamerat wrote:

You can try to manually modify your config file for Blood to DMA 1 for 16 bit. It works for Duke Nukem 3D that uses the same game engine.

I would like to know if there's a way to correct this entirely on the machine, if not then I'll have to do this. Thanks for the info!

The Beast 2.0:
CPU: AMD K6-III 450MHz GPU: Nvidia FX 5600 128MB HDD: 20GB (Seagate?) Mobo: ASUS P5A-B RAM: 512MB Sound Card: SB 16 PnP ISA OS: Windows 98 SE

Reply 3 of 3, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do you have a PnP card, one that's jumper configurable, or one that is soft configurable using diagnose? If the card does not use PnP, have you manually reserved DMA 1 and 5 in BIOS (along with IRQ 5 or 7)?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder