VOGONS

First post, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi everyone

I recently bought a Geforce 256 wich uses SGRAM and that was manufactured by asus (it's name is "asus V6800")

DirectX is mostly fine (except in Unreal Tournament 99 where for some reasons few textures have wrong pixels), but for example in half life, i'm getting this :
1474209581-c0a00002.png

As you can see, the scene is as it should be, but the text, and the characters are completely blank for some reasons ...
I tried this card on two computers, and I got the same result. I'm using the original drivers from asus (asus provides custom nvidia 43.x drivers for this card). 3Dmark 99 is fine, RE-Volt is fine, Half Life in directx mode is mostly fine (there are a few "jumps" sometimes in the picture, but this is maybe related to me not having activated V-Sync (but those aren't V-Sync artifacts)) but I'm having also little issues with 2D sometimes (like few pixels randomly placed around an icon, the background of a windows not refreshing correctly, but these are minor issues)

So the final question is : is my card dead or is there another issue somewhere ? (drivers ? as I said, I tried Asus drivers, but I also tried original drivers from nvidia from 1999-2000 and it detected the card as a Geforce DDR. But this had exactly the same issues)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 1 of 17, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Deksor wrote:

I'm using the original drivers from asus (asus provides custom nvidia 43.x drivers for this card).

A likely culprit.
OpenGL tends to be rather buggy.
So the game probably only works correctly with certain versions of the drivers, and your custom drivers probably aren't among them.
I would suggest trying the latest official nVidia drivers for the card (there is usually nothing special in these 'custom drivers', aside from some additional tools, which you can generally use alongside different versions of the driver as well. Eg, I have an Asus GF2GTS from that era, which had a temperature and fan RPM sensor. The Asus utility worked fine with every NV driver I ever used, and the custom drivers that came with the card were outdated and buggy, so I just updated to the latest NV drivers).

If you can't find working drivers, then you're SOL. There's a reason why OpenGL was replaced by DirectX. This is that reason. DX generally works, OpenGL generally doesn't.

There is nothing wrong with the card anyway. The card doesn't 'know' whether it works with OpenGL, DX or whatever other API. It just renders polygons. If it works fine with DX, then the card is fine, and it's a driver problem.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 2 of 17, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tried regular Nvidia drivers, however I didn't tried the latest for that card.

Well this is really a shame ...

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 3 of 17, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote:

I tried regular Nvidia drivers, however I didn't tried the latest for that card.

Well this is really a shame ...

It's definitely a driver issue. Try older or newer nvidia drivers.

Reply 4 of 17, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For now I tried the first drivers available for the geforce 256 (The 3.68 driver, the 5.32 driver and the 6.18 drivers) that you can find on PhilsComputerLab's website

Reply 5 of 17, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been using the 12.90 WHQL drivers from Nvidia with my Asus V6600 GF256 card for at least a year, and it works like a charm. No problems whatsoever. I do realize your card is another model, but it could be worth a try at least.

Reply 6 of 17, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tried 12.41WHQL and 12.90 (I didn't found the whql version of this one) and I have still the same issues 😒

Reply 7 of 17, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you drop Half Life to 800x600 (if that is an option?), does it bring back the textures?

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 8 of 17, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It seems you are not alone in this:

https://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/show … ife-and-GeForce

Also have a look here:

http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=944511

Reply 9 of 17, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote:

I tried 12.41WHQL and 12.90 (I didn't found the whql version of this one) and I have still the same issues 😒

try reinstalling direct x 8.1 - i had the same issue with my creative 3d blaster annihilator. It only went away with a clean windows 98 reinstall. What happened is I installed DX9c for win98 - it seems to have caused the issue. After a clean install using fw 41.09 and DX 8.1 HL worked fine.

Reply 11 of 17, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm currently testing some hardware I'm going to sell and since I have a V6800DDR and Half-Life, I thought "Why not?".

My card exhibits the same problem when running Half-Life. But when I update it to 1.1.1.0 it runs just fine. No more missing text/textures. Just give it a go and report.
Last update for Half-Life is 1.1.1.2.

Reply 12 of 17, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting. So is this problem only related to Asus' V6800 or to all geforce 256 ?

Reply 13 of 17, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote:

Interesting. So is this problem only related to Asus' V6800 or to all geforce 256 ?

Well, I have a couple from Creative. Maybe I'll give them a run.

Reply 14 of 17, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Trashed a the last few posts.

Guys, no personal attacks please. Attack the message, not the messenger. I'm not taking sides, this goes for everyone involved.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 17 of 17, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ehm looks like the card still have a problem because the text seem to like to corrupt itself in DOS mode (oddly, not on all programs) ... maybe this is due to bad legacy VGA support ? But it seems kind of odd ...