VOGONS

Reply 21 of 27, by Braca862

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I recently bought a Dell Dimension XPS T500 running Windows 98 and I also bought a SL4BS 1GHZ slot 1 CPU. When I inserted the new CPU into the slot, the computer refuses to boot, no display. So I reinserted the old CPU and it boots normally. What seems to be the problem? Incompatibility?

Reply 22 of 27, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a Dell Optiplex GX1. It originally came with a P2-333. It can run a P3-1000 (100MHz FSB), but I needed to change the BIOS. However, the latest BIOS does NOT let you use any P3 above 800MHz or so. You need one of the earlier BIOS. Not sure if this applies to the Dimension or not.

Reply 23 of 27, by Braca862

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't understand why an updated BIOS does not support 1GHz CPU's. Im not sure if my T500's BIOS. Anyways here's a picture of the SL4BS CPU that I bought. It came with some kind of circuit board. What is it used for? Where do I plug it?

29335732854_eb297d77fc_k.jpg20160927_081152 by Pedro Bracamonte, on Flickr

UPDATE: I got a response from the seller who sold me the CPU and here's what he had to say:

Hello, […]
Show full quote

Hello,

Unfortunately, all research points to that this CPU is not compatible with the Dimension T500.
The Intel SL4BS CPU has a 133 FSB.

"Like the R-series, these machines (Dimension T-Series) do not support 133 MHz FSB processors. You must use a CPU with either a 100 or 66 MHz FSB speed"

As far as the green-board part.

We're not entirely certain which component it would be without a bit more deatil (P/N, board stamps, etc.).

Regards,
-Keith

So my question is, what CPU will work on this Dimension T500?

Reply 24 of 27, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The small green board is a removable voltage regulator. Presumably it's a Coppermine compatible VRM, but that's assuming the seller knew what they were doing when they included it. It's only useful on boards that have a socket to plug it in to. I'm not sure exactly what motherboard is in the T500 but if it's one of the Intel SE440BX series of boards then it won't have that socket. The VRM on those motherboards is a permanent part of the board (like most motherboards). Your board is probably Coppermine compatible but I don't want to say that with certainty because I don't know enough about that model.

You need a slot-1 CPU with a 100MHz FSB. CPU-World.com is good for searching this. Unfortunately the Slot-1 1GHz CPUs with 100MHz FSB are usually expensive to get hold of - they've always been in high demand because they're the fastest upgrade for many boards (including yours). I think the next step down is 850MHz.
The Socket-370 versions of 1GHz P3s might be easier to get but then you have to fiddle with an adapter, and it seems you have to be careful with compatibility on those also.

For a Pentium 3 slot-1 1GHz 100FSB, CPU-World lists SL4BR and SL4KL. For the same specs in socket 370 (needing an adapter) they list SL5QV.
For socket-370 Celeron (again needing an adapter) at 1.1GHz/100FSB the codes are SL5XR and SL5XU. Be careful there - other codes of 1.1GHz Celerons are Tualatin based which opens another mess of incompatibility. The compatible Celerons will (usually) have an exposed die and their voltage spec will be 1.75v.

The 1.0GHz Pentium 3 should almost always be faster than the 1.1GHz Celeron due to larger cache.

This assumes your board supports Coppermine CPUs. If it doesn't then none of these will work. Is the working CPU a Coppermine? I don't know if support for them is universal on these machines or not.

Reply 27 of 27, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No that's a Socket 370 CPU and you have Slot 1. You can get adaptors or slocket adaptor though. Something like this
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/common … ot1_Adapter.jpg