VOGONS

First post, by Munwele

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I have a Dell 828FI 15-inch CRT monitor. Will this be any good for DOS gaming?
Sorry for the picture, I was not able to find a decent picture of it.

7984b86e-459a-49bc-83a7-79b2871b5f80.jpg

Cheers.

Reply 1 of 3, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Short answer: it's OK if you like it 😀

Long answer: there are a lot of factors to consider, most of which have more to do with the condition of your unit rather than its specs.

1) is it bright enough? CRT screens tend to get dimmer with age. Can you turn up the brightness to comfortable levels and still have proper blacks?
2) is it vivid enough? Are the colors OK in general? For me, the main thing about CRTs are their rich and vibrant colors — something that really stands out in 256 color games. Also, some cheaper screens can get the colors wrong. Also, there may be some age-related artifacts.
3) is it comfortable? I.e. can you use it at high resolutions (1024 x 768 for instance) without eye-straining flicker? By the looks of it, you should be fine though.

Some people also worry about dot pitch: that is, does the screen make the pixelated graphics in VGA or sub-VGA games too "crisp". Your screen has 0.28 pitch, so I guess it could be too modern for that.

Hope that helps.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog