VOGONS

First post, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Without a mouse for my 486, or some sort of virtual keyboard to mouse TSR, I'm gonna have to use the PII 233 system I have to play Alien Legacy and some other things.

However, Alien Legacy seems to run too fast on anything past a first-generation Pentium. It's minor, but some animations are extremely jarring, etc.

So what can I do to slow down a PII in software? A PIII? What's the 2016 solution for software based slowdowns?
Semi related: What's the newest thing that had support for turbo? If I understand right it would be physically impossible after the first Pentium.
Unrelated: What does the P in P5/6 mean? Pentium: 586?

Reply 1 of 14, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You could experiment with disabling the cache in the bios and see if that does it. Have you considered using DOSbox on a more modern system?

Reply 2 of 14, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Rhuwyn wrote:

You could experiment with disabling the cache in the bios and see if that does it. Have you considered using DOSbox on a more modern system?

Yeah but I'm sure folks around here know the JOY of real systems.

Reply 3 of 14, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you want a system you can slow down you are looking at a K6-2/3 or VIA CPU. I don't think there is much you can do with a P2 unless the multiplier is unlocked you can under clock it and disabling the cache does do a lot in that department as well.

Reply 4 of 14, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It might be unlocked, it's a Dell XPS D233 and has has a "maintainence mode" on the bios that allows for setting the processor from 200-450 (lol) Mhz.
Dell /literally/ left the ability to overclock for anyone who was into that, kinda weird/neat.

E: Hmm, searching around it seems that the multiplier is unlocked, but the bios hides most of the options. Is there any way to try a 66x1 fsb/multiplier through software?

Reply 5 of 14, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Only way I am aware of setting multiplier by software is the setmul utility which I believe only works with K6, VIA, and certain Cyrix CPUs.

Reply 6 of 14, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

50 to 133MHz FSB on a BX Mainboard

This thread seems to have some info, gonna try that out in a bit. 50fsb x2mult would equal a first-gen P100, I think- except with MMX and some other instructions, which I assume this game would just ignore.

Reply 7 of 14, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are bios tools that can unhide options. If You can dump it and upload here, I can give it a try for you.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 8 of 14, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What tool do you prefer I use?
E: Although actually, this is like- a very, very, important system to me so that might be a bad idea.

Reply 9 of 14, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unless You screw up badly the tools are nearly foolproof. If it's a AMI bios, then an old version of AMIBCP will do the trick.
If it's a Award bios, then Award bios editor. Old versions are required for these old bioses.
I have done this on my 486 and Athlon XP motherboard bioses, no problems encountered.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 12 of 14, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Imperious wrote:

Unless You screw up badly the tools are nearly foolproof. If it's a AMI bios, then an old version of AMIBCP will do the trick.
If it's a Award bios, then Award bios editor. Old versions are required for these old bioses.
I have done this on my 486 and Athlon XP motherboard bioses, no problems encountered.

Where did you find an old version of AMIBCP ? I'm very interested

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 13 of 14, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SRQ wrote:

Is there any way to try a 66x1 fsb/multiplier through software?

No, Pentium II/III cannot be jumpered to run at 1x multiplier. 2x is the lowest possible with a Pentium II (early production), on the right motherboard that is.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 14 of 14, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SRQ wrote:

Unrelated: What does the P in P5/6 mean? Pentium: 586?

Yeah, I would guess because it was a "586" and they called it Pentium, so you end up with codename "P5". I don't know what, for example, "P54C" means though.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.