VOGONS

Reply 40 of 56, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
agent_x007 wrote:

@kanecvr
First 3,2GHz Pentium 4 : LINK (June 2003)
First Intel CPU over 3GHz mark : LINK (Nov. 2002)

Oh I see thanks for clearing that up. I had a feeling intel had a 3GHz available in 2002 but wasn't very sure.

Reply 41 of 56, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kanecvr wrote:

Barton's aren't hot. It makes a lot less heat then most P4's. Noise-wise it really depends on the cooler. I use a copper core aluminum Arctic Cooling Copper Lite on my Athlon 3200+ build and the noisiest thing in the machine is the video card. The CPU never goes over 61-62 celsius onder load, and hovers around 39-40c in desktop. My old socket 478 build (SL7E6 3.4GHz + gigabyte GA-8IPE1000) used to hover around 46-47C in desktop and went as high as 75 celsius in games - and that's with a full copper cooler. It eventually killed the motherboard (a mosfet popped). The only thing that could keep that CPU cool is my Tuniq Tower witch killed another motherboard (Asus P4P800 Deluxe) with it's weigh. The flimsy asus PCB had a role in it too. Long story short, I'm never building a high end socket 478 rig again. Unless I find an ABIT IS7 or AI7.... 😁

Power-wise the faster P4 cpus use quite a bit more juice then their Athlon XP counterparts. A lot more. Oddly enough, entry level parts are more power efficient then AMD chips - an XP 1800+ uses a bit more power then a P4 at 1.8GHz - but the P4 makes more heat.

I see netburst chips as big honky V8's (and I love V8 engines) as opposed to the XP line witch is more like a turbocharged in line 6 - and there's only so much power you can get out of a 6-pot 😁. With LGA775 intel turbocharged their V8 monstrosities, (think pentium D and Pentium EE) making high performance chips witch were competitive with early athlon 64 chips.

Well, I only had experience up the XP 3200+ and I completely missed the P4 one back in the days switching later for the A64, so the Barton was probably one of the hottest cpu tried. Probably I will go for the LGA775 solution to use less power demanding versions and still having some new features that could help. But I understand your point about V8 engines. 😁

Reply 42 of 56, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Update: I built the machine I had in mind to test as main pc for home/office work. This is the config:

Coolermaster Elite 361 case
Enermax EG 365 supply (31A for 3,3/5 rail)
Athlon XP 3200+/400Mhz
Asrock K7Upgrade-600 KT600 board
2x1GB DDR400
ATi Radeon 9600 256Mb AGP8X
Kingston 30GB SSD Sata disk
Samsung DVD Sata drive

all at default values. I've no modern Win os to try so I had to choose a Linux based distro and I went actually for Lubuntu 15 that use a modern kernel for modern applications. I didn't expect it to work but probably thank to the PAE feature of the cpu it actually run. At the end I decided to try the Radeon 9600 card cause seems to require few watt to run and I keep the total computer wattage close to 100W idle and 130W top (no 3D) (measured at the plug); 5V rail is at 4,97V (good considering the 75W Barton) and I could easily try more on this but I don't want to stress this old power supply. With the Radeon 9500 I was approximately at 120W idle and 150W top (no 3D).

Feelings: I am quiet impressed by the whole system! Lubuntu 15 is quiet recent os and still the system seems to run really well in system applications. With the modern browsers obviously you feel the lack of recent cpu features and power, cache etc.. but still it run quiet fast and you just need a bit more patience in heavy pages and you can't expect the smooth pages of any dual/quad core cpu. LXDE gui of Lubuntu is really simple and similar to XP so the Radeon 9600 is as good as even older cards to my opinion with the open driver. I think that the whole system benefit A LOT of the SSD disk as usual.

Disk bench:
Timing cached reads: = 278.76 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: = 95.81 MB/sec

Reply 43 of 56, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
386SX wrote:
Update: I built the machine I had in mind to test as main pc for home/office work. This is the config: Coolermaster Elite 361 c […]
Show full quote

Update: I built the machine I had in mind to test as main pc for home/office work. This is the config:

Athlon XP 3200+/400Mhz
2x1GB DDR400
Samsung DVD Sata drive

all at default values. I've no modern Win os to try so I had to choose a Linux based distro and I went actually for Lubuntu 15 that use a modern kernel for modern applications. I didn't expect it to work but probably thank to the PAE feature of the cpu it actually run. At the end I decided to try the Radeon 9600 card cause seems to require few watt to run and I keep the total computer wattage close to 100W idle and 130W top (no 3D) (measured at the plug); 5V rail is at 4,97V (good considering the 75W Barton) and I could easily try more on this but I don't want to stress this old power supply. With the Radeon 9500 I was approximately at 120W idle and 150W top (no 3D).

Feelings: I am quiet impressed by the whole system! Lubuntu 15 is quiet recent os and still the system seems to run really well in system applications. With the modern browsers obviously you feel the lack of recent cpu features and power, cache etc.. but still it run quiet fast and you just need a bit more patience in heavy pages and you can't expect the smooth pages of any dual/quad core cpu. LXDE gui of Lubuntu is really simple and similar to XP so the Radeon 9600 is as good as even older cards to my opinion with the open driver. I think that the whole system benefit A LOT of the SSD disk as usual.

Disk bench:

Good build, i have an Athlon XP 3000+ (FSB 400, 2.1 GHz) and a MSI KT6V-LSR (MS-7021) which still works well

About Linux, Ubuntu 16.04 will be the last version for 32 bit sadly

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 44 of 56, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ubuntu =/= Linux

You may have to switch to a different distribution, but that shouldn't be a big chore.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 45 of 56, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Carlos S. M. wrote:
386SX wrote:
Update: I built the machine I had in mind to test as main pc for home/office work. This is the config: Coolermaster Elite 361 c […]
Show full quote

Athlon XP 3200+/400Mhz
2x1GB DDR400
Samsung DVD Sata drive

Disk bench:

Good build, i have an Athlon XP 3000+ (FSB 400, 2.1 GHz) and a MSI KT6V-LSR (MS-7021) which still works well

About Linux, Ubuntu 16.04 will be the last version for 32 bit sadly

I didn't know that! As said trying another distribution of Linux should solve the problem! Ubuntu seems great for the compatibility having drivers for really many components but it would be nice to see if customizing at the best the kernel and the system for each single components with other "linux" could be even faster or not.

I would like to see if a better video card make some difference with LXDE. Ubuntu should need a pixel shader card I think to run smooth on the gui so I would expect "the faster, the better" but LXDE gui seems accelerated in older simpler ways. The difference beetween the Radeon 7200 (R100) and the Radeon 9600 (RV350) is not much I'd say just a bit smoother but it difficult to say.

Reply 46 of 56, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

LXDE does not do compositing by default. It will use something like EXA for it's draw calls. This is well supported by the R300 driver and should not be significantly accelerated by having a faster card installed.

Reply 47 of 56, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Latest version of Windows would be Windows XP. Most versions of Linux should run ok for basic tasks. Which one you use is really a matter of preference it comes down to neck and neck for me.

Reply 48 of 56, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

LXDE does not do compositing by default. It will use something like EXA for it's draw calls. This is well supported by the R300 driver and should not be significantly accelerated by having a faster card installed.

Thanks! As I was thinking, the Radeon 9600 in fact seems fast enough and running silence and easy on power.

For the os, I don't have XP but it would be overally the best os considering drivers and also games that I can't run on Lubuntu. Maybe only browsers would be limited.

Reply 49 of 56, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Rhuwyn wrote:

Latest version of Windows would be Windows XP. Most versions of Linux should run ok for basic tasks. Which one you use is really a matter of preference it comes down to neck and neck for me.

Last Windows version to run on a Athlon XP is Windows 7 SP1 (Windows 8 Consumer Preview if you count Beta versions), although Vista/7 is not really optimal for an Athlon XP

Last Ubuntu version is 16.04.1 LTS which is the last ubuntu for 32 bit x86, but at least is an LTS release

Other linux distros might work, but i'm not really familiarized with them. I know i got Ubuntu MATE running on a Celeron 2.6 GHz Northwood with 512 MB RAM and Intel Extreme Graphics (i845GL) fine

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 50 of 56, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've tried to live with a my oldie but goodie athlon xp 2600+ in 2012 with 3 gb of ram, a SSD, 7800GS, Windows 7 and it did surprisingly well for what it was.
The most extreme situation of this kind i have at the moment is the computer in my garage which i use to hear mp3 or view youtube videos and other stuff while running steam chat and skype, all under Lubuntu. And you wouldn't believe what that machine is..it's actually a Pentium 3 1Ghz with only 512 of ram and a Geforce 6200.
Lubuntu really helps here, and both skype and steam chat are running under pidgin which helps a lot.
As for youtube videos i have the VLC plugin installed on firefox and it's configured to open all videos @480p. Incredible what you can do with pretty limited resources with the right software.
Oh, and no SSD on that one, only a regular mechanical 160GB sata1 hard drive.

My 2001 gaming beast in all it's "Pentium 4 Williamate" Glory!

Reply 51 of 56, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rick6 wrote:
I've tried to live with a my oldie but goodie athlon xp 2600+ in 2012 with 3 gb of ram and, a SSD and a 7800GS and Windows 7 and […]
Show full quote

I've tried to live with a my oldie but goodie athlon xp 2600+ in 2012 with 3 gb of ram and, a SSD and a 7800GS and Windows 7 and it did surprisingly well for what it was.
The most extreme situation of this kind i have at the moment is the computer in my garage which i use to hear mp3 or view youtube videos and other stuff while running steam chat and skype, all under Lubuntu. And you wouldn't believe what that machine is..it's actually a Pentium 3 1Ghz with only 512 of ram and a Geforce 6200.
Lubuntu really helps here, and both skype and steam chat are running under pidgin which helps a lot.
As for youtube videos i have the VLC plugin installed on firefox and it's configured to open all videos @480p. Incredible what you can do with pretty limited resources with the right software.
Oh, and no SSD on that one, only a regular mechanical 160GB sata1 hard drive.

I've similar config too, a Celeron 1300, 1GB ram and Geforce 6200 as media player (not hd). I didn' know about the VLC plugin, did it use some acceleration compared to the original html5 video? I could use it too. With the Barton and Lubuntu, I can see the original html5 pages up to 360p smooth (90% cpu), 480p are too much.
Actually I've cheap ram CL3 3-4-4-8 @ 400 and maybe I could see some improvements when I'll get some CL2 pair.

Reply 52 of 56, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

Another question, with LXDE did also a browser like Firefox depends on it for the smoothness of web pages or it has it's own technique?

Reply 53 of 56, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
386SX wrote:

I've similar config too, a Celeron 1300, 1GB ram and Geforce 6200 as media player (not hd). I didn' know about the VLC plugin, did it use some acceleration compared to the original html5 video? I could use it too. With the Barton and Lubuntu, I can see the original html5 pages up to 360p smooth (90% cpu), 480p are too much.
Actually I've cheap ram CL3 3-4-4-8 @ 400 and maybe I could see some improvements when I'll get some CL2 pair.

With that plugin i basically i rightclick the youtube video i want to see and it allows me to open that video on the VLC Player. In VLC Input codecs under Preferred Video resolution you pick the 576/480 lines option and you're all done (you do this step only once and it will always work like that). Videos run perfectly smooth this way in full screen.
Actually i should try this with a even lower cpu and see how it goes. Maybe a Pentium ou celeron 300\450Mhz.

My 2001 gaming beast in all it's "Pentium 4 Williamate" Glory!

Reply 54 of 56, by Daviana

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'd think they'd be similar if the chipsets were also contemporary. I'd always had AMD growing up because it was cheaper, recently got some free p4 hardware, replaced the bulged caps and it's pretty decent. Big thing is the HT which would be helpful on a modern OS, the P4 was always faster at encoding video from what I remember but unlikely anyone would be doing that these days on such an old machine.

Be happy with the 3200+ and play around with different video cards, if you can get a P4 for almost nothing to play around with and see how it goes. I'd run benchmarks for you but right now but I only have an XP 2600 with a SiS735 and a P4 2.8 on a 875 which is a much more advanced chipset.

Reply 55 of 56, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Carlos S. M. wrote:
Last Windows version to run on a Athlon XP is Windows 7 SP1 (Windows 8 Consumer Preview if you count Beta versions), although Vi […]
Show full quote
Rhuwyn wrote:

Last Windows version to run on a Athlon XP is Windows 7 SP1 (Windows 8 Consumer Preview if you count Beta versions), although Vista/7 is not really optimal for an Athlon XP

Last Ubuntu version is 16.04.1 LTS which is the last ubuntu for 32 bit x86, but at least is an LTS release

Other linux distros might work, but i'm not really familiarized with them. I know i got Ubuntu MATE running on a Celeron 2.6 GHz Northwood with 512 MB RAM and Intel Extreme Graphics (i845GL) fine

I meant that it's the latest version you should run realistically. Not the latest version that is technically possible.

Reply 56 of 56, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
386SX wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:

Another question, with LXDE did also a browser like Firefox depends on it for the smoothness of web pages or it has it's own technique?

Firefox does it's rendering independently using the RENDER extension or optionally via OpenGL. For this, mature drivers like you have with the R9600 should offer good performance. It's not a massively complex task, so driver optimization is arguably more critical.
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Blocklisting/Blocked … _Drivers#On_X11