VOGONS

First post, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok...so not *exactly* retro anything related, but you guys are the best font of knowledge I know on these types of questions.

I've been decommissioning some machines at work, and they let me take any parts I want as long as I leave the hard drives for a disposal company. Several older Slot1 machines have already been stripped for RAM and CPUs, but there was a stack of servers. One of them was a Google-kit Dell R710. I managed to pull out 2x Xeon e5520 chips and 48gigs of RAM. The memory is all RDIMM so that'l almost useless unless I go nuts finding a specific board. The CPUs though...may be useful.

I'm thinking of trying to use these parts for a new Handbrake and server box so I can dedicate my main machine to gaming. Are there any board that can take the chips and memory and not cost a bajillion dollars?

Secondary question...would I be able to use these parts as the basis of an overkill XP system? 😀

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 1 of 8, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Most LGA1366 CPUs were used in servers, so motherboards will be server-type, without bells and whistles. Many will require proprietary risers etc. But if you spend some time on ebay, you'll find some usable stuff for <$100. Avoid Dell (many require daughterboards which are usually not sold with the motherboard, so you'd have to do some hunting around). HP server boards seem to be pretty standard-compliant. I was actually on the verge of buying a dual 1366 board a few weeks ago but someone snagged it before me. IIRC it was about $60 or so.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 2 of 8, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My main system is based off this motherboard: http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboar … 00/X8DAH_-F.cfm

But i'm using X5690's. I got mine for $200 shipped, but it also included ram and some similar chips to the 5520's. There are many other dual 1366 server boards on supermicro's website, all will cost differently on ebay. I got mine for the 3-16x pci-e slots. 😀 That said this particular board is OMGWTFBBQ big. Check your case before buying.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 3 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Workstation version of a R710 is the Precision T5500. Nice machines, got one myself running ESX for sandbox VM's with ram/CPU pulled from a R710.
But as stamasd said the 2nd CPU does need a raiser that I ended up having to get from the USA for even a 1/2 decent price.

Here is 1 in the UK that's about to end to give you a rough idea on price, although Dell stuff is more common/cheaper in the US then here.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-Precision-T550 … fgAAOSww4NXqOBR

Reply 4 of 8, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
stamasd wrote:

Most LGA1366 CPUs were used in servers, so motherboards will be server-type, without bells and whistles.

a lot of high end x58 boards can use xeons. but your only get one cpu. The sr-2 can use dual xeons, but its way over priced.

Reply 5 of 8, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, this little project has died an early death. The people at work have decided to reuse the R710 so I have to bring the parts back.

I learned a bunch about 1366 socket stuff from you guys though. Thanks anyway!

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 6 of 8, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't let that deter you. You can find LGA1366 Xeons for peanuts these days. I recently got a few for about $3 each.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 7 of 8, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stamasd wrote:

Don't let that deter you. You can find LGA1366 Xeons for peanuts these days. I recently got a few for about $3 each.

LGA1366 are not cheap tough. If you are lucky you might find complete systems for less then the parts themselves - like the HP Z800 series. I got mine for 500$ and it has 48GB of ram, twin Xeon X5687 hexa-core CPUs running at 3.6GHz and a Radeon RX 470 (bought the video card, HDD and SSD separately). It makes an awesome render machine for 3dsmax, and I use it almost exclusively for that purpose.

Reply 8 of 8, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Why not just take the whole server next time? 😀

1+1=10