VOGONS

First post, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi all,

Recently I got my hands on some internal ZIP drives and a couple of diskettes. Unfortunately the disks are those initially "MAC formatted".
Now I do remember using the Windows tools to format such disks in the past, but I'm going to use the drives on pure DOS systems.

The question: Is there any way/utility to format ZIP drive disks in DOS?

I'm guessing that there isn't, so I'll have to connect a drive on a Win machine, install the software and format the disks on that. But I though to ask beforehand, since it's quite a thing to do and this way I can also solve what's still a puzzle for me after all these years 😀

Reply 2 of 9, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DOS brings a external command called format.com that allows to format changeable media as well. It does work with ZIP disks.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 3 of 9, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Really, you can format ZIP disks with the classic DOS format.com? That's excellent news, I always thought a specific format tool from Iomega was needed. I kinda feel stupid now.
(elianda, I do admire your sarcasm level 😉 )

Reply 4 of 9, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OK, revisiting this since I may not have made my intentions clear enough.

DOS' format apparently is a quick format, finishes in 1". Except from the fact that the manual itself discourages its use unless a long format from the Iomega tools has been made on the disk (then its OK to use it -I find no logic in this to be honest), it has another drawback: ZIP disks come pre-formatted. In case you want to re-format a MAC formatted disk for use on a DOS system, format.com simply fails. You need to use Iomega's utility. The good news is that the Windows tool is not the only option for doing so.

GUEST.EXE which can be run in autoexec or from the command line suffices only for accessing the drive. "Iomega SCSI Software For DOS" provides config.sys drivers and a proper replacement for the Windows tools through SCSIUTIL.EXE (long format included). Yes, SCSI is misleading, parallel and ATA/ATAPI drivers do function as virtual SCSI devices.

So there is an official tool to perform a long format of a ZIP disk in pure DOS. An excellent source of information on this is
http://pw2.netcom.com/~deepone/zipjaz/index.html
Although links are outdated, filenames are there and the actual files can still be found easily elsewhere. In particular this page describes what I wrapped in 2 lines.

Reply 5 of 9, by rodimus80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I performed Tech Support for iomega back in 1998-1999. Zip and Jazz drives are garbage. Pure garbage. Unless you just want to own one to say you did I would just forget they existed. Horrible hardware that would always break and take all data with it.

Reply 7 of 9, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rodimus80 wrote:

I performed Tech Support for iomega back in 1998-1999. Zip and Jazz drives are garbage. Pure garbage. Unless you just want to own one to say you did I would just forget they existed. Horrible hardware that would always break and take all data with it.

Agree, I was also working at support those years and you're absolutely right. I don't intend to actually use it to transfer files etc, but I had used them a lot so I've got to have one now 😀 Call it hardware-nostalgia.

Reply 8 of 9, by rodimus80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
konc wrote:
rodimus80 wrote:

Agree, I was also working at support those years and you're absolutely right. I don't intend to actually use it to transfer files etc, but I had used them a lot so I've got to have one now 😀 Call it hardware-nostalgia.

Fair Enough 😵

Reply 9 of 9, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As long as they work, I don't see a problem with them.
But I have to admit that I kinda am biased here, I haven't had one die on me yet.

I do prefer the external ones though.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!