VOGONS

First post, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My 486 build has a basic CD-ROM drive probably from the early 2000s. I am able to read a CD-R disc that was burnt maybe 8ish years ago (can't remember which program was used) but when I burn a new CD-R using CDBurnerXP on my Windows 7 machine it cannot be read on the DOS machine. I burnt it at the slowest speed that was allowed. Do I need to use a different program to burn a disc to make it readable? Does it depend on what make of CD-R I am using?

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
16MB 72-pin SIMM RAM (2x8MB)
1MB Diamond Speedstar Pro VLB video card
SB 16 Value CT2770
AOpen VI15G Socket 3 Motherboard
HDD/FDD VLB controller card

Reply 1 of 7, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Be sure to have an ISO9660 file system structure, not UDF or anything else, and it'll work, or else it's your media/the drive is picky/needs a good cleaning!

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 2 of 7, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
psychz wrote:

Be sure to have an ISO9660 file system structure, not UDF or anything else, and it'll work, or else it's your media/the drive is picky/needs a good cleaning!

I don't think the drive is dirty, it can read other CD-Rs. I just noticed that on boot I get "MIX0014: low level driver error". What does that mean?

* Edit: I think that error is something to do with the sound card I took out some lines from the AUTOEXEC.BAT and just left the set blaster line and the error has gone away.

** Edit: Just found that CDBurnerXP does not use ISO9660 by default. Changed the file system and am now trying to burn another disc.

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
SB 16 Value CT2770

Reply 4 of 7, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Set CDBurnerXP to ISO9660 file system and the disc works!

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
SB 16 Value CT2770

Reply 6 of 7, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another possible issue you might encounter is that some CD-R discs are of poor quality and aren't easily read on older drives. As newer drives got more tolerant of poor media, the quality of media was allowed to slip. I've sometimes had to reburn things on higher quality discs to make them more compatible. However, most drives from the early 2000s are probably pretty good at reading most CDs.

Reply 7 of 7, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

+1 for ImgBurn from here....

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011