VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 14340 of 53040, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got another not very retro component. A Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 250GB. This one will be a donor drive to (hopefully) repair an identical one I want to get some data off of. The original drive has a damaged SATA connector but should be otherwise fine. I have tried repairing the connector and failed. Hopefully a circuit board switch followed by an EEPROM switch will do the trick.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 14341 of 53040, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
boxpressed wrote:

My SBCs with AMD P75s will be arriving soon. How did you pop off the heatsink/fan? Freezer or brute force?

Very slim ended screw driver pushed in between the top of the cpu and the heatsink, did not "pry" by twisting it, just gently pushed it in there and tap-tap-tap-tap with another screw driver gently (and slowly) and suddenly *crack noise* and heatsink pops off clean.

Then I went around the socket with the same very small ended screw driver. (like 1/16 inch wide slotted / bladed screw driver) and very gently twisted and pried against the socket and bottom of the chip. Would work a little on one corner, a little on another corner.. flip the whole thing go at it from another corner.. etc and try to pull it up uniformly and all of em popped free of the socket with a little delicate time, patience and a little work. And no bent pins.

Reply 14342 of 53040, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote:

I always thought the engraved AMD DX5-133V16BGC chips had newer datecodes than the ones with the printed white lettering, that is, until I saw this photo. I wonder why they produced these two differences at the same time...

I can't remember having seen these with such early date codes, perhaps these came from another plant which kept producing long after the one producing the white printed ones ceased production of P75?

Anonymous Coward wrote:

I believe you can release the tension on those heatsinks by turning them and sliding them off.

This is correct.
These also came for Socket 7 I believe (or could be s4? I'd have to go check), have had one in a box of CPU HSFs somewhere for ages. It's slightly bigger than a s3 one, but the heatsink is kinda pitiful for a Pentium.

Anyway, I have bought some neat stuff locally from time to time, but it's getting more difficult to do so successfully.
These include a SCSI CD burner from oktober 99 and a couple DVD drives (1 also can burn) with silver-colored bezels.
Also got a couple more white-bezeled DVD burners as I figure the black ones will be much more easy to find down the road and I like these white ones more with beige PC cases.

I was going to buy tons of cards from someone, but when I got to his front door the guy turned out to simply not be at home (he had forgotten and was nowhere near) and I haven't had time to make another visit (it's quite a distance).

Last edited by Tetrium on 2016-10-24, 23:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 14343 of 53040, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:
I can't remember having seen these with such early date codes, perhaps these came from another plant which kept producing long a […]
Show full quote
feipoa wrote:

I always thought the engraved AMD DX5-133V16BGC chips had newer datecodes than the ones with the printed white lettering, that is, until I saw this photo. I wonder why they produced these two differences at the same time...

I can't remember having seen these with such early date codes, perhaps these came from another plant which kept producing long after the one producing the white printed ones ceased production of P75?

Anonymous Coward wrote:

I believe you can release the tension on those heatsinks by turning them and sliding them off.

This is correct.
These also came for Socket 7 I believe, have had one in a box of CPU HSFs somewhere for ages. It's slightly bigger than a s3 one, but the heatsink is kinda pitiful for a Pentium.

See here: DSC06809.JPG

Unfortunately due to so many other components in the way, these can not be just "slid off" and have to be "popped off" instead.

Reply 14344 of 53040, by rkrenicki

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The heat sinks unscrew. You need to remove the memory module and give it a couple of turns. You can also slide it over the northbridge.

Reply 14345 of 53040, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rkrenicki wrote:

The heat sinks unscrew. You need to remove the memory module and give it a couple of turns. You can also slide it over the northbridge.

So they do.. that would of been nice to figure out earlier. Oh well.. I got em off anyway.

Reply 14346 of 53040, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Been trolling Craigslist. Found an ad from a couple months ago for several Gx series PowerMacs. Took a chance and contacted the lister. He still had them, took an offer and today I picked up:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bex94q9wlh7n6or/Fil … %20PM.jpeg?dl=0

2x B&W G3s that have had the plastic handles completely shattered. One has an exploded battery with damage all over the case so that one is 100% for parts
867mhz Quicksilver
2003 MDD (Fuck Yeah) This is exactly the machine I've been looking for. Damn thing is tricked out too. Max RAM, SATA PCI card, 2x250gb sata drives in RAID, GeForce 4 Ti 4600
Single 1.8ghz G5 (Guessing the 2005 cut-down model?)
Dual 2.0ghz G5 with some additions
19" Cinema Display (First ADC monitor for me. I think it's 19"?)
20"? Studio Display

Needless to say, I'll be having fun exploring what's in these things. The wife wants a G5 for a DAW, and I'll likely keep the MDD as my main PPC machine.

Oh yeah...all told...$75!!!

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 14347 of 53040, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finally, a ebay seller that knows what a antistatic bag is for, and also finally i have one of these 😁

IMG_20161025_184844_zpszizkulwe.jpg

Now i just hoje it works flawlessly like advertised!

My 2001 gaming beast in all it's "Pentium 4 Williamate" Glory!

Reply 14348 of 53040, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rick6 wrote:

Finally, a ebay seller that knows what a antistatic bag is for, and also finally i have one of these 😁

Supposedly they only work in certain systems if you're using older ones. Modern systems they should work in all of em but if you're trying to put it in an older computer before 2008.. and it doesn't work.. don't think the thing is dead, try it in other things. Generally nvidia-chipset or SLI certified motherboards, even though it's a single-slot solution. At least that's what I've heard.

Reply 14349 of 53040, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kithylin wrote:

Supposedly they only work in certain systems if you're using older ones. Modern systems they should work in all of em but if you're trying to put it in an older computer before 2008.. and it doesn't work.. don't think the thing is dead, try it in other things.

All i can say is that i tested it on a i3 2120 with some random Asus motherboard and it didn't work. I had Windows 10 on it, now i'm formatting the machine and i'm going to test windows 7 next. Man, i hope this works..

Reply 14350 of 53040, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rick6 wrote:
kithylin wrote:

Supposedly they only work in certain systems if you're using older ones. Modern systems they should work in all of em but if you're trying to put it in an older computer before 2008.. and it doesn't work.. don't think the thing is dead, try it in other things.

All i can say is that i tested it on a i3 2120 with some random Asus motherboard and it didn't work. I had Windows 10 on it, now i'm formatting the machine and i'm going to test windows 7 next. Man, i hope this works..

If you have any nForce 4/5/600 boards try those.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 14351 of 53040, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm afraid i just have a bad video card. Same symptoms on either a i3 2120 with a Asus motherboard or a Athlon 3200+ with a AsRock Dual SataII, windows 7 or 10. Video card either gives bluescreen, windows reports problems under hardware manager or no screen at all when it gets to windows after installing the drivers.

Any idea besides being a bad videocard?

Reply 14352 of 53040, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

If you have any nForce 4/5/600 boards try those.

Nope, i don't have any of those, but i believe it should at least work without any problem on the i3 2120.

I also have a Celeron G1840 Haswell based system, i should try on that tomorrow.

Reply 14353 of 53040, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kithylin wrote:
rick6 wrote:

Supposedly they only work in certain systems if you're using older ones. Modern systems they should work in all of em but if you're trying to put it in an older computer before 2008.. and it doesn't work.. don't think the thing is dead, try it in other things. Generally nvidia-chipset or SLI certified motherboards, even though it's a single-slot solution. At least that's what I've heard.

There is a registry hack that is still floating somewhere on the net that fools the driver into thinking you are using an sli certified board so you can enable sli on just about anything even older amd boards that would have only had crossfire support.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 14354 of 53040, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Could not say no at 40$
It will be some time until I have the extra money to buy the rest of the parts.
It will probably just be used for benchmarking.

Reply 14355 of 53040, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
boxpressed wrote:

Turtle Beach HOMAC wavetable daughterboard with Kurzweil synth. Came with the Pinnacle board. Sounds just like the onboard synth to me, but I may be missing something.

P1120519.JPG

HOMAC synth has global effects processors, the onboard synth has effects per midi channel + sampler and you can alter each GM instrument as you want.

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 14356 of 53040, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

These items arrived recently!

​First up is a new programmer. Apparently this is a really good one. I was using the Genius G540, but that one doesn't work well with older EPROM chips, which need 12 V to program. Apparently this one support it. I will find out soon 😀

And then I got an Adaptec ISA SCSI controller, the 1542CF. I don't have much experience with SCSI, but my research tells me that this is a very solid model.

dscn2397-1_orig.jpg

dscn2403-1_orig.jpg

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 14357 of 53040, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That is a really good controller. I think (not that I remember clearly) that I have managed to transfer 4 to 5 times faster on this, compared to a standard 1991 ide controller. Using this on a 486dx/dx2 and down, should provide higher performance than old IDE drives from that periode. CF cards however is a bit better solution, though this is a more modern and not era correct solution.

Give it a go, head to head with 1992/93 drives. It's absolutely fun. Just watch out for drives that make too much heat and noise. That is really a ball game on it's own. If you need converters, then 68/80 to 50 pin cable converters are cheap on eBay.

Once you have managed to set SCSI up correctly, it is faster to set up and 1000 times more fun to tinker with or less around with. SCSI have to many advantages over old early 90's ide technology.

Last edited by brostenen on 2016-10-26, 09:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 14358 of 53040, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought a whole bunch of CPU's and coolers on a whim. I spotted the Cyrix and the Overdrive in the pictures so I had to 😀 Still have to do inventory on them. Unfortunately, they all came from a smokers house, so the fans and coolers are really sticky and brown. I'm considering just dumping them, but there are many nice ones so I might just go scrubbing on them.

xN9cfA8l.jpg

1982 to 2001

Reply 14359 of 53040, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cyrix200+ wrote:
Bought a whole bunch of CPU's and coolers on a whim. I spotted the Cyrix and the Overdrive in the pictures so I had to :) Still […]
Show full quote

Bought a whole bunch of CPU's and coolers on a whim. I spotted the Cyrix and the Overdrive in the pictures so I had to 😀 Still have to do inventory on them. Unfortunately, they all came from a smokers house, so the fans and coolers are really sticky and brown. I'm considering just dumping them, but there are many nice ones so I might just go scrubbing on them.

xN9cfA8l.jpg

Alcohol and cotton tip's (Lots of it) 😉

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011