VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,
I bought this card made by Sapphire fanless design one to pair with my Barton 3200+ and Linux. As already seen here in the forum I knew that the bridge chip would have the pink pad on it and no heatsink, but testing it on wattage and temperature I discovered that the bridge chip almost burnt my finger to see how much it was hot. Maybe it's ok but I'd like to know if you can confirm no heatsink ever existed and that temperature is normal.
Thank

Reply 1 of 9, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't know if such a temperature is normal, but I instantly remember that pink stuff around the middle of the bridge chip, seems to be supposed to be that way.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 9, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:

I don't know if such a temperature is normal, but I instantly remember that pink stuff around the middle of the bridge chip, seems to be supposed to be that way.

I think the pad is more a protection ofr both the core and the resistors (or whatever they are) in the area of the core.I would put an heatsink with adesive thermal pad on it but I need a very specific small heatsink to let the pad there. Also the pad is a bit higher than the core itself so a bigger heatsink would not work.

Reply 5 of 9, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not putting a heatsink on these bridge chips caused all sorts of issues with the Powercolor and Club3d HD3850's, I think because they were
higher clocked and higher GPU voltage than most other brands. Putting a heatsink on there solved this problem for good, then I could crank the GPU up into the
high 800 range. If You put a heatsink make sure the card will still fit. I originally used sikkaflex to secure it, or something heat resistant.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 6 of 9, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Imperious wrote:

Not putting a heatsink on these bridge chips caused all sorts of issues with the Powercolor and Club3d HD3850's, I think because they were
higher clocked and higher GPU voltage than most other brands. Putting a heatsink on there solved this problem for good, then I could crank the GPU up into the
high 800 range. If You put a heatsink make sure the card will still fit. I originally used sikkaflex to secure it, or something heat resistant.

I need to find a very thin and rectangular heatsink that match the size of the core of the chip. Until now it seems to run ok even without anything on it.

Off topic: by the way a nice thing I discovered is that the 20/30W of the card seems to be mostly on the 12V rail cause passing from the 9600 (that consume less watt) to this card, the 5.0v rail went up to 5,00 from 4,95. So the psu maybe will be a bit less stressed considering the Barton.

Reply 8 of 9, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
386SX wrote:
Imperious wrote:

I need to find a very thin and rectangular heatsink that match the size of the core of the chip. Until now it seems to run ok even without anything on it.

Off topic: by the way a nice thing I discovered is that the 20/30W of the card seems to be mostly on the 12V rail cause passing from the 9600 (that consume less watt) to this card, the 5.0v rail went up to 5,00 from 4,95. So the psu maybe will be a bit less stressed considering the Barton.

RAM heatsink?

And I wonder if a fan could be enough cooling. Iirc these bridge chips were very small (harder to cool without a heatsink).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 9, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:
386SX wrote:
Imperious wrote:

RAM heatsink?

And I wonder if a fan could be enough cooling. Iirc these bridge chips were very small (harder to cool without a heatsink).

I thought about them but they are still bigger than I need. The core itself is smaller and I can't just put a ram heatsink on it without the problem of the pink pad. Somone maybe did remove it but I think that the pad is important considering the core's maybe fragile. And also the many resistors on the chip are extremely small and I don't think hard to accidentally remove.

About the fan, it would work but fan plus fan it begin to feel like an airplane this case. 😁 Anyway it's not easy to put a fan on the back of the vga and I don't like badly fixed solutions. 😉