VOGONS

First post, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought a few month ago a "PCI-P54C-TR4" motherboard which seems to be a neat motherboard (HX chipset, etc). However due to bad computer builder (I had it with it's AT tray), it was bent for years. I wanted to use it, but it started to crash randomly (sometimes it didn't POST). Now that I have a POST card, I can know exactly when it crashes. By applying pressure on different parts of the board when it doesn't want to work allows it to POST normally and even boot for a little while, but it's not something that is really durable ...

So is there a way to repair it ? I'd like so munch to be able to do that because as I said, it seems to be a very neat motherboard. I don't think that any components are broken, just the PCB that have been in an incorrect position for way too long

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 6, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh I forgot to mention that before I removed it from it's original tray, it was working without any problems.

Oddly, it seems that the more I use it, the less it crashes

Here are photos of the board

IMG_20161101_142738.jpg
Filename
IMG_20161101_142738.jpg
File size
937.85 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_20161101_142819.jpg
Filename
IMG_20161101_142819.jpg
File size
1.29 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

As you can see, it's not bent anymore, but on the tray it came with, it was very curvy here

Also, at some point when I first got it, I made THE mistake with the at psu, I plugged it with the red wires in the middle, but I don't think that it would be that thing that would cause that issue. Why applying pressure would make it work again like a charm ?

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 3 of 6, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh I've another problem yet ... The frequency generator seems to be completely broken ... Whatever I set, clock just sets itself to whatever it wants (stuff like 90MHz, 110MHz, 133MHz, 150MHz, 166MHz, even though I set 200MHz, 75MHz, or whatever, it's completely crazy). Here too, when I apply pressure on what seems to be the clock generator, the frequency changes (for example, when it displays 110MHz, when I apply pressure and reboot, it displays 120 or 150 instead).

Very very odd problem.

I thinked about using a heat gun. What do you think about doing that ?

Reply 4 of 6, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Given the age of these things it wouldn't be surprising if a trace broke when the board went back to its non-bent form after you removed it from the tray. If applying pressure seems to make it work properly then probably that's the culprit. Finding the broken trace is a whole another issue though.

As you say, it doesn't look bent at all now, but some of those old paper-thin taiwanese/chinese boards were probably more susceptible to problems due to bending.

Deksor wrote:

Also, at some point when I first got it, I made THE mistake with the at psu, I plugged it with the red wires in the middle, but I don't think that it would be that thing that would cause that issue.

Just plugging the cables incorrectly shouldn't be an issue as long as you didn't turn the power supply on before realizing your mistake, but it's not clear from your post. If you did in fact turn it on with the power cables plugged in the wrong position then unfortunately some components could have blown up as a consequence, which may explain the clock problems.

Reply 5 of 6, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, I did turn it on ... I know that it's not like ATX psus for example where there is still a little bit of current going through the motherboard even when the board isn't turned on. However a clock generator shouldn't be the most complicated thing to replace ... but only if it's worth it since the board itself doesn't seem to be working well as you have seen.