VOGONS

First post, by Braca862

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I bought the Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold ISA card a month ago. My computer is a Dell XPS T500 with 1Ghz processor and 512MB of RAM. Under Windows 95, the AWE64 performs flawlessly, with excellent sound. But on Windows 98, it is a different story. On several Apogee games like Monster Bash and Duke Nukem 2, the music plays, but the there is no sound. Whenever I select sound blaster in the game settings, they tell me that a sound blaster card is not detected. I did not have this problem under windows 95. I know that this card was originally written for Windows 3.1 and 95, is there something with this card that makes it incompatible with Windows 98?

Reply 1 of 14, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No. The AWE64 works well with Win98, although I don't believe it has WDM drivers available (so you have to use VXD, nbd).

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 4 of 14, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not in Windows 98, you don't. In pure DOS, yes.

The TSR you would have to load is called AWEUTIL, and it's just an initialization utility. Windows 98 initializes the card on its own so you don't need it in this particular case.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 5 of 14, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AWEUTIL is specifically required for redirecting MIDI to the EMU8k and adjusting reverb and chorus. Initialization for OPL, PCM, and MPU401 is handled in DOS via CTCM and DIAGNOSE, just like any other Sound Blaster 16 PnP card.

Does audio out work with Windows applications? Does PCM audio out work with other DOS programs under Windows? Do you see an entry in Device Manager for "Creative AWE64 16-bit Audio (SB16 compatible)"? Any indications of errors or problems? If you go under resources, what is the card allocated for I/O, IRQ, and DMA?

Reply 6 of 14, by Braca862

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

All the other software and games that uses midi are working fine, especially Doom and Duke Nukem 3D. Its those Apogee games that have no sound, but the music still plays. As I said before, I did not have this issue under Windows 95. There is no errors pertaining to the sound card in the device manager.

Reply 11 of 14, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Braca862 wrote:

Where can I find that information?

The SET BLASTER= line in your C:\autoexec.bat file

Braca862 wrote:

I bought the Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold ISA card a month ago. My computer is a Dell XPS T500 with 1Ghz processor and 512MB of RAM. Under Windows 95, the AWE64 performs flawlessly, with excellent sound. But on Windows 98, it is a different story.

Was this on the same 1GHz computer that it worked in Windows 95?
Or was Windows 95 on an older, slower computer?

Reply 14 of 14, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Double click on the entry in device manager, then go to the resources tab. If you disable auto assignment, you can customize the resources used. Either one of the two configs I mentioned are very standard for SB16 based cards.