VOGONS

First post, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Really tempted to buy the full version since it seems you can just dial up any cpu speed you want on the fly.

The full version does work with command line parameters, right?

Reply 2 of 8, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr_st wrote:

SlowDown by Bret Johnson is typically a much better solution.
http://bretjohnson.us/

What tends to be better about it? I've found moslo's slowdown percentages to be more accurate - eg slowing slowdown by 25% doesn't work out to be half of 50%.

Reply 3 of 8, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't remember exactly, because it's been a long time since I actually used Moslo and ditched it in favor of Slowdown. What I seem to remember is that Slowdown worked better for me for some games that flipped out if trying Moslo, it was more reliable in disabling it, and has many more options. I think that Moslo Deluxe closes (at least partially) that gap, but the basic version lacks these features.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 4 of 8, by 21603

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

And SlowDown is free so why not give it a try before you take the plunge into MoSlo.

I was also looking into MoSlow Deluxe mainly for the old Dynamix games like Willy Beamish. That game likes to run in fast forward and eventually lock up so it needs something to throttle it back. I'll give SlowDown a try first though before I spend anything.

Reply 5 of 8, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Has anyone ever figured out what frame rate speed-sensitive games were meant to run at? It always seemed strange to me that just bogging a system down with MoSlo or hindering it's performance by disabling cache was sufficient to fix speed problems. I would have thought that the actual clock speed of a system would have been the culprit but I (obviously) don't know much about how this works.

Since it seems to be directly related to frame rate, I think it'd be interesting if someone could figure out what the games were meant to run at.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 6 of 8, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
21603 wrote:

And SlowDown is free so why not give it a try before you take the plunge into MoSlo.

I was also looking into MoSlow Deluxe mainly for the old Dynamix games like Willy Beamish. That game likes to run in fast forward and eventually lock up so it needs something to throttle it back. I'll give SlowDown a try first though before I spend anything.

If you own the ultima collection on cd, they bundled moslo deluxe with it.

Reply 7 of 8, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I could not get slowdown working on my P2. Either it would refuse to do anything- no increments did anything- or it would hyper slowdown it to 286 levels. Quite odd, since it's a 440BX system (Dell OEM system, with a P2 233).

Reply 8 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ozzuneoj wrote:

Has anyone ever figured out what frame rate speed-sensitive games were meant to run at?

There has almost always been a wide range of different PC speeds on the market at any one time. The developers of any speed-sensitive game probably anticipated that the game would run slower on slower machines, and slightly faster on faster machines; they clearly did not anticipate that it would be unplayable on extremely fast machines.

So, really, the best you can do is look at the recommended system requirements on the game box, and hope that whoever wrote that text actually consulted with the developers first.