VOGONS

building a network of old gaming pcs

Topic actions

First post, by jnjg25

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi new to the site so glad i found it.

So i got about 20 old computers ranging from pentium 2s 300mhz, and pentium 3s i even got an old Tandy from the 80s. but i would like 4 dos/win gaming machines to network together for old multiplayer gaming(doom, corridor 7, redneck rampage duke 3d twisted metal 1 and 2 pc ect. i also ordered a bundle of 5 3dfx cards (ASUS V7100PRO 32MB (3dfx V5-6000 SDRAM)to use for quake turok 2/diablo 2 ect.. I might add more vintage gaming comps to get a sweet 8 player game going. but 4, for now is more than enough, i def should have the spare parts.

My problem is, what OS should i use for windows, and what type of network would work the best and most stable.. in the past i wasnt able to play Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate multiplayer on more than 2 pentiums 4s UNLESS i ran the serial mode protocol every other protocol would either freeze or crash. (IPX, tcp/ip)
(my plan was to link them all together with serial cables (rs 232) i have alot of them. But i have never been able to do that with more than 2 computers, i was told you could daisy chain all of the computers(3 serial ports per pc) but have not tried yet because i dont have enough serial ports for all of the computers, some have 2 on the motherboard but they are all pentiums 3s the pentium 2s only have 1, i have 1 double serial pci card, i would buy more if this was the option to use.

i heard 486s would be better support for the dos games but, after looking some up online, 4 machines would be quite expensive, hopefully ill get lucky and find some for free or cheap but until then...

got tons of ram sticks psu's , tons of other agp and pci vcards. couple sound blaster live cards, but im going to try and get atleast 1 sound blaster pro..
So i got most of what i need i think..

thank you for reading, i would very much appreciate any help or advise

Reply 1 of 62, by jnjg25

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i will post better mobo specs soon, pictures aswell if that helps to, anything really just let me know. i would give somebody the tandy especially a collector for some help. the only one i can find online that resembles it is goin for like 250$US http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Tandy-TRS80-Model-IV-C … fQAAOSwHMJYITG8 which is working, mine is not atm but im sure wouldnt be to hard to clean up, still in complete condition

Reply 2 of 62, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is your bundle this?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ASUS-V7100PRO-32MB-3df … nEAAOSwNRdX3s3s

Asus V7100 is not 3Dfx, V5-6000 or any other, it's just a Geforce 2 MX400 card. In this one above, the seller is saying that "these cards have very fast SRAMs and you can harvest the SRAMs for your 3DFX cards", he is not saying these are 3dfx cards.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 3 of 62, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would use Win98se for operating system.

Identify your Hardware and search Drivers for Dos/Win98 for network, sound, graphics and motherboard chipset.

I would use a twisted pair network with an 8 port switch.

Reply 4 of 62, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wrong forum. Ask in Marvin. This forum is for Windows games on modern systems.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 5 of 62, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jnjg25 wrote:

i was told you could daisy chain all of the computers(3 serial ports per pc) but have not tried yet because i dont have enough serial ports for all of the computers, some have 2 on the motherboard but they are all pentiums 3s the pentium 2s only have 1, i have 1 double serial pci card, i would buy more if this was the option to use.

Where exactly were you told this? This seems extremely unlikely. I am quite sure that the only way you can get multiplayer in standard DOOM is with network cards.

As Warhammer 40K Chaos Gate is a Win9x game, you will need machines capable of running Win9x if that is what you want to play.

Reply 6 of 62, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:
jnjg25 wrote:

i was told you could daisy chain all of the computers(3 serial ports per pc) but have not tried yet because i dont have enough serial ports for all of the computers, some have 2 on the motherboard but they are all pentiums 3s the pentium 2s only have 1, i have 1 double serial pci card, i would buy more if this was the option to use.

Where exactly were you told this? This seems extremely unlikely. I am quite sure that the only way you can get multiplayer in standard DOOM is with network cards.

As Warhammer 40K Chaos Gate is a Win9x game, you will need machines capable of running Win9x if that is what you want to play.

Standard Doom had that ability. I know, because I did this. But Doom II removed null modem cable support and was IPX only. But I really don't think daisy chaining would work.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 7 of 62, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hehe, a 5 pack of v5 6000s would probably be worth $5,000-$10,000 USD depending on how fanatical the 3dfx collectors were feeling that day.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 8 of 62, by Panties

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tayyare wrote:
Jorpho wrote:
jnjg25 wrote:

Standard Doom had that ability. I know, because I did this. But Doom II removed null modem cable support and was IPX only. But I really don't think daisy chaining would work.

Yes, I think daisy chain wont work either, because when I was a kid in secondary school(age 14), they have computer lab, about 12 computer of 486/Pentium1. I "quietly" copy "Doom" all over those 12 PC.. using 3 floppy disks... (good old days) . I had 3 Serial cables. =) I thought I could show off my friends, that Daisy chain works.... but sadly, after hours of attempts , I only succeed to have Doom connect 1 to 1 (2 players MAX). With 3 Serial cables in hand, I was able to pair up to 6 Computers (2 players on 2 Computers, 1 Serial Cable to link them).
During that time, my knowledge in computer are still primitive. Thus, there was no Network card or Hub either! Only Dos and Win3.11 Workgroup.

Anyway, In my opinion, if you really want to play Doom up to 4 players MAX, network card is the way to go...
In addition, if your friend bring a modern PC/laptop.. say.. Windows 10, and they want to play Doom... than Dosbox is the way to go..
Use this version:- http://home.arcor.de/h-a-l-9000/index.html

The Megabuild 6 (if im not mistaken) , you can play Doom between Real DOS and DOSBOX machines on the same network .... 😀

Good luck & have Fun!

Reply 9 of 62, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Back in the late 90s (like, 1999) I seemed to accumulate a lot of 486 and 586 hardware donated to me by friends and friends' parents that knew I was "into computers". I'm also not sure how, but 3Com 3C509 ISA cards seemed to grow like mold. So what do I do? Why network up my own LAN party room for ROTT and Doom, of course!

I remember this being really fun to set up, so I think you're in for a treat.

If you want to stick to DOS, such as for ROTT and/or Doom, then you will want to use IPX/SPX networking. These days finding ODI drivers for common ISA (and even some older PCI) network cards is not too difficult. Thanks Novell! You'll also want to stick to 16-bit ODI drivers and avoid the 32-bit ones... I always found them much harder to start and obviously designed to use with the Novell DOS client. You simply cannot go wrong with a 3Com 3C509 ISA card, or SMC something, or on the PCI side, Intel Pro 100, or 3Com 905 (A or B, not C).

However your systems are probably a bit newer than to just stick with DOS... so for P2/P3 systems I would do Windows 98 with, you guessed it, IPX/SPX networking. Windows 95/98 is kind enough to pass the IPX/SPX stack through to DOS games run within Windows (in addition to Windows apps/games, of course). You definitely have to worry less about what specific network card(s) you use, as long as there are Windows 98 drivers for it you should be good.

I seem to recall that almost every network capable game up until about the early 2000s supports IPX networking, and I remember it being super easy to get going.

Reply 10 of 62, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tayyare wrote:

Is your bundle this?

Asus V7100 is not 3Dfx, V5-6000 or any other, it's just a Geforce 2 MX400 card. In this one above, the seller is saying that "these cards have very fast SRAMs and you can harvest the SRAMs for your 3DFX cards", he is not saying these are 3dfx cards.

You can buy the rams by themselves for a considerably cheaper price, and a whole lot less hassle.

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0& … xt=lp12l64322eb

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 11 of 62, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Panties wrote:

In addition, if your friend bring a modern PC/laptop.. say.. Windows 10, and they want to play Doom... than Dosbox is the way to go..

The Megabuild 6 (if im not mistaken) , you can play Doom between Real DOS and DOSBOX machines on the same network .... 😀

Megabuild 6 is ancient. It would be much better to use one of the more recent SVN Daum ports, which also include the NE2000 patch (though the most recent ones are kind of broken). But in the case of DOOM it would be an even better idea to use one of the many, many Windows ports of DOOM (like ZDOOM or Chocolate Doom) instead of using DOSBox.

Reply 12 of 62, by Panties

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
Panties wrote:

Megabuild 6 is ancient. It would be much better to use one of the more recent SVN Daum ports, which also include the NE2000 patch (though the most recent ones are kind of broken). But in the case of DOOM it would be an even better idea to use one of the many, many Windows ports of DOOM (like ZDOOM or Chocolate Doom) instead of using DOSBox.

Oh.. I wasn't aware of this new DAUM ports.
is this his website :- http://ykhwong.x-y.net/ ?

If yes... than I never try to use his dosbox Daum port....... but i will find time to test it.. 😀

Reply 13 of 62, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RJDog wrote:

You simply cannot go wrong with a 3Com 3C509 ISA card, or SMC something, or on the PCI side, Intel Pro 100, or 3Com 905 (A or B, not C).

What's with the C versions of these cards?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 14 of 62, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

Nothing wrong with the hardware, of course, its just a driver availability issue. 3C905A and 3C905B hardware revision use the same drivers; very easy to come by drivers for OS earlier than Windows 98SE (i.e. DOS, WFW, W95). The 3C905C hardware revision uses different drivers that are not compatible with the A and B hardware revisions; I have not successfully found drivers for it for OS older than Windows 98SE. There is a Novell ODI driver for the 3C905C I found in Bart's Network Boot Disk, but it is a 32-bit Novell client driver, and not super friendly in non-Novell DOS.

Reply 15 of 62, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RJDog wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

Nothing wrong with the hardware, of course, its just a driver availability issue. 3C905A and 3C905B hardware revision use the same drivers; very easy to come by drivers for OS earlier than Windows 98SE (i.e. DOS, WFW, W95). The 3C905C hardware revision uses different drivers that are not compatible with the A and B hardware revisions; I have not successfully found drivers for it for OS older than Windows 98SE. There is a Novell ODI driver for the 3C905C I found in Bart's Network Boot Disk, but it is a 32-bit Novell client driver, and not super friendly in non-Novell DOS.

Thanks for your explanation 😀.

I suppose for 98SE and ME, this doesn't matter as much?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 16 of 62, by jnjg25

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
tayyare wrote:

Is your bundle this?

Oh! well i am an idiot.. i jumped the gun on that one they allready arrived! :\ i will have to put them to use in the future..

sorry for the late reply but trying to store these pcs is not fun i got about 20 left salvaged some stuff and got rid of some.. id like to get down to 4 of each generation pentium 4 down to pentium 1 plus 4 486s. and 1 386 but thats another story 🤣.

none of the pentium 2s have agp slots only pci and isa is this going to be a problem?

and lastly which kind of 3dfx cards would you recommend price shouldn't be a concern unless its over 100$ a card. or some other glide supporting video cards. i found a couple matrox video cards in the batch and 3d rage cards.

Reply 17 of 62, by jnjg25

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
jnjg25 wrote:

I honostly forget it was a vintage gaming pc forum i will try and hunt it down.

Reply 18 of 62, by jnjg25

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
RJDog wrote:
Back in the late 90s (like, 1999) I seemed to accumulate a lot of 486 and 586 hardware donated to me by friends and friends' par […]
Show full quote

Back in the late 90s (like, 1999) I seemed to accumulate a lot of 486 and 586 hardware donated to me by friends and friends' parents that knew I was "into computers". I'm also not sure how, but 3Com 3C509 ISA cards seemed to grow like mold. So what do I do? Why network up my own LAN party room for ROTT and Doom, of course!

I remember this being really fun to set up, so I think you're in for a treat.

If you want to stick to DOS, such as for ROTT and/or Doom, then you will want to use IPX/SPX networking. These days finding ODI drivers for common ISA (and even some older PCI) network cards is not too difficult. Thanks Novell! You'll also want to stick to 16-bit ODI drivers and avoid the 32-bit ones... I always found them much harder to start and obviously designed to use with the Novell DOS client. You simply cannot go wrong with a 3Com 3C509 ISA card, or SMC something, or on the PCI side, Intel Pro 100, or 3Com 905 (A or B, not C).

However your systems are probably a bit newer than to just stick with DOS... so for P2/P3 systems I would do Windows 98 with, you guessed it, IPX/SPX networking. Windows 95/98 is kind enough to pass the IPX/SPX stack through to DOS games run within Windows (in addition to Windows apps/games, of course). You definitely have to worry less about what specific network card(s) you use, as long as there are Windows 98 drivers for it you should be good.

I seem to recall that almost every network capable game up until about the early 2000s supports IPX networking, and I remember it being super easy to get going.

Thanks for the response, i figured that ipx/spx would be suggested i have done this on windows xp so im sure i will figure it out.. although i havnt used windows 98 since i was a kid..
the pentium 2s motherboards are all in two peices, i think its called a riser card it has 3 isa slots and 3 pci (all same motherboard) not sure what its called all there is are serial numbers and a diagram.
i took a few pics of the p2s, will check p3 motherboards as soon as i get time to check them out there are some different and some same.

http://postimg.org/image/4bz2fr5lv http://postimg.org/image/iuko0d8xp http://postimg.org/image/fgqf72m71 http://postimg.org/image/xfqeyjwfx

Reply 19 of 62, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jnjg25 wrote:

the pentium 2s motherboards are all in two peices, i think its called a riser card it has 3 isa slots and 3 pci (all same motherboard) not sure what its called all there is are serial numbers and a diagram.

Correct; riser cards were very common in desktop (horizontal) style cases to reduce the height of the case. These must be IBM NetVista machines? I think typically they came with network cards from factory...