VOGONS

First post, by Arkzyw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello.

First specs:
Cpu: AMD Am386-dx40
Gpu: HMC(Hualon Microelectronics Corporation) HM86304 256K(512 max) (photo)
Ram: 4x1MB simm 30-pin
Mainboard: Cannot identify it(no marks, model, or anything on it)
HDD:1.2GB
FDD

From the start. I got an old 386 PC, which was in pretty bad condition. After lots of cleaning, and reseating parts (video card, and ram, which didn't want to work at first) it ran without errors. I installed dos 6.22, and win 3.11 on it.
Now I'm looking for graphic card drivers, since I can't find any working well. I have tried Win 3.11 built-in drivers, HM86314 drivers, Scitech Display Doctor(which recognises the card, but says it's unsupported), and some Trident drivers(someone, somewhere said they should work). The best I can get is 800x600 16colors from that HM drivers(photo). Anything I have with 256 colors makes windows hang. Maybe someone has drivers for it ?

I have also some other issues:
-Windows 3.11 hangs randomly - sometimes even when just browsing files
-After turning on, on first screen at the top there are 2 words one below the other - SVGA, and 256K which are yellow, and red. Sometimes at start they are just white, and after booting dos there strange "dots" under letters and message "No VGA? ....." from CTMOUSE (photos)
-I tried running Space Quest 1 thinking it should run, but it shows just black screen, and hangs. Last timed it showed error in win, and EMM386 error after that(photos). Is there actually something wrong with this pc ?

I made some photos of these issues - http://imgur.com/a/RhzQy
Do you know what possibly can cause there issues, and/or how to fix them ?

Sorry if some of this looks noobish/chaotic, but it's actually my first contact with such an old PC, and dos 6.22/win 3.11 systems(first os I used was W98, and I was a little kid back then). I hoped I could play some old classics on it(like SQ, and other sierra games).
Any tips, and advice are greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 6, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If the card has 256 kB and is VGA what drivers are you looking for?
For VESA modes like 640x480 at 256 colors you need at least 512 kB.
Same applies if you want to use this mode in Win 3.x

So it is only necessary if you expand the memory on the card to 512 kB.

As for the crashes, check the hdd condition (scandisk with surface scan as first option) and run a memtest86.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 2 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

General speaking, 640x400@256 is possible with 256KiB, though. I had this setting running on Windows 2.03 with a different card. 😀
An old game, named the Hohlenwelt Saga also used this SVGA mode. That mode even was available in VBE 1.2.
If only more games used that one instead of that comparatively ugly 320x200 mode.
Anyway, I would try to get some more RAM for this card since ISA VGA cards are getting scarce..

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 6, by Arkzyw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the answers.
I didn't realize 512K is required for 640x480 with 256 colors. I Would gladly add some RAM to this card, but...well...I'm not really sure what kind of RAM. Could you please give some example of what chip would work with it ? I can't find anything useful.
Also...could you tell me(or give some pointers) how to set that 640x400(or lower) resolution with 256 colors ? I don't see that mode available.
As for HDD and RAM - tested them thoroughly and everything looks fine.

Managed to run Space Quest...somehow it works on clean boot(F5), but hangs on normal boot. Looks like I will need to do lots of research, and lots of learning, as I don't even have slightest idea why is that, and I feel it won't be the only game with such issues....
Oh, and thanks for pointing me to a good looking game I didn't know

Reply 4 of 6, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It will be most probably 2 pieces of 44256 DIP20 RAM (60, 70 or 80ns). If you share a picture, we can be sure.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MITSUBISHI-M5M44256BP … =item566b7416dc

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 6 of 6, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My guess on the colored words issue is that it sometimes starts up in monochrome as monitor detection is flaky on old cards since the introduction of DDC capable monitors and reusing the old pins for a new standard. The ctmouse error indicates also some mode change of the graphics chip. In this case it seems that the charset load of MODE corrupts your chars.
However you can just try how it looks on a clean boot.

Maybe some system info program like NSSI reports how the card configures if there is no color visible on BIOS bootup.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool