VOGONS

First post, by jarreboum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's a bit of a weird problem I have here, I couldn't find a relevant thread. Apologies if it was already solved somewhere else.

I'm almost done with my K6 build, which is:
- motherboard Soyo SY-5SSM with
-- onboard AGP SiS530
-- onboard PCI ESS SOLO-1 with PC/PCI
- Monster 3D II Voodoo2
- K6-III+ 450
- 256MB RAM
- CF cards as HDD

I've installed Windows98 on one CF, with all the relevant drivers from the original CDs. I then installed Tomb Raider and added the voodoo rush exe. Everything works fine under Windows 98. I can reboot in DOS mode and it plays fine too.

I've installed MSDOS 6.22 on another CF. I'm using the Toshiba CDROM driver, and copied ESSOLO.COM,INI,SYS from my Windows installation as for some reason there is no way to install the sound driver from DOS directly. I then installed Tomb Raider from the CD as usual, and copied glide2x.ovl and tombrush.exe from my Win98 install. I can start the game, it shows the various cutscenes, the 3Dfx splash screen, and the menu is nicely rendered at 640x480 in smooth bilinear filtering. But when I try to start a game, the intro cutscene plays, and then the computer hangs when it's supposed to start the level. Software mode runs fine.

I have no idea what's going on. I haven't tried installing MS-DOS 7 yet, but I suspect it's something Windows related, a file I'm missing or something.
What do you think?

Reply 1 of 4, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe there are some Glide-Envoriment-variables set in Windows.

What happens when you boot directly into Dos7 without going through Windows98?

Can you plug 2 monitors to the PC , one on the V2 and one on the normal Graphics-Card, to see the error Massage when the game crashes.

Maybe your CPU is just to fast for the Game in real Dos?

Last edited by Sammy on 2016-11-18, 17:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 4, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jarreboum wrote:

I can reboot in DOS mode and it plays fine too.

There is evidently something different in the configuration of your Windows installation – possibly in your config.sys and autoexec.bat. Or there might be additional files you need for your sound card.

The most efficiently way to make sure would be to back up your CF card, and then use "sys c:" from a Windows 98 boot disk. This will effectively make the card boot with "MS-DOS 7.10" and let you replicate the same environment used in MS-DOS mode.

Reply 4 of 4, by jarreboum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried booting in DOS mode directly, via BootGUI=0, and the game runs fine.

Jorpho wrote:
jarreboum wrote:

I can reboot in DOS mode and it plays fine too.

There is evidently something different in the configuration of your Windows installation – possibly in your config.sys and autoexec.bat. Or there might be additional files you need for your sound card.

The most efficiently way to make sure would be to back up your CF card, and then use "sys c:" from a Windows 98 boot disk. This will effectively make the card boot with "MS-DOS 7.10" and let you replicate the same environment used in MS-DOS mode.

You mean doing sys c: from a windows 98 boot disk on a formatted CF? Or on one of the current MSDOS or Win98?

I removed the audio driver from autoexec.bat and configured the game not to have sound. Still hangs.