VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,
simple question, for listening music and general usage (not gaming/3d stuff), which was the best PCI sound card ever released? Both in output quality and/or power?
And before the Live/Audigy was released, there were any even better audio cards before in both pci and isa?
Thank

Reply 1 of 15, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are we talking mass-marketed consumer-oriented cards, or professional/mastering audio cards? I have and have used quite a few of the latter and they can be equally impressive and expensive.

On the consumer side, I have heard from anecdotal stories that in the PCI realm the Creative Audigy 2 and later are fairly impressive in quality and low noise. Not sure about ISA cards, other than Creative/Sound Blaster are commonly viewed as very noisy and not great overall quality.

Reply 2 of 15, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You're never going to find any articles or reviews that will give you an example of the "BEST" card for what you're looking for. Another thing that you're going to have to inform the board about is how you intend to use it. Yes, you said for music listening, which is more critical than anything else.

Since the era you are calling for would usually output over analog, I would simply suggest a pro-audio card, like my M-Audio Delta 410 or any card from the Delta series for that matter. They are usually very inexpensive due to their age, but I can tell you that in my case, I went from an X-Fi Extreme Music to my Delta 410, and there is no comparison as the Delta 410 is far superior for music listening.

Reply 3 of 15, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Logistics wrote:

I would simply suggest a pro-audio card, like my M-Audio Delta 410 or any card from the Delta series for that matter.

Yeah! This is the exact card I had in my Windows XP box for 5+ years. I thought it was great. I still have it and the breakout box wrapped up on a shelf somewhere.. might have to take it out again one of these days.

Reply 4 of 15, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Logistics wrote:

You're never going to find any articles or reviews that will give you an example of the "BEST" card for what you're looking for. Another thing that you're going to have to inform the board about is how you intend to use it. Yes, you said for music listening, which is more critical than anything else.

Since the era you are calling for would usually output over analog, I would simply suggest a pro-audio card, like my M-Audio Delta 410 or any card from the Delta series for that matter. They are usually very inexpensive due to their age, but I can tell you that in my case, I went from an X-Fi Extreme Music to my Delta 410, and there is no comparison as the Delta 410 is far superior for music listening.

If I would not know it's that good, looking at the card it would looks like a cheap low end one, incredible! 😁
Actually I've the Xonar D1 (CM8788,Cirrus Logic CS4398 codec) but I was thinking to go to higher end one (not professional/recording, more istening with heaphones).

Reply 5 of 15, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Check the following link and decide which card you like.

PCAVTech Sound Card Technical Benchmarks Test Ratings Comparison

Win 11 - Intel i7-1360p - 32 GB - Intel Iris Xe - Sound BlasterX G5

Reply 9 of 15, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

Pro audio cards are really cool:

They looks great, but are they ok for just listening music with headphones or amplified 2.0 systems? Or they need external processing like those in the first image?

In the second image, that card seems to have a programmable FPGA processor!

Reply 10 of 15, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
386SX wrote:

They looks great, but are they ok for just listening music with headphones or amplified 2.0 systems? Or they need external processing like those in the first image?

You can use digital I/O directly from the back of the card, but analog requires either a module or pigtail externally. There's just not enough room on the bracket for all those channels.

386SX wrote:

Part of what makes the RME such a beast.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 11 of 15, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:
You can use digital I/O directly from the back of the card, but analog requires either a module or pigtail externally. There's j […]
Show full quote
386SX wrote:

You can use digital I/O directly from the back of the card, but analog requires either a module or pigtail externally. There's just not enough room on the bracket for all those channels.

386SX wrote:

Part of what makes the RME such a beast.

Did you try it? 😀 (man they are expensive! 😁)

Reply 12 of 15, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
386SX wrote:

Not a very powerful one though. It has 5000 logic cells and about 64kB RAM, just about enough to implement something equivalent to a Z80. 😀

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 13 of 15, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
386SX wrote:
Hi, simple question, for listening music and general usage (not gaming/3d stuff), which was the best PCI sound card ever release […]
Show full quote

Hi,
simple question, for listening music and general usage (not gaming/3d stuff), which was the best PCI sound card ever released? Both in output quality and/or power?
And before the Live/Audigy was released, there were any even better audio cards before in both pci and isa?
Thank

The Audigy 2 ZS should satisfy all around and they aren't rare. The thing here is each use has its specialized cards. The best cards for music were not usable for gaming at all, and the best gaming cards were barely adequate for critical listening (especially before the Audigy 2). Lynx L22 would be my pick if you're really disregarding gaming support; professional output only, I'd want an external headphone amp at that point. Of course you could just get an external DAC for an Audigy series card to begin with.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 14 of 15, by orcish75

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Onkyo make high end soundcards using Creative and VIA chipsets.

http://ixbtlabs.com/news.html?03/98/23

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/blogs/rjm/1156 … iew-part-i.html

Reply 15 of 15, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
orcish75 wrote:

Those Onkyo cards has some BIG capacitors there... 😁

Reading the reviews...