VOGONS

First post, by hiroshima

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,

This is Mauro from Italy. I joined this great Community some time in 2014 but this is my first thread/post ever.

I'm a big PC vintage fanatic!

Right now I put together a system as follow (picture in my signature):

Asus VLI-486SV2GX4 with 16Mb RAM and 256K L2 cache
AMD AM486DX4-120 in WT
Diamond Stealth64 VRAM S3-964 VLB 4Mb
Tekram DC-880 BIOS v1.0 and Firmware v1.10 both dated 1993 w/ 16Mb cache RAM
Seagate Barracuda 4LP ST32171W 2.1Gb
Plextor PX-40TSi
Iomega ZIP 100 SCSI
Roland MPU-401AT w/ Roland MT-32 old / Roland CM-32L / Roland SC55mkII / Korg NX5r (Yamaha DB51XG inside)
Creative Sound Blaster AWE32 CT2760 rev. 3 w/ 32Mb RAM
Gravis Ultrasound MAX rev. 1.8 w/ 1Mb

Well, that's all I think.

Here is the problem, SCSI related:

Hard drive is controlled by Tekram BIOS Int 13h and, even if it's capacity is fully recognized by the controller (CHS parameters 2006c 64h 32c * 512 bytes), with FDISK from MS-DOS 6.22 I am able to create no more than 1 partition of 1024 Mb in size (0 - 1023 cylinders) with no more space to create extended one; my goal is to make 1 primary partition of 2 Gb in size.

Now, I am pretty sure that FDISK is able to create partitions of 2 Gb with FAT16 file system.

What's wrong in this?

I think the problem is in Tekram BIOS/FW although the controller can perform some kind of translations; I can choose a MAX DOS disk capacity between:

1G = 64 heads and 32 sectors, maximum 1GB
1.5G = 64 heads and 48 sectors, maximum 1.5GB
2G = 128 heads and 32 sectors, maximum 2GB
3G = 128 heads and 48 sectors, maximum 3GB
4.5G = 192 heads and 48 sectors, maximum 4.5GB

Even if I set a 2G limit disk capacity 1003c 128h 32s * 512 bytes, the result will be the same as FDISK will make 1 primary partition of 1024 Mb from 0c to 1023c.

I also managed to find a BIOS/FW upgrade package v1.17 for the controller but I don't have an EPROM programmer to try it.

Here is a link to the user manual of a Tekram DC-880B, different in hardware layout from mine, but with the same software features:

http://ftp.dyu.edu.tw/file/5396_dc880b.pdf

Mauro

P.S. Sorry for my poor english...

My system

Reply 1 of 18, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
hiroshima wrote:

I also managed to find a BIOS/FW upgrade package v1.17 for the controller but I don't have an EPROM programmer to try it.

Hi, if you have a socket 7 or slot 1 (or even socket 370 or socket A) motherboard, couldn't the hotswap trick work in order to program a new eprom ? All you need is a motherboard that uses the same kind of rom chip (even if it has more pins than your controller card) and normally you should be able to flash it using a software called Uniflash.
I fixed my bricked my pentium 3 using a slot 1 motherboard and I also flashed a boot rom for my 3com network card and it works flawlessly !

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 18, by hiroshima

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Deksor wrote:
hiroshima wrote:

Hi, if you have a socket 7 or slot 1 (or even socket 370 or socket A) motherboard, couldn't the hotswap trick work in order to program a new eprom ? All you need is a motherboard that uses the same kind of rom chip (even if it has more pins than your controller card) and normally you should be able to flash it using a software called Uniflash.
I fixed my bricked my pentium 3 using a slot 1 motherboard and I also flashed a boot rom for my 3com network card and it works flawlessly !

Hi,

The hotswap method is too risky than hardware eeprom programmer like a Genius G540.

Moreover, I am not absolutely certain that by updating the BIOS / FW I'll be able to solve the problem because I'm not 100% sure the problem regarding the size partition resides in current BIOS / FW limits.

Tekram user manual isn't too clear to me and online documentations are sometimes cloudy.

This is why I'm asking some advice 🤣 😁

M.

My system

Reply 3 of 18, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote:
hiroshima wrote:

EPROM isn't the same thing as flash EEPROM. The old stuff was only erasable by UV light and was programmed differently. The one time I had to have one of these chips burned, I got the help of a nice fellow Vogon here.

I really don't know about this SCSI stuff. It's meant to have fewer compatibility issues with big drives than IDE, so there's probably something going wrong.

Edit: Found something in the manual. DOS 5 Support Enable/Disable: "It is required to enable this option in order to work with drive capacity
over 1GB under DOS environment."

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 4 of 18, by hiroshima

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
firage wrote:
EPROM isn't the same thing as flash EEPROM. The old stuff was only erasable by UV light and was programmed differently. The one […]
Show full quote
Deksor wrote:
hiroshima wrote:

EPROM isn't the same thing as flash EEPROM. The old stuff was only erasable by UV light and was programmed differently. The one time I had to have one of these chips burned, I got the help of a nice fellow Vogon here.

I really don't know about this SCSI stuff. It's meant to have fewer compatibility issues with big drives than IDE, so there's probably something going wrong.

Edit: Found something in the manual. DOS 5 Support Enable/Disable: "It is required to enable this option in order to work with drive capacity
over 1GB under DOS environment."

Hi,

This option is already enabled as I had to change controller BIOS address.

M.

My system

Reply 5 of 18, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I never had any issue with the hotswap technique. (But I understand that you don't want to take the risk). I also know that you can't flash UV-roms with a motherboard. However doesn't the UV rom have the same pinout as flash eeprom ? I won't take the risk myself to erase the original rom if something goes wrong with that, however I would try to flash another rom chip (harvested from a dead mobo or bought on ebay) and put it in the motherboard

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 7 of 18, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well the hard drive geometry should change when you select the max DOS drive size.

I think based on the geometry the whole disk is accessible when you select 2GB mode, because it should have 1003 cyls, 128 heads and 32 sectors. Not so when you use the default, 2006*64*32, because through BIOS you can only use 1024*64*32 which is exactly 1GB.

If you use the 3GB or 4.5GB options, you'll start to lose addressing of the last sectors and there is few megabytes less that can be accessed.

Are you sure you have:
-first deleted all partitions so the drive is empty (except there is the MBR, but it should be empty)
-reboot and change the MAX DOS setting to something
-use "FDISK /MBR" just to be sure you write a fresh MBR
-finally run FDISK normally to see if you can now create with new parameters

Reply 8 of 18, by hiroshima

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jepael wrote:
Well the hard drive geometry should change when you select the max DOS drive size. […]
Show full quote

Well the hard drive geometry should change when you select the max DOS drive size.

I think based on the geometry the whole disk is accessible when you select 2GB mode, because it should have 1003 cyls, 128 heads and 32 sectors. Not so when you use the default, 2006*64*32, because through BIOS you can only use 1024*64*32 which is exactly 1GB.

If you use the 3GB or 4.5GB options, you'll start to lose addressing of the last sectors and there is few megabytes less that can be accessed.

Are you sure you have:
-first deleted all partitions so the drive is empty (except there is the MBR, but it should be empty)
-reboot and change the MAX DOS setting to something
-use "FDISK /MBR" just to be sure you write a fresh MBR
-finally run FDISK normally to see if you can now create with new parameters

Hi,

Already tried it with no luck except I have used LOW LEVEL FORMAT utility inside controller firmware.

TBH I already tried every single possibility... I really don't know what I can do.

M.

My system

Reply 9 of 18, by hiroshima

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just for the record, I even tried to boot up the machine with a custom boot floppy containing tekram ASPI drivers (aspibmv.sys and diskdrv.sys) and, using TFDISK (FDISK utility from Tekram) I can actually make 1 primary partition of 2Gb in size. This with the HDD controlled by BIOS Int 13h and NOT device drivers.
BUT, after formatting the partition, the MS-DOS 6.22 install process through MS own setup, after a while stops giving WRITING ERRORS.
I've tried the same procedure but this time with the HDD controlled by the device drivers* (aspibmv.sys and diskdrv.sys); I've successfully partitioned the HDD with TFDISK creating a 2GB primary partition and then formatted it. I created a custom floppy containing install files from 1st MS-DOS 6.22 floppy and tekram ASPI drivers but when I launch the install with the modded 1st floppy, setup process will stop reclaiming special drivers for the HDD (or something like this....)

* From the user manual:

BIOS INT 13H device: HD/HDRM/No. HD (default) option is for fixed disk drives controlled by BIOS INT 13H and will be ignored if […]
Show full quote

BIOS INT 13H device: HD/HDRM/No. HD (default) option is for fixed
disk drives controlled by BIOS INT 13H and will be ignored if no device is
installed. HDRM option is for fixed disk and removable disk drives controlled
by BIOS INT 13H. The No option is for drives controlled by the DC-
880B’s device driver instead of INT 13H. Note that removable disk drives
with the HDRM option selected can only function as fixed disks and are not
allowed to change media. Also, if you set the option as HD for a removable
media device, it can only be recognized by adding a device driver instead of
being controlled through BIOS INT 13H.

Again, sorry for my bad english, I hope you can understand what I'm trying to explain 😁

M.

My system

Reply 10 of 18, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would not usually do the low level format, unless the sector size needs to be changed (it's 512 byte sectors, right? Are there any settings for the low level format?).

But for using the TFDISK to partition the hard drive, did you specify "TEKRAM" translation method, because the default settings use wrong translation for empty drive and default also will use whatever was on MBR if there was partitions defined so it would still select wrong settings.

OK, so few more ideas:
-SCSI card port 330h (though this is not required when DOS 5 support is enabled, and your MIDI may be at 330h already...)
-SCSI drive ID is #0 (though this is not required when DOS 5 support is enabled)
-SCSI controller ID is #7 (should be)
-cacheable device off so that format is not converted to read verify
-device type is set to HD, not HDRM or anything else
-erase all partitions again with FDISK and reboot
-verify DOS 5 support is enabled
-verify MAX DOS setting is 2GB

Then boot with a floppy, without any SCSI/ASPI driver, and use DOS MSD command or some other tool to verify the BIOS parameters for the drive, so that the next time you start FDISK and DOS format you know if you are partitioning with correct translation.

Well, it could also be that something is buggy and leaves you with translations that give only 1GB drive. Should be plenty for a DX4/120.

Reply 11 of 18, by hiroshima

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jepael wrote:
I would not usually do the low level format, unless the sector size needs to be changed (it's 512 byte sectors, right? Are there […]
Show full quote

I would not usually do the low level format, unless the sector size needs to be changed (it's 512 byte sectors, right? Are there any settings for the low level format?). I can confirm this, 512byte/sectors

But for using the TFDISK to partition the hard drive, did you specify "TEKRAM" translation method, because the default settings use wrong translation for empty drive and default also will use whatever was on MBR if there was partitions defined so it would still select wrong settings. Used Tekram method of course

OK, so few more ideas:
-SCSI card port 330h (though this is not required when DOS 5 support is enabled, and your MIDI may be at 330h already...) Controller has a I/O port addr @ 130h. 330h is already used by MPU-401AT
-SCSI drive ID is #0 (though this is not required when DOS 5 support is enabled) Check
-SCSI controller ID is #7 (should be) Check
-cacheable device off so that format is not converted to read verify Already tried, no go
-device type is set to HD, not HDRM or anything else Check
-erase all partitions again with FDISK and reboot Check
-verify DOS 5 support is enabled Check
-verify MAX DOS setting is 2GB Check

Then boot with a floppy, without any SCSI/ASPI driver, and use DOS MSD command or some other tool to verify the BIOS parameters for the drive, so that the next time you start FDISK and DOS format you know if you are partitioning with correct translation.
Everything I try, both FDISK and MSD report a geometry of 1023c 64h 32c * 512

Well, it could also be that something is buggy and leaves you with translations that give only 1GB drive. Should be plenty for a DX4/120.

My guess is that HDD geometry translation (MAX DOS disk capacity in controller BIOS settings...) is only valid when the HDD is controlled by device drivers (aspibmv.sys and diskdrv.sys, BIOS Int 13h setting to NO) and using TFDISK with Tekram method to create a 2gb primary partition. If this is true, HDD is unusable as a MS-DOS installation, neither with floppy disks, nor using xcopy command to restore my backup. In fact both installation method fails requesting special drivers or reporting WRITING ERRORS.

So what remains is:

1. Give up. 1Gb space is enough for a MS-DOS machine;
2. BIOS/Firmware upgrade, hoping that updated one supports large HDD/LBA;
3. Going full IDE with a cache controller which supports large HDD/LBA such as Tekram DC-680C/CD
4. Using a DDO which eats at least 10kb of conventional memory. With my pc config, I managed to obtain 623kb of conventional memory using EMM386 for EMS.

My system

Reply 13 of 18, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well I thought the 2G modes etc are available directly from INT13H interface without any drivers.

As what the manual says, it seems you need to load the ASPI drivers before you can partition it with TFDISK while setting correct geometry translation, using "special" mode, not auto, not Mylex, not Adaptec. After partitioning with TFDISK, reboot is necessary before the new translation is automatically detected, so if you did not reboot then old parameres were used and that's why install failed. After reboot, you can verify with MSD if parameters are correct. If yes, then normal format using DOS format should be possible.

The weird parameters you are seeing are what is relevant for IDE drives in BIOS, and they are obviously bogus because type is 0 means not installed.

Reply 14 of 18, by hiroshima

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jepael wrote:

Well I thought the 2G modes etc are available directly from INT13H interface without any drivers.

As what the manual says, it seems you need to load the ASPI drivers before you can partition it with TFDISK while setting correct geometry translation, using "special" mode, not auto, not Mylex, not Adaptec. After partitioning with TFDISK, reboot is necessary before the new translation is automatically detected, so if you did not reboot then old parameres were used and that's why install failed. After reboot, you can verify with MSD if parameters are correct. If yes, then normal format using DOS format should be possible.

The weird parameters you are seeing are what is relevant for IDE drives in BIOS, and they are obviously bogus because type is 0 means not installed.

Hi Jepael,

I refer to these weird parameters:

CMOS Fixed Disk Parameters
247883 Cylinders, 30 Heads, 60 Sectors/Tracks

The parameters reported by MSD that refer to the C: drive

Fixed Disk, CMOS Type 0
1023 Cylinders, 64 Heads, 512 Bytes/Sectors, 32 Sectors/Tracks

are actually in use for the partition created with FDISK.

My system

Reply 15 of 18, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know if it is a viable option for you but, what about an Adaptec SCSI card?

The ones that I'm using in my 386 systems (AHA-1540CP and AHA-1520B) are not that fancy (no caching, no VL-bus, just plain ISA SCSI) but work like a charm. I especially suggest 1540 over 1520 since it recognizes everything without a driver (1520 requires ASPI drivers to be installed).

To say the truth, I have bad experiences with the both Tekram SCSI cards I ever used in the past (DC-390F if I remember correctly).

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 16 of 18, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't have much to contribute to your problem, other than disk cache controllers can be a pain to work with! I've tested some of the IDE VLB controllers and they are just as fincky to get working correctly in a 486.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 17 of 18, by hiroshima

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
vetz wrote:

Don't have much to contribute to your problem, other than disk cache controllers can be a pain to work with! I've tested some of the IDE VLB controllers and they are just as fincky to get working correctly in a 486.

Hi,

I don't have much trouble with the controller.

The only one is that it just doesn't support partitions and/or HDDs greater then 1GB.

I also tried the DDO way but it recognizes the hard drive with a capacity of just 1GB, so the limit of 1023 cyl is still there.

I can create a 2GB partition only when the hard drive is handled via controller's driver; in this case I can't boot from it because the motherboard doesn't support SCSI boot in BIOS sequence.

Last chance is the BIOS/firmware upgrade.

If there is someone capable of flashing some EPROM, would be great.

Mauro

My system

Reply 18 of 18, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hiroshima wrote:
I don't have much trouble with the controller. […]
Show full quote
vetz wrote:

I don't have much trouble with the controller.

The only one is that it just doesn't support partitions and/or HDDs greater then 1GB.

I also tried the DDO way but it recognizes the hard drive with a capacity of just 1GB, so the limit of 1023 cyl is still there.

I can create a 2GB partition only when the hard drive is handled via controller's driver; in this case I can't boot from it because the motherboard doesn't support SCSI boot in BIOS sequence.

The motherboard doesn't need to support SCSI boot in its BIOS to be able to boot from a SCSI drive. However, it's possible you can only use SCSI drives and no IDE drives if you want to boot from SCSI, and your SCSI card needs to have its own BIOS chip enabled (if you have a card without BIOS you won't be able to boot from SCSI, ever). You'll possibly need to disable the IDE channels. Of course, the SCSI card's hard disk size limitations will also apply. If your card has its own BIOS, be sure to check whether there's a function to enable large disk support...

Motherboards that support SCSI boot usually have either on-board SCSI connectors, or need special SCSI controllers that only work together with specific motherboards that have a special on-board SCSI BIOS.

The aforementioned Adaptec SCSI controllers have an 8Gb limit, by the way.