VOGONS

First post, by Ultris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I have a proprietary Socket 7 motherboard from an Acer Aspire tower circa 1996. It's my only Pentium-era motherboard and I would like to use it for older games. But the Acer Aspire case is both incredibly ugly and fragile. In this regard, I'd like to transfer the motherboard to a much needed beige-box case. The only problem is, like I said, it's proprietary. Instead of having only a few I/O ports with a vast abundance of ISA/PCI slots, there are many onboard ports, which stretch all the way down the motherboard.

I don't want to modify the motherboard like crazy, I want to keep it intact. I am willing to do some rewiring and soldering as long as it's reversible. Is this possible?

This may sound blasphemous to purists or collectors, but it's my only AT Socket 7 motherboard. I'm sure there are some people who won't bash me for this. 😀

Reply 1 of 5, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why not trying to install headers just like the ones that are used for serial and parallel brackets ?

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 5, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hard to say without seeing the motherboard and case, but I would think its easier to mod the case then the motherboard.
Its far from blasphemous though, been some quite nicely done AT mods here in the past. Smaller bits of hardware store nicely vs large heavy cases.

Reply 3 of 5, by Ultris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Deksor wrote:

Why not trying to install headers just like the ones that are used for serial and parallel brackets ?

This seems like the best option. So essentially I would use a bunch of brackets for PS/2, Serial, VGA and Audio. I have dead motherboards that I can desolder certain ports from, and I have a lot of spare video cards and various brackets that I could mount the ports to. It uses a daughter card for ISA/PCI so any video/sound cards that I use will have to be adapted as well.

Reply 4 of 5, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just make a case that fits or modify a case. I wouldn't do that to the motherboard, way to much hassle.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 5 of 5, by beastlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd imagine when they made those old computer cases, they used to punch those port shapes out with a 10-ton punch press or some such device.

Here's a couple options:

1. For a guaranteed perfect fit, you could cut out a rectangular sheet from the original chassis which contains all the ports, and make your own I/O shield out of this piece. I like an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel for this job. It requires a little finishing, but it won't bend the steel like snips will.

2. You could have your own i/o shield made with laser-cut steel - if i'm doing my math right, online at this store http://lasergist.com/ you could do something at 12"x3" at a 1mm thick for like $13. That's thicker than I'd probably want, but maybe there's other shops out there that will do the same thing with 20+ga cold-rolled steel for cheap.

With either of these options, you'd have to mod ur new case. Personally, I'd rather keep the motherboard in tact instead of going through the effort of de-soldering and resoldering leads to all the individual ports, and then still having to work out how you're going to rig each of those ports. But there's definitely pros and cons to each way. Angle grinders are messy. Modding can be tricky.

Could you post pics of the mb and/or the old case?

Good luck!