VOGONS

First post, by beastlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've got WAY too many PCI/ISA/AGP cards kicking around. The thought of them scraping against each other keeps me up at night!

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas for a card organizer to keep my spare cards under control?

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 9, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

just put foam or cardboard between them when you stack them.

or if you want to go super organization mode , buy a bunch of dead motherboard and chop just the expansion slot section off the board and stick them all upright in the slots

maybe buy backpane boards or riser board to stick them in?

Reply 2 of 9, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How many cards? 😁

And there were actually already a couple threads about this subject, hold on.

Ok, here you go 😀
How do you store your computer parts?
How do you organise / sort / store all your retro gear?
Lets all share tips of how we organize our collection of retro computer stuff :)

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 9, by beastlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just threw this thing together for the meantime 🤣

it ain't pretty but it works for now. I love the chopped up motherboard suggestion 🤣 - I have a few dead ones kicking around I could probably do that with.

3711c05683.png

Reply 4 of 9, by beastlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:
How many cards? :D […]
Show full quote

How many cards? 😁

And there were actually already a couple threads about this subject, hold on.

Ok, here you go 😀
How do you store your computer parts?
How do you organise / sort / store all your retro gear?
Lets all share tips of how we organize our collection of retro computer stuff :)

Awesome - thank you!

Reply 5 of 9, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've posted about my system in other threads, but here's another photo of it. I use regular plastic bins and clear plastic video game boxes. These cost about $1 apiece. I find that the Atari 2600 game box size works for most ISA & PCI sound cards, and the Intellivision game box size works for slightly larger cards such as your SB Pro CT1600 and AWE64. I use a pink antistatic bag, which makes visually identifying the card a little easier than it would be through a smoke-color antistatic bag. Additionally, I put a little sticker on the box spine that lists the make/model. For longer cards (PAS, Soundscape, etc.), I use the hard plastic cases that you see at one end of the bin.

I have one bin for sound cards and one for video cards. I probably need one more bin though.

I've used this system for a couple of years now and am quite happy with it.

P1120638.JPG
Last edited by boxpressed on 2016-12-04, 03:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 9, by beastlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
boxpressed wrote:
I've posted about my system in other threads, but here's another photo of it. I use regular plastic bins and clear plastic video […]
Show full quote

I've posted about my system in other threads, but here's another photo of it. I use regular plastic bins and clear plastic video game boxes. These cost about $1 apiece. I find that the Atari 2600 game box size works for most ISA & PCI cards sound cards, and the Intellivision game box size works for slightly larger cards such as your SB Pro CT1600 and AWE64. I use a pink antistatic bag, which makes visually identifying the card a little easier than it would be through a smoke-color antistatic bag. Additionally, I put a little sticker on the box spine that lists the make/model. For longer cards (PAS, Soundscape, etc.), I use the hard plastic cases that you see at one end of the bin.

I have one bin for sound cards and one for video cards. I probably need one more bin though.

I've used this system for a couple of years now and am quite happy with it.

P1120638.JPG

That works very well. I like that they're contained but you can see what each one is. Very nice.

Reply 7 of 9, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
beastlike wrote:
Just threw this thing together for the meantime lol […]
Show full quote

Just threw this thing together for the meantime 🤣

it ain't pretty but it works for now. I love the chopped up motherboard suggestion 🤣 - I have a few dead ones kicking around I could probably do that with.

3711c05683.png

I've at one time made something similar for my harddrives, but imo your implementation looks quite a bit more advanced compared to what I had done 🤣

I can really recommend you read the threads I linked you. My favorite cheapy way is to use tons of those kiwi boxes as these can be stacked over a meter high easily and they are the right size for motherboards.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 8 of 9, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
boxpressed wrote:

I've posted about my system in other threads, but here's another photo of it. I use regular plastic bins and clear plastic video game boxes. These cost about $1 apiece.

Looks awesome. Where do you get the boxes from?

Reply 9 of 9, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elod wrote:

[Looks awesome. Where do you get the boxes from?

I've used two sources, and I've had a good experience with both. Depending on sales, one may be cheaper than another at any given time.

http://retroprotection.com/
http://www.videogameboxprotectors.com/