VOGONS

First post, by Thraka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The CPU says K6 3+ 450APZ 1.7v core / 3.3v i/o

but my Super Socket 7 ALi V board lists 2.0v as the lowest I can set with the jumpers. Is that OK? The manual for the motherboard only talks about K6-2 and not the 3, so I assume it came out before the 3. Just in case you're wondering, it's a Matsonic MS6260S and the manual is here.

But I'm not even sure if it will work with the K6-2+ or 3+ since it doesn't list the + models...

Reply 1 of 12, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is a SS7 website with a bunch of patched bioses for different motherboards. On my phone otherwise id pull up the bookmark for ya. 2.0v should be safe, just be sure to have a good HSF, think Socket 370 Celeron size.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 3 of 12, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Might be worth investigating if the same board was shipped under a different name. Hsing Tech rebrands everything!

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 4 of 12, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks like your motherboard was also sold as the PC CHIPS m579. Hopefully that helps track down a newer/patched bios.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 5 of 12, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Thraka wrote:

Would it be this one? http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm

Can't find mine on there 🙁

I had that guy patch two BIOSes for me about 5 years ago and they are still not listed on that website.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 6 of 12, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So maybe ask him OP?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 7 of 12, by Thraka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ODwilly wrote:

Looks like your motherboard was also sold as the PC CHIPS m579. Hopefully that helps track down a newer/patched bios.

That helped in trying to find more information. But still not finding something definitive. I found possibly updated bios (mentioned K6-3 but not 3+) but no updated manual to tell me what jumpers go (assume same as K6-2 though)

Did bios' need to be updated for the "+" line?

Reply 8 of 12, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Thraka wrote:

The CPU says K6 3+ 450APZ 1.7v core / 3.3v i/o

but my Super Socket 7 ALi V board lists 2.0v as the lowest I can set with the jumpers. Is that OK? The manual for the motherboard only talks about K6-2 and not the 3, so I assume it came out before the 3. Just in case you're wondering, it's a Matsonic MS6260S and the manual is here.

But I'm not even sure if it will work with the K6-2+ or 3+ since it doesn't list the + models...

I had a look at your CPU voltage options, but I don't think it has any undocumented jumper settings since 4 jumpers make it have 16 options and all 16 are already in the manual 😢

Iirc K6-2+/K6-3+ had a maximum voltage limit that was around 2v, but going above that might not be a good idea.

And yes, get a nice HSF (doesn't have to be a copper Barton HSF, a beefier Celeron one will do)

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 12, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

2V is fine, I run my K6-3+ at 2V to push it to 600mhz

Reply 10 of 12, by Thraka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks everyone. With some of that extra mobo information I think I got perhaps the last bios made for it. Had a note in it about knowing about K6-3 so we'll see how it goes. 😀

Reply 11 of 12, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've bought an IBM aptiva that originaly came with a pentium mmx 233, but when I looked at thr cpu, it was a k6-2 500. But the person that put it there was unqualified because he didn't touch any jumpers, and so the poor k6-2 500 ran with a 0.6v overvolt and was underclocked to 233MHz 🤣

I won't recommend a 0.6v overvolt, but I *think* that you won't have problems with a 0.3v overvolt. These cpus are guaranteed to handle +-0.1v, but the real tollerance range must be greater than that for 99% of the cpus

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 12 of 12, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well the 3+ came in 1.6-2V chips from what I've seen so the core will handle it without an issue. As for your IBM ouch for the user 🤣