VOGONS

First post, by beastlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just got a motherboard from an HP Vectra - it has this P11 connector for the power supply. I figured it was a P8/P9 AT PSU connector when I got it (my P8/P9 connectors pictured next to it), but upon closer examination, I think it's different.

0c55d27bd1.png

Is there an adapter to go from the P8/P9 connectors to this thing?

Thank you!

Reply 1 of 13, by beastlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Found some info on this - https://allpinouts.org/pinouts/connectors/pow … -supply-13-pin/

"Non-standard ATX MB power connector with additional 6-pin Molex for 3.3V

Single-in-line Molex-like 13-hole connector with one hole empty. Looking on the metal latches side of the connector, wires UP, “1st” pin is on the LEFT. PSU’S Additional 6 pin Molex 3.3V connector pinout is BLACK WIRES=GND, BROWN WIRES=+3.3V
1a323a946b.png
"

Reply 2 of 13, by beastlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

so close!
not sure if anyone has any experience with these HP Vectra motherboards.

Got a HP Vectra power supply on eBay, and the 13 pin connector fits perfectly, now there's this additional connector that has 3.3v wires.. but it's a different size than pins on my motherboard...
1d4091475b.png

Wondering what would happen if I powered this thing without the 3v molex plugged in?

Reply 3 of 13, by lowlytech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

http://pinouts.ru/Power/hp_vectravl5_power_pinout.shtml

That link shows the 6 pin 3.3volt connections. Is the CPU running 3.3volts? Unfortunately when dealing with proprietary connections it isn't easy. I feel your pain. Here is something that might work but unsure of the pitch, etc.

www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connect ... mJnE4Pw%3d

Reply 4 of 13, by beastlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you for the reply and the connector link!

Processor is A80486SX-33 which I believe is 5v?

Not exactly sure why the board needs the connector, but will wait on turning it on until I know for sure. Don't want to do anything to damage the board 🤣

296d71c48a.png

Reply 5 of 13, by lowlytech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Your right, cpu-world shows that CPU to be 5volts. Not sure if the 3.3v is just for future low power cpus or what. I honestly am not sure what would use 3.3volts in a 486 system other than memory or cpu and I figure most items of the day would have a regulator to accept 5v. I have a gut feeling it would power on without the 3.3, but I also have let the magic smoke out more than once.

Reply 6 of 13, by beastlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

haha yeah that's what I was worried about. I've done that a time or two myself 🤣

Based on the pinouts.ru site, I was originally thinking that the power supply I bought was for a newer version of this motherboard. It has the 13 pin connector which connects perfectly, and I figured the side connector is the same voltage and number of pins but different connector size.

However, i'm looking at this video of a Vectra with the same exact processor, and those 6 pins actually go to a ribbon cable attached to the front panel.
https://youtu.be/4Y8XdZqrRw4?t=877
51182988c5.png

That's the exact position of the 6 pin connector on mine (you can see a couple of those components between the two have been moved from one revision of this motherboard to the next (not sure what those yellow things are):
514bd16c3c.png

Maybe that 6 pin "PS2" molex is just not used on my motherboard - maybe it was for a very similar motherboard that just had a 3.3v CPU 3.3v and 3.45v 486 Motherboards

That would answer the question as to where to connect the power/reset cables connectors - i'll have to experiment with those to see what's what, unless there's a manual out there that lists out that pinout.

Reply 7 of 13, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just turn it on, that small header is likely for the front panel connections. A 486 board usually doesn't use 3.3v, the power supply is likely from a newer machine that does.

Reply 8 of 13, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
beastlike wrote:

(you can see a couple of those components between the two have been moved from one revision of this motherboard to the next (not sure what those yellow things are)

The yellow surface mount components are small value capacitors, presumably in parallel. They might have swapped one larger cap for two smaller ones (the sum of their capacitance being about the same as what they replaced) for a wider filter band. Alternately, they might have done the opposite if the design tolerated it to save an extra component, some assembly, and therefore cost.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 9 of 13, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NJRoadfan wrote:

Just turn it on, that small header is likely for the front panel connections. A 486 board usually doesn't use 3.3v, the power supply is likely from a newer machine that does.

Not only that, the 3.3v supply is almost always on the board. My EXP-4045 has a 3.3v VRM for DX4 CPUs

Reply 10 of 13, by beastlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:
beastlike wrote:

(you can see a couple of those components between the two have been moved from one revision of this motherboard to the next (not sure what those yellow things are)

The yellow surface mount components are small value capacitors, presumably in parallel. They might have swapped one larger cap for two smaller ones (the sum of their capacitance being about the same as what they replaced) for a wider filter band. Alternately, they might have done the opposite if the design tolerated it to save an extra component, some assembly, and therefore cost.

Interesting, thank you!

Reply 11 of 13, by beastlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
NJRoadfan wrote:

Awesome. I don't actually have the case to this one, so I was gonna just rig something for now. I'm assuming 2 pins are power, 2 are reset, and 2 are either HD light or power light.

Reply 12 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This might not apply to you, but iirc there was a DEC Alpha motherboard which featured a similar extra power plug and PCI slots. Iirc the 3.3v power plug on this particular board (DEC Alpha AXPPCI 33) was used specifically for its PCI slots. I never managed to power on this board though, but perhaps the 3.3v power plug on your board isn't necessary for what you intend your board to be used for.

Just my €0.02

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 13 of 13, by beastlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

This might not apply to you, but iirc there was a DEC Alpha motherboard which featured a similar extra power plug and PCI slots. Iirc the 3.3v power plug on this particular board (DEC Alpha AXPPCI 33) was used specifically for its PCI slots. I never managed to power on this board though, but perhaps the 3.3v power plug on your board isn't necessary for what you intend your board to be used for.

Just my €0.02

Interesting.. There's an ISA riser board, I'll have to check if that's got anything like that. Thank you!