VOGONS

First post, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

OK so I have the fallowing system.

166mhz Pentium none mmx 1mb l2 15ns @200mhz (max cpu speed the system can use is 200mhz)
64mb ram 60ns
1.2gb hdd
Onboard Cirrus Logic GD5440, has 2mb vram but software shows only 1mb. using stock 95 drivers.
External cd drive via printer parallel port.
Win95b

I'm trying to get Dark forces 2 to play at higher rez like 800x600 with good frame rates (30fps+)
Overclocking the cpu from 166mhz to 200mhz gave me a big boost, 320x240 is now 100% playable, 60fps for the most part, 640x480 is now playable at around 20-30fps.

Would a 200mhz mmx Pentium or k6-ii help? Or will the system be held back by the video card? Would different drivers for the GPU help?
I don't work with systems with 2d cards all that often so that why I asked. My guess is that a faster cpu will help, but 800x600 and higher resolutions will likely never work well with the video card with just about any game.

Your thoughts?

Reply 1 of 4, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Its being held back by the gpu. Usually the higher res you go the more vram you want and 2mb is just not very good compare to even an entry level voodoo. Cpu will only take you so far.

Reply 2 of 4, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

With the GD5440 I assume you are playing in software mode. Dark Forces II apparently supports Direct3D:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/star-wa … ces-ii/techinfo

I'm betting a decent PCI 3D card will help a lot. Even something like a TNT or TNT2 M64. They will be a little better in 2D / DOS too.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3 of 4, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It is held back by both. If you run Dark Foreces II with a decent 3d accelerator you might get 800x600 playable (don't bet on it however), but for software rendering above 640x480 you need higher end Pentium II class CPUs. I still have the original disks I bought in 97 or 98 and a local PC gaming magazine was testing it up to 1280x1024. with normal pentium class CPUs you can forget higher resolutions generally. My suggestion is to get a voodoo 1 and run it at 640x480 with 3d acceleration. You can try for a voodoo 2 and hope to get 800x600, but the CPU is probably still to weak for that.

Dark forces II was a rather demanding game at that time.

Reply 4 of 4, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Id thought it was abit of both.
I'd have to lose my awe64 if I put a voodoo1 in the system. Then if I want sound I'd have to lose good dos sound support and my Nic.

I'm willing to lose the nic, but not the dos sound card support. I'll still be able to have sound, but I'll have to use a low profile card. Not the best options there.