VOGONS

First post, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello everyone !

This question might seem dumb, because the answer seems to be "it's impossible", but apparently it's not.

I heared that retrobright wasn't really working. Sure it works for de-yellowing stuff, but apparently after a while the yellow comes back and you can't do that too munch because the plastic fragilizes each time you do it, so I thought about painting the plastic instead. The problem is that paint covers everything, including labels, which isn't what I want. But apparently it's not always the case as seen here with game boys : http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/161/paintin … -covering-text/

Sure the colors shown aren't wanted, but this is showing that it seems possible to keep labels while painting stuff, but I can't find any other informations about this ...

Have you an idea ?

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 1 of 8, by kikenovic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If it is like "American Restoration", then the decals and the artwork will have to be redone. What I've done is put masking tape over decals, sure, not pretty but still better than cover them forever. With emblems, you may be able to (patiently) mold the masking tape over them.

Reply 3 of 8, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well I've got this case to re paint : download/file.php?id=29110&mode=view

Only the door is yellowed, however I'm pretty sure that there will be a color difference between the painted part and the original plastic, so I will have to paint everything.

I tried to paint a case once and while it didn't end terribly, it wasn't really nice. The plastic was nice (even though I sprayed a little too munch paint somewhere on it), but the metal part was getting scratched easily, like if paint wasn't really stuck to it but only white dust ...

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 4 of 8, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You have to sand and prime metal before painting it. You might want to watch A LOT of painting tutorials before your try it again. I do autobody work and you essentially have a lot of prep to do before you actually spray the color onto the case even with quickie paintjobs

Reply 5 of 8, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I searched for a few tutorials but I didn't manage to find one ... At least for PCs, and I'm not sure if tutorials made for something else would work as great on a PC (since the painting on the other case is half failed fail, I might just sand it like you told me and re-re-paint it ^^)

Reply 6 of 8, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the tutorials would be for painting metal and plastic , although is you've never done either before I wouldn't do it to somthing you actually like. It took me years to get the proper skills to paint things perfectly.

Reply 7 of 8, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well I won't start with the big case I showed earlier for sure, like I said, I will just try again to paint the case I failed on. While it's not an awful case (maybe a tad cheap), it doesn't have anything special so I don't really care, I've got few other spare AT cases anyways, so I can just not use it if it goes really really wrong

Reply 8 of 8, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The final quality of any coating (durability, etc.) will depend very heavily on how much well prepared/cleaned the surface you wanted to paint. Mechanical (sand blasting, etc..) and/or chemical (degreasing solutions, etc.) is a must for a good result.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000