VOGONS

Proper Cleaning

Topic actions

First post, by Neco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I see people using contact cleaner an stuff, but how safe is that really?

Ideally I'd like something I can just spray on the electronics and use a light brush or something. I mean I've seen uxwbill on youtube run shit through a dishwasher and clean with a kitchen brush (emphasis on proper drying time) but I don't wanna end up doing that if I don't have to.. unless there is something I could spray on there to evaporate all the water quickly 😕

How do you guys keep your stuff clean? Are there any special caveats? i.e best way to clean up and re-lube a joystick, or get a ball mouse properly clean

Reply 1 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Brasso tends to be recommended when people need to clean video game cartridges, or sometimes a rubber eraser, but those things get a lot dirtier than PC components typically do.

Neco wrote:

i.e best way to clean up and re-lube a joystick

Is that a thing people do?

or get a ball mouse properly clean

I would prefer not to use them at all. I think they get dirty no matter what you do.

Reply 2 of 9, by Neco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I basically just wanna get things as new looking as possible and get any years of caked on dust, etc off them. I am dealing with all used items.

The joystick and mouse especially. I have no idea where those things have been or what they have seen 😒

Reply 3 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you're really enthusiastic about cleaning mechanical devices, then I suppose there's no substitute for taking things apart completely, but it's pretty risky. There's just no standard way for putting a lot of these things together, and I usually wind up snapping some tiny plastic tab or another whenever I try. Plus, there's always the possibility of losing some irreplaceable tiny screw.

Useful tools include a "case opener" tool (basically a slightly-curved flathead screwdriver) and maybe a nice guitar pick.

Reply 4 of 9, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Re-lubing a joystick, Is that what the kids are calling it these days lmao.

No seriously all joking aside what I do normally is I get an old toothbrush and 91% rubbing alcohol and give it a quick scrub, not to hard and use a light amount of alcohol. When you're done with that take some braso and put some on an old rag and scrub the gold contact of you're pci, isa and agp cards.

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 5 of 9, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For accessories that are really dirty (keyboards for example) the best I've seen in action to this day is taking it apart completely, and washing the plastic with laundry detergent and hot water. The result is squeaky clean. You can also use wet wipes, the ones that are used for surfaces, stuff meant for skin usually leave some creamy stuff behind.

For PCBs I've began using auto shampoo (composition varies, the one I use lacks salt and has some anticorrosive agents in it) with warm water. Final rinse with distilled water, and right now the mainboard is still on the heater under the window (about 50-60 C right now).

Reply 6 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I might add that I've seen this cleaning putty around, but I've never tried it myself. (No doubt ordering it from Hong Kong is cheaper than shelling out for the fancy brand name.)

Reply 7 of 9, by Neco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll probably go with washing stuff that's real bad (done that to keyboards before), and maybe a final dip in isopropyl before drying to help with water disposal.

Reply 8 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You have to be careful with isopropyl alcohol; sometimes labels are written in ink that isopropyl alcohol will wipe right off. It is a good idea to test with a small area first.

Reply 9 of 9, by Neco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

True. although I don't really intend to wipe, more like dip it in a bath and stick it in front of a fan for a day or two.