VOGONS

I blame Phil..

Topic actions

First post, by andrewreader

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all.

So after watching Phil's Computer Lab on YouTube, he gave me the bug of getting a retro machine off the ground.

My history was more with Commodore Amigas. But in recent time I've upgraded my A1200 with WiFi or Wireless Internet. 64MB RAM, 68020 processor, CF Hard Drive and Gotek Floppy drive. So let's move onto the next project.

Coincidently, my work were getting rid of some older harware. I took a couple of machines away.

1. An AMD X2 3500 'Esprimo' Fujitsu Siemens machine.
2. 2xCore2Duo with 2Ghz CPUs.

The Esprimo machine had 2 PCI slots off a riser card. I purchased what was listed a 'Vortex2' on ebay, but turned out to be a Vortex 1 and an S3 Virge PCI with 4 MB of RAM. I'm using a SATA CF adapter too.

I also purchased the Dreamblaster S1 for use with the Vortex card.

And then the fun began trying to get it all to work in DOS. Thanks to this forum, and after many hours. I got the DOS drivers which ran on 'ASP4Dos' as apposed to AU30 stuff. The sound card was recognised but didn't work due to a missing 'Vortex.ini'.

I ended up installing Windows 98SE and installing the drivers through that which gave me the .ini file and Dos drivers but a conflict on the SB emulation. I disabled every peripheral port in the BIOS including USB and got a PS/2 Mouse and Keyboard for the unit. Now the unit was working without a conflict.

All was working. MIDI and SFX in Windows but only MIDI was working in DOS. Screamer had both SFX and MIDI in a DOS Windows, but not in real mode.

I then focused on the Core2Duo machine, but this was designed for Vista and Windows 10 was installed and ran fine on it, so I left that there. 4GB RAM, 250 GB Hard drive and DVD Rewriter drive for free isn't so bad.

And then I rememered an old PC I build for my brother which my parents had, so I dug that out. Fingers crossed that it had an ISA slot and it was an AMD machine based on a Sempron Processor. No ISA slots.

That PC didn't boot. Fans worked and lights all worked, but nothing was displayed on the screen. I tried a PCI graphics card and still nothing. So that had to take a back seat.

I found a 'Pentium 3' bundle off Ebay which I purchased for £25. This had a 1.3Ghz Celeron CPU, 512 MB of RAM and an ISA slot. I purchased an ISA Aztech Sound Galaxy Nova 16 Extra II and moved the S1 over to that. I got a cheap ATX case from Amazon.

Thankfully it all worked. It runs of an IDE adapter and CF card. It has an IDE DVD Drive and all SFX and Midi sounds were working in Real Mode Dos. I installed Windows 3.1 for nostalgia and tested a few games. The headphones are far too loud, so I have to get the software mixer working and there's an 'old school' hiss when nothing is going on through the headphones. I've yet to test the 15 joypad that I've got too.

So now I have
1) Windows 98SE running on the Esprimo still with the S3 and Vortex 1
2) Windows 10 running on the Core2Duo using the motherboard ports
3) MSDOS 7.1 running on the Celeron with the Aztech and Dreamblaster S1.

I've unintentioally spend £190 from a couple of free machines.. 😢

And this was after my last two 'main' machines, an i5 4570k at 4.5Ghz and i3 4360 and a promise not to spend any more money on things I don't really need!

Anyway. Thank you Phil for the nostalgia and great videos. Thanks to the rest of you for the advice on these forums, the drivers and keeping the retro scene going.

Reply 2 of 20, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, he does that to people. You're not the first that comes here complaining about it. I'm afraid you will not be the last either.

I hope you at least feel better, knowing that you're not alone........ 🤣

Welcome!

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 3 of 20, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Me too.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 5 of 20, by deleted_Rc

User metadata

I saw Phil videos later when I already took up the hobby. Although youtube was the reason I picked up, friend of mine and I were drinking and started talking abut retro computers and looked it up on YouTube. ... after watching 4 or 5 we both agreed that pple building them were retarded for poor choice in parts (not combining proper parts and period correct parts, whilet claimin they did), a 600w psu from unknown brand for a Pentium 1? While using a p3 gpu and so on. We both said we could better and we did 🤣

Reply 7 of 20, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I blame Phil too... Though not entirely. I blame Phil for being a part of the bug. 😁

Naa....
I have had this feeling of wanting to go back to my roots of computing.
And as I had tróuble with getting something to work, I discovered this forum.
Hence I discovered Phil's channel. (and other people's channels)
He and others made me aware of more than I ever would have imagined excisted
in terms of hardware and brands and so on.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 8 of 20, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Phil makes a lot of valuable content.

I mainly blame VOGONS or at least Marvin as a whole. I was planning to put together a DOS / early Win9x machine for a long time before acquiring the first parts and joining this place in the beginning of 2013. With these people and digging through years of archived posts, there's always another cooler piece of old tech you have to go look for.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 9 of 20, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I blame Phil only for a few items I've bought.
The full responsibility for getting me into this hobby goes to LGR, specifically the Voodoo 1 video, which made me think "wow this whole retro dual video card thing is pretty cool, think I'll do a Voodoo build for myself!" 🤣

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 10 of 20, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And this is how it all began 🤣, reading all of Vogons from start to end before actually joining is pure madness!!
Err I mean it's pure determination! 🤣

Welcome aboard again Phil! 😁

But lets not forget all those other retro enthusiasts that were already here. Things have gotten busier the last few years as well (yes I also happen to be a stats nerd 🤣) and the knowledge buried here is fantastic! But Phil has helped sweeten the pot by a lot!

Is there btw actually a list of all Vogoners that have a youtube channel? I've been wanting to add a list of them to the Vogons wiki for a while now so I might as well ask here right away 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 11 of 20, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
And this is how it all began lol, reading all of Vogons from start to end before actually joining is pure madness!! Err I mean i […]
Show full quote

And this is how it all began 🤣, reading all of Vogons from start to end before actually joining is pure madness!!

But lets not forget all those other retro enthusiasts that were already here. Things have gotten busier the last few years as well (yes I also happen to be a stats nerd 🤣) and the knowledge buried here is fantastic! But Phil has helped sweeten the pot by a lot!

Is there btw actually a list of all Vogoners that have a youtube channel? I've been wanting to add a list of them to the Vogons wiki for a while now so I might as well ask here right away 😜

I've got one but I don't think it's OK to link it here. Possibly breaks the self advertising rule. Do you want me to PM it to you?

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 12 of 20, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
And this is how it all began lol, reading all of Vogons from start to end before actually joining is pure madness!! Err I mean i […]
Show full quote

I've got one but I don't think it's OK to link it here. Possibly breaks the self advertising rule. Do you want me to PM it to you?

That would be cool, but please specify which info is public enough for me to list on the Vogons wiki page about interesting Vogons threads (linked in my sig).

The issue I've had is that I'm not savvy with everything that's on Vogons so any help (like hints or actual threads that have a good reason to be included) will help 😀
The same goes for threads that are actually worthwile to include, but somehow I missed or forgot to include. It's most welcome 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 13 of 20, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I blame Phil too, since i'm brazilian its pretty hard to find good parts and most of the time its expensive.
He inspired me to build a 3-in-1 Pentium,486 and 386 MS-DOS retro gaming pc.
Later he inspired me to build a Pentium 4 High Performance Windows 98 Retro gaming PC that still needs one sound card with Aureal Vortex 2(it currently has SB Live, but for unknown reasons the dos compatibility isn't working)
And all the money that i spent on GOG buying old games.
I blame Phil, and i also thank Phil, because i discovered such nice hobby.

Reply 14 of 20, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:

Man, 2010? Wow time just flies past 😒

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 15 of 20, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Phill is one of the reasons why I hit the gas so to speak last year when it came to mid to late 2000s graphics cards and so glad that I did, mopped up some amazing deals on some cards that most people will probably never have. I look forward to XP being as popular as 98 for retro gaming and some day Win 7 due to the drm protection with older games that can brick win 10.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 16 of 20, by Frasco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I fooled ya ! 😈

======================================
People to be inducted into the Hall of fame
======================================

Retrogames100 - questioning Like Plato, he wants to know about everything.
5ue (System shock guy) - humble, just humble.
Elianda - oracle
Dosbox authors - I still play NBA Live on my main PC because of them. They're always ready to help.
Sorry to Great H...(The detective guy), man from China (CHIPS) and other stars !

So, yeah, You bastards ! Are you listen ? I'm coming to get you! 🤣 🤣

Reply 17 of 20, by andrewreader

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks all. I'm not alone.. 😎

Retro Gaming is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from modern gaming platforms.

Reply 18 of 20, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't blame Phil because I was into this thing almost 5 years before YouTube even started, 🤣. Back when I was trying to make internet videos run at crappy framerate on a 486 DX-33 with 8MB of RAM in 2001 because that's all I could afford and not because I necessarily wanted to - actually doing that was kind of what got me into the hobby, well, that and collecting classic video games, then finding out old PC hardware was super duper cheap at the time. I could pick up 3 expansion cards for the cost of one Atari game in those days, and they'd sometimes let vintage systems go for free or pay me to take them away because they were taking up space.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 19 of 20, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I speak for myself, but I think this can apply to everyone else in this thread, when I say "blame" what I really mean is "thank". He may not have been the first guy with the retro bug, but he's been very good at sharing his journey in ways that inspire others. Reading Phil's first post that Tetrium linked above was a breath of fresh air. Phil's passion for the topic was there from day one.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks