VOGONS

First post, by t3f4l

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi All

I've been lurking here for a while, reading lots of interesting posts and filling up with nostalgia for the games I grew up playing. This let me to buy an IBM Thinkpad T22 and start playing the old DOS Games and using Win98 again.
Now I kinda want to build a desktop so have rummaged through my storage and have found boxes of old parts which I could never bring myself to throw away.
I have an idea for a completely random build but honestly have no idea if it will work so could I get some input?

Heres the idea (I already have 80% of these parts, but am open to suggestions to changes etc)

Motherboard: AM2NF3-VSTA
Processor: Sempron 145
Ram: As much as I can get to work with W98, I believe there is a patch available that recognises 4gb???
Sound: SB Audigy
Graphics AGP: Radeon X1600 512mb
Graphics PCI: 2 off 3dfx Voodoo 2 12mb in SLI

For storage i'm proposing the use of CF-IDE Converters with a pair of 64GB Cards

So thats be barebones idea, networking cards etc can be added at a later date.

Thanks for the input in advance.

Reply 1 of 6, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
t3f4l wrote:
Hi All […]
Show full quote

Hi All

I've been lurking here for a while, reading lots of interesting posts and filling up with nostalgia for the games I grew up playing. This let me to buy an IBM Thinkpad T22 and start playing the old DOS Games and using Win98 again.
Now I kinda want to build a desktop so have rummaged through my storage and have found boxes of old parts which I could never bring myself to throw away.
I have an idea for a completely random build but honestly have no idea if it will work so could I get some input?

Heres the idea (I already have 80% of these parts, but am open to suggestions to changes etc)

Motherboard: AM2NF3-VSTA
Processor: Sempron 145
Ram: As much as I can get to work with W98, I believe there is a patch available that recognises 4gb???
Sound: SB Audigy
Graphics AGP: Radeon X1600 512mb
Graphics PCI: 2 off 3dfx Voodoo 2 12mb in SLI

For storage i'm proposing the use of CF-IDE Converters with a pair of 64GB Cards

So thats be barebones idea, networking cards etc can be added at a later date.

Thanks for the input in advance.

S145 is AM3 but board is AM2.
Phil's review deemed SB Audigy a bad performer.

Reply 2 of 6, by Living

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

AM3 works on AM2+ and that mother is AM2+...

Reply 3 of 6, by deleted_Rc

User metadata

512 mb ram is plenty for any w98 game, it's possible with the patch but I would advise against it (its no use on older games).
Soundcard:
For dos games I suggest a ISA soundcard, however your moBo has none (SB 16/32/64)
Other wise a SB Live! Is a great performer on PCI
Motherboard:
Your mobo has no official support for win 9x, keep this mind (still has floppy so that's np). The mobo is too new I suggest getting a pIII era computer ie. Slot 1/A socket 370/462 they support win98 and are cheap but require some care when handling them.

Reply 4 of 6, by t3f4l

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an SB Live so thats ok, the motherboard I also have, its got a Phenom in it at the moment (I think).
Nvidia Nforce 3 has windows 98 drivers so apart from the onboard sound etc which I plan to disable in the bios what wouldn't be supported under 98.
I understand the ram issue but as I have a box of ram seems a shame not to fit multiple sticks and install the patch?

Reply 6 of 6, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Living wrote:

AM3 works on AM2+ and that mother is AM2+...

I am just stupid 😵