VOGONS

First post, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was in some scrappers place and i stumbled with two interesting computers, a custom build with an Abit AI7 and another custom build with an Intel D865PERL, he sells for 5 € each PC and he can make offers if i get multiple PCs, but idk if it might be worth getting them, i know the AI7 on that PC is in good condition, but i'm not really sure about the Intel D865PERL since i didn't look it enough. i didn't take pics, but the Intel D865PERL looked like the one of the pic attached. Both are complete PCs with all parts

I'm considering getting them in the next days

Attachments

• 1250_p2_1.jpg
    Filename
    1250_p2_1.jpg
    File size
    382.34 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 1 of 28, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The AI7 is a known nice board. The black version of the D865PERL is also nice, unlike the cut-down green version. For starts, it has the proper set of jacks for 6-channel audio.

For 5€, I'd be willing to bite the bullet, and grab both PCs. Even if one or both boards are bad, it's not a big loss.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 2 of 28, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For €5 each I'd say it's a grab all you can carry 🤣

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 28, by kenrouholo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I dunno what it's worth to you. Maybe you could resell and make a little money, but not much. Also your signature here says you have quite a lot of Pentium 4s already. (I'm also personally biased against P4 as Netburst was a terrible architecture, but clearly you disagree in some way or you wouldn't have so many of them.)

Both boards should be pretty decent I think. Both 865 so they'd be fine for 98SE through XP or so.

Yes, I always ramble this much.

Reply 4 of 28, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote:

The AI7 is a known nice board. The black version of the D865PERL is also nice, unlike the cut-down green version. For starts, it has the proper set of jacks for 6-channel audio.

For 5€, I'd be willing to bite the bullet, and grab both PCs. Even if one or both boards are bad, it's not a big loss.

Yeah, i'm considering getting these, if one of both boards are dead, i still get lot of stuff there, the Abit AI7 PC has a Radeon HD 3450/3650 AGP and 2 SATA HDDs as i saw, the CPUs might be useful as well. Also i forgot to say i found an old Athlon 64 i'm considering as well because of the Epox mobo, high end DDR kit and the geforce 3

Reply 5 of 28, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kenrouholo wrote:

I dunno what it's worth to you. Maybe you could resell and make a little money, but not much. Also your signature here says you have quite a lot of Pentium 4s already. (I'm also personally biased against P4 as Netburst was a terrible architecture, but clearly you disagree in some way or you wouldn't have so many of them.)

Both boards should be pretty decent I think. Both 865 so they'd be fine for 98SE through XP or so.

Well, i actually like to collect CPUs in general, but the majority of them are P4 as my signarure says, i know Netbrust has it's shorcommings and it wasn't the best compared to AMD K7 or K8, the main reason is the boards since i don't have really much spares for 865PE mobos, i only have a Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000-G (in a build) and a Biostar P4TSE (spare) and i have the oportunity of getting more i865PE mobos which are known to be good, also i looked for an Athlon 64 build i'm going to pick as well

Reply 6 of 28, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Get some moving boxes and some ESD bags, you can get 15 - 20 motherboards into a single moving box. In a "walk in wardrobe" you can stack perhaps 1000 motherboards or so if you are good at Tetris.

Last edited by Skyscraper on 2017-03-07, 20:32. Edited 1 time in total.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 7 of 28, by kenrouholo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Carlos S. M. wrote:

Well, i actually like to collect CPUs in general, but the majority of them are P4 as my signarure says, i know Netbrust has it's shorcommings and it wasn't the best compared to AMD K7 or K8, the main reason is the boards since i don't have really much spares for 865PE mobos, i only have a Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000-G (in a build) and a Biostar P4TSE (spare) and i have the oportunity of getting more i865PE mobos which are known to be good, also i looked for an Athlon 64 build i'm going to pick as well

Well, for the price, then I'd say go for it. If you've collected so many P4 CPUs then might as well have a few decent boards to use them in. You don't have to defend why you collect them. My prior response was mainly pointing out how many of them you said you had, but I didn't realize you had so few motherboards for them.

I wasn't into P4s but I remember that the PERL was a pretty well-liked board at the time. I had some Abit boards but I don't know much about the AI7. I did Google it and it seems like another good one. I did like Abit in general, except on boards they had capacitor issues with (they had this issue with some boards and not with others).

Yes, I always ramble this much.

Reply 8 of 28, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Skyscraper wrote:

Get some moving boxes and some ESD bags, you can get 15 - 20 motherboards into a single moving box. In a "walk in wardrobe" you can stack perhaps 1000 motherboards or so if you are good at Tetris.

It may be more efficient to shoehorn spare components into the nicest computer cases and if one is to use a larger box for motherboards, I would recommend to put sheets of cardboard or perhaps that foam stuff between each motherboard to prevent accidental scratches (it's not a lot of effort and it will make moving the boxes around a lot less hazardous 😜). And I prefer to put in the motherboards sideways instead of on top of each other as this makes for less weight on the bottom boards (and thus also less flexing and less scratches and less broken stuff) and it will be easier to search through the boxes looking for any particular board (yes I know from experience 🤣).

Stacking 1000 motherboards like tetris will not work duu to the weight on the lower laying motherboards (yes I know you were being ironic 😁).

Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 28, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:

It may be more efficient to shoehorn spare components into the nicest computer cases and if one is to use a larger box for motherboards, I would recommend to put sheets of cardboard or perhaps that foam stuff between each motherboard to prevent accidental scratches (it's not a lot of effort and it will make moving the boxes around a lot less hazardous 😜). And I prefer to put in the motherboards sideways instead of on top of each other as this makes for less weight on the bottom boards (and thus also less flexing and less scratches and less broken stuff) and it will be easier to search through the boxes looking for any particular board (yes I know from experience 🤣).

Stacking 1000 motherboards like tetris will not work duu to the weight on the lower laying motherboards (yes I know you were being ironic 😁).

My boxes tend to look like this, they fit about 15 motherboards. 😀

Motherboards in a box.jpg
Filename
File size
508.21 KiB
Views
File license

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 10 of 28, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Skyscraper wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:

My boxes tend to look like this, they fit about 15 motherboards. 😀

Dang, I will have to wait for daylight tomorrow and I will show you mine 🤣 but it does pack a lot of boards in little bit of room.
But it really looks very similar to how I kept some of my boards back when I had very little packaging material but I do pack every board in an individual ES bag.

I'm pretty sure I got at least one box with 15 motherboards...

Report spammers here!

Reply 11 of 28, by Frasco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would never stack more than 2 motherboards.
I would never squeeze them. That would drive me crazy!
**skyscraper did a nice job there 😎

I would never ask about purchasing 3 computers in promo!
Sure I am biased cause I can't have a AGP like that for €10-15!

Even so, what you're asking es una barbaridad, Carlos!

Reply 12 of 28, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Update 9th March 2017

I acquired the Abit AI7 computer along with an Athlon 64 PC, going for the Intel D865PERL build tomorrow or another day. I already told the guy to keep it for me

Will send pics later

Reply 13 of 28, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

some pics of the PCs i got, the P4 with the Abit AI7 had the mobo fautly, it doesn't boot with anything installed on the AGP slot (stuck at error code 25 on the two digit screen), the Athlon 64 PC turned out to be a Sempron 3100+ Socket 754 system with 512 MB RAM and the Geforce 3, the socket 754 works excpet for one of the RAM sticks. I hope the other PC with the Intel D865PERL works

P4 PC specs:
Intel Pentium 4 3.0E Prescott Socket 478
Abit AI7 Motherboard (fautly)
1536 MB RAM DDR 400 (3x 512 MB)
Radeon HD 3450 AGP 512 MB
120 + 250 GB HDD SATA (both HDDs SATA)
UNIKA "480" watt PSU (likely dead)
2x DVD drives
floppy drive
Gigabyte G-power cooler

Socket 754 PC specs:
AMD Sempron 3100+ with 64 bit enabled (i have a Sempron 3100+ as well, but mine is the one with 64 bit disabled)
EpoX EP-8HDAI Pro motherboard
512 MB RAM DDR 400 (256 MB x2, probably one of the sticks is fautly)
nVidia Geforce 3 64 MB
160 GB IDE HDD
PC CASE 300 WATT PSU
2x CD Drives
floppy drive
AMD Stock cooler

Attachments

• 20170309_163905.jpg
    Filename
    20170309_163905.jpg
    File size
    1.61 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    P4 system
    File license
  • 20170309_163917.jpg
    Filename
    20170309_163917.jpg
    File size
    1.6 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20170309_164410.jpg
    Filename
    20170309_164410.jpg
    File size
    1.69 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Socket 754 system
    File license
  • 20170309_164416.jpg
    Filename
    20170309_164416.jpg
    File size
    1.49 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20170309_164426.jpg
    Filename
    20170309_164426.jpg
    File size
    1.69 MiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by Carlos S. M. on 2017-03-10, 09:01. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 16 of 28, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Edited last post, posted the same pic again by accident + i missed one image of the P4 system

Last edited by Carlos S. M. on 2017-03-10, 11:35. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 17 of 28, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yawetaG wrote:

The case on the P4 is a Cooler Master case, just repainted one with the same internal design.

The P4 uses some no brand case, i don't see any Cooler Master Brand there

The socket 754 machine uses an NXZT Nemesis Black case

Reply 18 of 28, by Frasco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Abit AI7 🤑 🤑 🤑 (In fact I wanted to draw a heart instead of money)

It's good when the motherboard is talking to you.
25 is related to RAM, video card, IDE cables/drives and keyboard.
Someone changed his keyboard to a wireless one and voila...
Or there is some short on the board somewhere. Remove the motherboard from your case.
Although take heed to what someone wrote:
"I tried unplugging everything, and it only displays the error when I plug in the graphic card....."

Loved the Gigabyte power cooler. Your star is shinning very very bright.
Looks like there is one screw missing in it and the flat cable is dirt (last photo)
😀 I am nuts. My people say:
- It will be fine and totally fixed with 3 screws. I say no, no, no.
- It will be inside the case. I say no, no, no.

NXZT Nemesis Black case 🤑 🤑 🤑
Look at that case . Nice color and easy to use.

Carlos, I think you made a good choice, better than that! I'm up to no good with words, but I
get happy just looking at these stuffs..

Reply 19 of 28, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried going to the same place to get the other PC with the Intel D865PERL along with an old Fujitsu PC with an AMD Duron and a Dell Dimension 4500, but couldn't take then since there was too many stuff placed which wasn't possible the acess to them for now, but luckily, he brought some more computer including two beige case goodies which i decided to take them home asap before someone takes them (the guy is still keeping the D865PERL PC along with the Fujitsu and Dell Dimension for me). Both PCs have beige cases and are working

the PC at the top is an old Duron system with missing parts when the one at the botton is a complete P3 system

AMD PC specs:
AMD Duron 1000 (Morgan, DHD1000AMT1B)
ECS K7S5A
no RAM
no videocard
no HDD
LG 52x CD drive
floppy drive
250 watt PSU

Pentium III PC specs:
Pentium III 733
QDI Advance 10T (supports Tualatin)
512 MB PC133 (1x 512 MB)
ATI Xpert 128 16 MB (Rage 128 GL)
80 + 40 GB IDE HDD (WD800BB and WD400BB)
HP CD writter
floppy drive
300 watt PSU
The PC boots Windows XP

Attachments

• 20170310_122207.jpg
    Filename
    20170310_122207.jpg
    File size
    2 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20170310_141911.jpg
    Filename
    20170310_141911.jpg
    File size
    1.68 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20170310_145420.jpg
    Filename
    20170310_145420.jpg
    File size
    1.65 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20170310_150303.jpg
    Filename
    20170310_150303.jpg
    File size
    1.6 MiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by Carlos S. M. on 2017-03-10, 20:56. Edited 2 times in total.