VOGONS

First post, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I built a Windows 98 SE machine using a BCM QS754 Motherboard and an AMD 650 MHZ Processor / 512 MB RAM

System has a Voodoo3 / SB Live! Gold / NIC Card / 32 GB CF Card HDD..

Windows 98 is fully installed, but I havent installed the drivers for the cards yet, as the machine constantly stops when I tell it to reboot. It will close down Windows and when its about to start booting up again, it just sits there with nothing happening....if I Power it down and turn it back on, it comes up fine and runs without issue.

Looking for some opinions here on what my issues could be....the only thing I can find so far is that the MOBO can have timing issues with some RAM...I havent replaced the RAM yet and will do that, but wanted to know some other possible options I could look into should that not work...

EDIT - The RAM I have in it is PC133 RAM, but the system calls for PC100 RAM. I have installed PC133 in PC100 machines before without issue, so didnt think it would be an issue here...

Reply 4 of 11, by Frasco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One day I patched** Windows 98SE - including the supplement mentioned in the link, messed
with BIOS option (ACPI), replaced PSU, updated all drivers, to no avail.
When I installed Windows XP or Windows 95, the issues are gone.
But then again, I assume you don't want XP in your computer.

My memory is so good to remember all my fails...

**Do you download only official patches ? Usually unofficial ones have a lot of caveats and restrictions.
I just don't know where and how to accomplish this mission these days.

For example, read this content:
http://www.mdgx.com/upd98me.php
Wow, I feel dizzy and would love someone shedding some light.

Reply 5 of 11, by kenrouholo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

why are so many people lately talking about 512MB RAM with Win98SE? either run it with 256MB or apply unofficial SP3 at least. 98 is known to have issues with large (for the era) amounts of RAM. Edit to note - some people actually specifically report issues with 98SE and 512MB. Lots of people also say they have trouble with >512MB (meaning 512MB works) but I'd err on the side of caution and say those people are probably incorrect; 512MB is likely to cause issues (because many people have said they've had such issues with 512MB), so do use the unofficial SP3. And install that with 256MB or less, then put the rest back in (or leave it out - this is 98SE - you don't need that much).

Last edited by kenrouholo on 2017-03-15, 20:26. Edited 2 times in total.

Yes, I always ramble this much.

Reply 6 of 11, by Frasco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You just don't want to use 1GB of RAM and an AGP card.
Really! This sucks and will completely destroy your files forever. And you end up thinking something went wrong with the chipset or worse! 😠

Reply 8 of 11, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I haven't installed the Drivers yet just because I wanted to get this reboot issue out of the way first.

I can certainly drop the memory down from 512 and see how it goes...

Trying PC100 RAM as well to see if it makes a difference

Edit - 256 MB PC133 didn't help. 256 MB PC 100 didn't help

It's like the board shuts down outside the proc fan when I try to do a reboot. The case fan shuts down and it doesn't post and the monitor goes to a no signal. Hard power it off and back on and it comes right back up

Reply 10 of 11, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Its a 320W ATX Supply that I've had for a while...cant remember the make off hand.

Tested OK with a Multi-meter before I installed it.

Could the Voodoo3 Card possibly cause the issue? I know the first thing the machine does on power up is bring up the Voodoo3 3000 info.

Its just odd that on reboot, Windows shuts down fine (when I power cycle it, 98 loads fine, no errors or prompts about bad shutdown / prompting for Safe Mode / etc..), but then the case fan shuts off and the monitor signal drops (the green light on the monitor goes to Orange) and the machine sits there with the Processor Fan and the Power Supply fan still running, but nothing else.

Reply 11 of 11, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks everyone for the ideas...

It ended up being the Voodoo3 card....once I got all the Drivers installed and the card configured, the machine boots up fine from cold boot or from restart.....