VOGONS

First post, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not sure if you would consider this old-old but it is I'm having an issue with an ASUS K8V Deluxe board. It is roughly 13 years ago with AGP so its kinda old.

I just bought it off ebay and it was ok originally up until I had it in a case and set it up in its fianl position. (It tested fine just before when it was laying down, side panel open)

Everytime it boots up, it gives me an error that the BIOS has a bad checksum and starts looking for the BIOS file on the floppy or CD-ROM. I've put it on both floppy and CD-ROM. On CD-ROM it says that it is reading it but then says it is not found. On floppy, it finds it, verifies it, states that it is programming the BIOS and asks to shutdown. When I shutdown and turn it back on, it repeats stating that the BIOS has a bad checksum.

I've tried multiple floppies, CDs and drives and there is no difference. I've tried switching around the ram, removing all devices, using a difference video card, et.c

I have ordered a pre-programed BIOS chip with the proper BIOS but the company selling the chip thinks it might not work but worth a shot (They'll honor a full refund for return so nothing to lose.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated?

And if worse comes to worse, got a good recommendation for a Scoket 754 board with AGP and good Win98 support?

Last edited by GiSWiG on 2017-04-03, 23:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Steamer/GOG-er: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula | AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3.7GHz all cores | Mushkin 8GB DDR3 RAM 1333 w/ 6-6-6-18 1T | Dual AMD Radeon HD 6850s in CrossFireX | X-Fi Titanium | Dual-boot Windows XP and Vista

Reply 1 of 12, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is the chip removable?

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 12, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes

Steamer/GOG-er: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula | AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3.7GHz all cores | Mushkin 8GB DDR3 RAM 1333 w/ 6-6-6-18 1T | Dual AMD Radeon HD 6850s in CrossFireX | X-Fi Titanium | Dual-boot Windows XP and Vista

Reply 3 of 12, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You might also be able to reflash it using an external flasher. My only complaint is that the only flasher I've found only works with Windows 2000 and XP, AFAIK. (Tries to install in Win10 but fails badly).

Also, reseat the chip - it worked right until you moved it and is still witchety after a reflash, which kinda suggests a loose connection. You might also try hitting the contacts with some contact cleaner or pure alcohol while the chip is removed.

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 4 of 12, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was thinking about doing that. I did air blast the heck out of the board. It won't be until much later tonight

Reply 5 of 12, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't forget to reset the bios by removing the battery, disconnecting the psu and shorting the jumper.

You can always ''hotflash'' by using another board. I did this a lot of times and never had a problem.

Just insert (on the other board) the original chip ''lightly'' so you can pull it out easily.
Boot it from a bootable floppy that has uniflasher on it and the right bios file for the ''defective'' board. After booting take out the bios chip gently (while still on!) and put the one that needs to be flashed in (while still on!).

Flash it. Shut off and take the chip out and test it on the correct mohterboard, put the original chip back to the board that is used for the flash.

It is as simple as that and almost as easy as a flashing device.

With some Asus boards it can be harder and instead of uniflasher the right Asus program is needed. On very few occasions i had to use the exact same Asus board.

Good luck.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 6 of 12, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't have another board I can use. I have a Crosshair III and IV Formulas but they don't use the same socket type.

Reply 7 of 12, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

MADE GOOD PROGRESS!

Reseating the BIOS chip did allow it to be flashed. Still having some issues though. I've set all the BIOS options and they are holding. When restarting the system, it will boot up stating that the BIOS has a bad checksum and it starts looking for the BIOS file on the floppy and CD-ROM but then I hit the reset button and it boots to the post screen and then into the BIOS config. After exiting the BIOS without saving, it continues on looking for a boot device. It did boot into an Acronis boot CD I have. When I make BIOS changes and save and exit, it goes to reboot but hangs. Hitting the reset button then goes back to the bad bios checksum, and resetting that goes to the bios and exiting continues to boot.

So I'm leaning toward either a bad BIOS chip and/or socket. I used alcohol to clean the contacts but I intend to get contact cleaner.

Any other thoughts?

Reply 8 of 12, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bad CMOS battery ?

Reply 9 of 12, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nope, brand new and tested with a battery tester.

Reply 10 of 12, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It reminds me a cheap C2D board I have ... The CMOS battery is perfectly fine but when I unplug the computer, it's not keeping the BIOS settings ... But when it's just plugged into the wall it works without a problem. I think that I somehow broke something inbetween the CMOS battery and the CMOS itself making it unable to keep anything except when it's receiving the power from the PSU

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 11 of 12, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, it's not quite the same but a magnifying glass would be a good investment so I can take a better look. I didn't see anything otherwise. Thanks for the idea.

Reply 12 of 12, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

IT LIVES!!!

I installed the new BIOS chip I ordered with the 1011 BIOS and it is working perfectly (although it seemed to be a little sluggish a few times during initial setup.) Every boot has been perfect. No errors, boots up fast. I did use some contact cleaner on the BIOS socket and battery terminals but I think that the original BIOS chip could have actually been bad. Seems rare but I did have my i7 6700k go bad on me a few months ago.

I'll still give it sometime before officially adding it to my signature.