VOGONS

First post, by Erik765

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there,

I recently picked up a CAF N418 motherboard, which had a SX-25 socketed on it. I just got a DX2-66 chip and threw it in there, set the jumpers correctly, as per the manual (and as per here: http://th99.classic-computing.de/src/m/C-D/31289.htm ) and all the benches I run on it are showing the CPU at 50Mhz and topbench shows a score of 87, matching an AMD386DX-40

Here's the weird part- if I change the CPU speed jumpers to 20Mhz I get a score of 105 in topbench, but the comparison match shows I'm running at a i386DX-40 speed?

Sysinfo shows a CPU score of 70.4 as compared to it's DX-33 rating of 71.2

chkcpu shows an "Internal CPU Speed" as 50.3 MHz no matter what I set the CPU speed jumpers to.

Am I doing something wrong here?

I will admit, when I first attempted to install the CPU, I had it rotated 90 degrees counter-clockwise, but the machine wouldn't even power on. I hope this didn't ruin anything. It booted up fine once I installed it correctly.

Is there some other setting or component on my setup that could be causing the slower-than-expected bench results?

There is no L2-cache on this board, so I know it won't scream, but I'm at least expecting chkcpu (and every other test) to show it as a 66MHz chip (not 50MHz).

It doesn't seem to make any difference if I set the CPU type jumpers to either PQFP or PGA (although I'm thinking it should be on PQFP?)

Please help! It took me 3.5 weeks to get this CPU shipped and I've been waiting anxiously 🙁

Thanks in advance,

E

PS- this chip runs very hot. I'll definitely need a fan or a big heat-sink on it.

Reply 2 of 18, by Erik765

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yep, that's what they're set to and I get a score of 87 in topbench and all the other checks/tests showing a 50MHz chip 🙁

j1.jpg

j2.jpg

Reply 3 of 18, by Erik765

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For reference, here are the benches I'm getting with the MHz settings noted in each pic.

It's almost like I'm getting a reverse effect (which only adds to the confusion):

16mhz.jpg

20mhz.jpg

25mhz.jpg

33mhz.jpg

Thank again for the help/insight here.

Reply 4 of 18, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Check for "turbo" jumper. Maybe it needs to be closed.

Can you use any real sysinfo program? Like NSSI, CHKCPU, SPEEDSYS, ...

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 5 of 18, by Erik765

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

CHKCPU shows 50.3 MHz no matter what I set the jumpers to. Same with Speedsys.

Turbo is off (when on, the speed dramatically slows, as expected).

Could it be a faulty chip? Maybe I should try a 5V AMD chip instead, or another later model Intel? (this one I have is a SX-750)

Reply 6 of 18, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can you show a picture of a full motherboard? It almost looks like the clock generator isn't working correct.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 7 of 18, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The "vidmem" access time seems quite high. What GPU are you using ? I've got a pentium 90 machine which came with a really slow GPU that made it unable to play doom smoothly. Replaced the slow gpu with a decent one and everything was smooth. And under topbench the "vidmem" access time was really high too

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 8 of 18, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You may only go x2 or x3 of your built in CPU, so dx2 50 or dx4 75 overdrive.

Regarding speed I have same problem with my tulip computer 😉 I added dx4 75 but it's fast as 33 hehe

Ref intel
The 50 MHz IntelDX2 OverDrive processor is de- signed to upgrade 25 MHz Intel486 DX microproces-
sor-based systems and 16 MHz 20 MHz and 25 MHz Intel486 SX microprocessor-based systems The 66 MHz IntelDX2 OverDrive processor is de- signed to upgrade 33 MHz Intel486 SX and DX microprocessor-based systems Table 2-1 illustrates the speed and pinout configurations for each

The 100 MHz OverDrive processors are designed to upgrade most 33 MHz Intel486 SX and DX micro-
processor-based systems The 75 MHz OverDrive processors are designed to upgrade most 25 MHz Intel486 DX microprocessor-based systems and 16 MHz 20 MHz and 25 MHz Intel486 SX micro- processor-based systems

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 9 of 18, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There exist motherboards that allow you to set the bus speed either by jumpers (if the clock generator is installed), or by crystal oscillator. Can you see a 50MHz oscillator anywhere on your board?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 10 of 18, by Erik765

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, would you look at that!

20170331_072448.jpg

50MHz crystal.

So what do I do now? Do I need a 66MHz crystal, or a 33MHz crystal, or a?

Here's the exerpt from the motherboard site. I'll check the paper manual when I get home this evening as well-

Processor: 80486SX/80487SX/80468DX/80486DX2

Processor Speed: 16/20/25/33/50(internal)/50/66(internal)MHz

Thanks a ton so far! making progress!

Reply 11 of 18, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm also interested now since I have the same crystal and get average as a dx2 33 with my dx4 75.

But would it help with the speed issue?

Erik765 Do you have a built in CPU as me?

Last edited by tabm0de on 2017-03-31, 19:09. Edited 1 time in total.

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 12 of 18, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tabm0de wrote:

I'm also interested now since I have the same crystal and get average as a dx2 33 with my dx4 75.

But would it help with the speed issue?

I am pretty sure I told you in one of your threads that you could change that crystal to be able to run your computer at 33 MHz FSB and use a DX4-100 overdrive. I also told you it involved soldering if the crystal wasn't sockted and yours isn't. You ended up buying a DX4-75 overdrive though eventhough a DX4-100 overdrive would have worked fine at 75 MHz which I also told you.

If the crystal is changed for a 66 MHz one your DX4-75 will be overcloked to 100 MHz and it will improve your performance a bit, if the DX4-75 can handle running at 100 MHz that is. Getting cache modules to get some L2 cache will also help your performance as you have 0KB L2 cache at the moment.

Last edited by Skyscraper on 2017-03-31, 19:17. Edited 1 time in total.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 13 of 18, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh, ok sorry didn't see that 🙁

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 14 of 18, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tabm0de wrote:

Oh, ok sorry didn't see that 🙁

I called the crystal "metal can close to the CPU" or something like that if I remember right. 😀

I'm also confident that except in the benchmarking program you use your computer is much faster than a 486 DX33 eventhough it runs at 25 MHz FSB and lacks L2 cache. I would think that its performance with the DX4-75 is between a 486 DX40 with L2 cache and a 486 DX2-66 with L2 cache in most tasks. 256KB L2 cache would make it at least as fast as a DX2-66.

Erik765 wrote:

Well, would you look at that!

50MHz crystal.

So what do I do now? Do I need a 66MHz crystal, or a 33MHz crystal, or a?

A 66 MHz crystal should get you 33 MHz FSB. As the crystal is socketed it's easy to change.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 15 of 18, by Erik765

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Awesome! I think I'll go that route to start with and see how it turns out!

I'll update the thread accordingly.

Thanks for the pointers and getting me a path to go down.

Reply 16 of 18, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You should still look after changing your video card too, topbench says that you've got a trident video card which was a really cheap brand of video cards ... and many of their GPUs were really slow. A slow GPU definitely won't help to get performance. Like I said, it can decrease the performance by a huge amount like it did on my pentium 90 where doom was sluggish

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 17 of 18, by Erik765

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's actually a CL GD5429 ISA card. I think it's showing the trident listing there as that was just the system that submitted the comparison result.

There appears to also be DOS drivers for it. I'm not sure if they do anything, but they're not installed quite yet either.

I'll do some proper graphics benches once I have this all up and running 😉

Reply 18 of 18, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As i said before i had the same problem when adding dx4 75mhz overdrive on my builtin 25mhz cpu.
I gave me a avrage as a dx 33 mhz and i was so sad. 🙁

BUT now im happy after help from the guys here i was able to install cache to my system and it preforms as it should now! x2!!! and some peoples said it wouldnt be that much different 😉

So install cache and you could get dx2 50 mhz or dx4 75mhz or upgrade the crystal if you want the other models if thats how it works, i dont know about that part.

I hope you have the same problem as i did on my old tulip computer.

More info:
[UPDATE 4 / DONE] The journey of Tulip Vision Line DC 486sx TC35

naa, nothing yet...