VOGONS

First post, by 11justsomekid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After opening up a computer, I noticed that the last person did not connect the IDE cable to the CD drive, despite it having a number set on slave. When plugged in, the drive did not open or closed but did when disconnected again. I do not know how these are set up, so any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

EDIT: model numbers----

Motherboard- Asus P/1-P55TP4N
CD drive- Mitsumi CRMC-FX810T
Hard drive- Seagate ST31081A

Last edited by 11justsomekid on 2017-04-03, 19:40. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 5, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe the cable was upside down so it was incorrectly inserted to drive (should not be possible though)?
Is it even IDE drive, maybe something else?

But otherwise, when there are two drives on IDE cable, one must be master and other must be slave, order is not important. Sometimes for things to work, the master needs to be set to "master, with slave present" on older drives.

When there is only one device, it does not really matter if it is slave or master.

Reply 2 of 5, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So a few things to begin. It would be best if you explicitly mention the model of the motherboard, model of the drive, and any other devices on that or other IDE cables.

It could be as simple as position on the cable, like middle instead of end. It also could be cable orientation if the connector is not keyed to only go in one way.

Last edited by fitzpatr on 2017-04-04, 05:17. Edited 1 time in total.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 3 of 5, by 11justsomekid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
fitzpatr wrote:

So a few things to begin. It would be best if you explicitly mention the model of the motherboard, model of the drive, and any other devices on that or other IDE cables.

Edited in original post now. Kind of important!

Jepael wrote:

Maybe the cable was upside down so it was incorrectly inserted to drive (should not be possible though)?
Is it even IDE drive, maybe something else?

But otherwise, when there are two drives on IDE cable, one must be master and other must be slave, order is not important. Sometimes for things to work, the master needs to be set to "master, with slave present" on older drives.

The CD drive states "IDE Interface" on it, and simply has 3 sets of pins labelled "cable select," "slave," and "master," while the HDD has "One Drive Only," "Drive Is Slave," "Drive Is Master Slave is Present," and "Cable Select." The first and third both show the same pattern.

PS- what does "cable select" mean?

Reply 4 of 5, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

"cable select" was intended to let devices automatically determine the correct master/slave setting based on their position on the cable. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't - I seldom used it. IDE gets two devices per port, and I've gotta futz with the jumpers anyway, so I might as well just set master and slave manually rather than trusting a witchety autodetection scheme that doesn't work half the time anyway.

Sounds to me like you want the HDD set to "Master with Slave Present" and the CD set to "Slave", and make sure the cable is connected the right way around. Even if the shell isn't keyed, and there's no key pin, Pin 1 should be marked. If that still won't chooch, your CD drive might be roached - try it somewhere else and see if it works.

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 5 of 5, by 11justsomekid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

SOLVED IT! Turned out that the last person switched the jumper on the HDD around. The jumper was double sided, and someone used the wrong end. Everything works now!