VOGONS

486 video stutter

Topic actions

First post, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm having an issue when playing back Microsoft video 1 on the 486. The issue I'm having is is that , when a video file size exceeds the amount of ram the system has , the hard drive has to tick along every couple of seconds to load more information. When this happens it causes the video that's playing to lose a few frames giving the video a "smooth then stop smooth then stop" look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3nZ7TduOI0

You can quite literally see the drive light illuminate when the video stutters. I can't tell if the issue is that the drive is slow , or that the cpu just isn't fast enough to be able to move the information on the drive and run the video at the same time.

hardware specs

486dx-40
8mb ram
diamond stealth 32 vlb

video

microsoft video 1 160x120 900kbps 15 or 24fps 18 minutes around 120mb size
windows media 6.4.07.112

So far i've tried

Reducing the video quality , however , this doesn't solve the problem because the files overall size is still larger than the ram and the system will have to access the drive at some point. Files that are only a few megabytes will play fine but they are only maybe 30 seconds long at most.

Tried mpeg video , even though there's no acceleration on this machine. The machine tends to crash when playing mpeg video. I don't think an accelerator would actually fix this problem as the machine will also sometimes crash when I push Microsoft video 1 too hard as well.

I tried installing a DOM to replace the hard drive , however , the machine reads it as only a 100mb drive. I tried to copy the windows 95 installation from the drive to the DOM. However the machine wouldn't boot from it or recognize it was boot able. I also tried installing another vlb drive controller with the DOM on it to see if I could run the video file off of it instead of the main drive. However windows only detected the serial ports on the drive controller and not the drive controller.

I also considered using my plus hardcard 105 to have the video file on , however i think the hardcard is actually slower than the drive it's using. Plus 105mb is less than the size of the video file that it would need to hold.

I might have to buy a 512mb DOM , But I still don't know if that'll fix it or if the cpu is just too slow.
Or adding more ram would allow more of the video to be loaded at once but would still need to access the drive anyway.
Question is do you think a DOM would fix this issue or is it cpu speed related?

Reply 1 of 18, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You need some mass storage controller that supports DMA transfers so it can transfer data while playing back.
So either your controller is already DMA capable (should be at least MW-DMA2) and you need to install a driver supporting it.

However for a 486 I would recommend a SCSI subsystem for video playback.
This is from a 486DX2-66:
1280x1024x64k: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhQ8Oq52O_k
1024x768 TrueColor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jineMBgaHU

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 2 of 18, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So how do i check if the machine supports dma transfers and needs a driver?

Reply 4 of 18, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In device manager is simply lists it as a standard ide/esdi hard disk controller. I did look up real quick how to turn dma mode on however in the disk properties it doesn't have dma as an option. Like it's not even a greyed out option that could be there

Reply 6 of 18, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote:

The drive controller must support DMA mode too

Also, early versions of win95 didn't support DMA mode at all. You need 95 osr 2.1 (or 2.0, I don't know) for that

Is there an update to update windows to osr 2.1?

Reply 7 of 18, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elianda wrote:

After watching these i noticed that computer is quite different from mine , the cpu , gpu , os , file type , ect.... the video also appears to be standard def scaled to those resolutions , not actually a video that is those resolutions.

Reply 8 of 18, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
emosun wrote:
elianda wrote:

After watching these i noticed that computer is quite different from mine , the cpu , gpu , os , file type , ect.... the video also appears to be standard def scaled to those resolutions , not actually a video that is those resolutions.

Yes, as written in the description. However it is also MPEG1 video and should show basically in this case that the SCSI backend really helps to make the stream steady.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel

Reply 9 of 18, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ok as an update

I added a CD rom drive that is capable of reading cdrw's and am now running the videos off the cd drive as it appears to be faster and more stable than the hdd which really should be replaced. It appears the cd drive has eliminated the drive bottleneck and has now put the bottleneck on the cpu.

I changed the video format away from microsoft video 1 to using cinepak in .mov files. I'm still using windows media player to play the files as quicktime 2.0 doesn't play them as smoothly and doesn't support full screen.

Currently however when media player runs the mov files in full screen it will change to 256 color mode. I'm not sure why it does this with mov files as microsoft video 1 didn't do this.

Reply 10 of 18, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To be honest, expecting full-screen video playback at a high resolution without any kind of frame-rate issue or the player defaulting to less colors on a standard 486 is probably asking for trouble. Back in the day you'd use a hardware video decoding card + SCSI drives to obtain that kind of performance...

Reply 11 of 18, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

elianda, it would be interesting to retake this video and not use the MPEG-1 decoder card, but keep all other hardware/software constant. I'm sure it will just show the video skipping around, but would really highlight the impact of the decoder card. I really like seeing these old systems run with high-end hardware with modern video footage. It makes me question the necessity for the rapid progression to modern computers.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 12 of 18, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Keeping the software constant is not possible when changing from hardware to software playback.
So for Win 3.x I would need some software mpeg player. Maybe Xing?
For Win95 probably ActiveMovie will do in full screen at 640x480 256 colors. The video is then a thumbnail in the center as no scaling is applied.

Youtube Channel

Reply 13 of 18, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elianda wrote:

For Win95 probably ActiveMovie will do in full screen at 640x480 256 colors. The video is then a thumbnail in the center as no scaling is applied.

When you don't have mpeg hardware , you don't use mpeg files at all. I'd suggest trying my method as it does scale the movie correctly. I think I've found the best work around for any machine that doesn't use mpeg acceleration.

Reply 14 of 18, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
emosun wrote:
elianda wrote:

When you don't have mpeg hardware , you don't use mpeg files at all. I'd suggest trying my method as it does scale the movie correctly. I think I've found the best work around for any machine that doesn't use mpeg acceleration.

emosun: My answer was related to the question of feipoa where he would like to see how MPEG movies play on the same machine in hardware and in software from the same source material.

Youtube Channel

Reply 15 of 18, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm just thinking mpeg 1 would be a slideshow on a 486 with no hardware acceleration. I was curious how it would perform though as I didn't even consider trying mpeg 1 on my own machine. I gave mpeg a try at 320x240 with no audio and just 600kbps to start off with. It was definitely a slideshow and the machine didn't like it at all.

I think you might have a similar result with a dx2 66 as my dx 40. In that without hardware acceleration the cpu isn't fast enough for mpeg. But cinepak mov seems to be a very good alternative.

Reply 16 of 18, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For what its worth I can play MPEG-1 Videos on my 386DX-40 machine perfectly with a reel magic accelerator card, Cirrus Logic GD-5434, Future Domain Enhanced IDE controller & windows 95.

Reply 18 of 18, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dirkmirk wrote:

For what its worth I can play MPEG-1 Videos on my 386DX-40 machine perfectly with a reel magic accelerator card, Cirrus Logic GD-5434, Future Domain Enhanced IDE controller & windows 95.

how well does it do without the accelerator?