VOGONS

First post, by bigbangnet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello guys,

I need help from the laptop experts cause this one is really challenging for me. In short, I just bought an old laptop Toshiba Satellite 4000cds and now it wont display anything.

When I bought it on ebay, it was password protected so I tried various passwords and figured it out with the name of the seller and it finally worked. so then I tried to remove the password and it worked too. Then I went to get my ms-dos diskette I went to install it but it wouldn't recognise it. I opened it up and reseat the hard drive. I didn't notice before but I didn't hear the hard drive but now I do. So I turn it on and nothing on screen.

I check the 5 lights in front and only 3 will turn on (the power, the display ?!? and the battery light). the 2 others which are the hard drive and floppy/cdrom wont turn on at all.

I tried a the reset pin on the side and still nothing, I opened the laptop entirely and unplugged the backup battery (you have no choice to open the laptop for that one) and still no screen. I tried using an external monitor and nothing at all. the fan wont turn in the back but I do hear the hard drive spinning ?

Right now I'm wondering if the motherboard is bad or is it something to do with the gpu chip ? I'm stuck on this one

In other words here are the things i've tried:

1. removing the battery underneath and the one inside the laptop (backup)

2. pressing power for over 60 secs

3. using the pin for the reset on the left side beside the power button

4. pressing power-shift-F8 (i've heard that would reset something and fix it someimes)

5. removing the hard drive, removing ram and unplug the cdrom

6. plugging to an external display

after all those things, still nothing on screen