VOGONS

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is there a motherboard form factor that is older than AT motherboards and uses different screw hole placement than AT/Baby-AT motherboards?
I have a big case where I would like to put an baby-AT 386 motherboard, but I am having some trouble.

Reply 2 of 11, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is the "XT" form factor, but now that I own one XT system, I wonder if it wouldn't fit in an AT case

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 3 of 11, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think there might be something wrong with the motherboard itself that I think should have been baby-at size. It has alot of those small holes meant for plastic clips instead of screws and they are positioned differently than standard AT screw hole locations. I thing I would only be able to use 2 screws to attach it to the case itself.

Reply 4 of 11, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It happens more often than you think. My 486DX4 is only having one screw, and my other 486 used to have only one too, until I changed it's case. Cases doesn't always have every screw holes that they should have

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 5 of 11, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have only one screw holding my VLB 486 board to the underlying plate, my 386 is the same way, and as is my Pentium. The only one that's a little different is my 386 in an XT case (top pops open type) which has two brass screws.

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 7 of 11, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
20170423_101647.jpg
Filename
20170423_101647.jpg
File size
3.03 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

If I put a plastic standoff to the left one at back of the case and a screw to the other one in the middle of back of the case, they match with the holes in the motherboard, but if I put plastic standoffs to the other 2 that are further away from back of the case, those plastic standoffs would be about 1cm too far away from back of the case to match the holes on the motherboard. How would you put motherboard in the case?

The motherboard that I am trying to put in the case is the one I am talking about in this thread: 386 KMC-A419-8 motherboard and ram
Picture: http://www.amoretro.de/wp-content/uploads/kmc … d_ali_m1419.jpg

Reply 9 of 11, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Baoran wrote:

2 holes in the 2nd row (G and H) are incorrect. They are similar for AT, Baby-AT and ATX boards and must be 6.5" from the front edge of a MB (6.1" from the 1st row of holes). In other words - they must be below ISA slots, not between.
This MB not meets the Baby-AT standard.

Last edited by Gamecollector on 2017-04-23, 08:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 11 of 11, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is what originally came with the case. As you can see there is alot of corrosion.

20170423_121053.jpg
Filename
20170423_121053.jpg
File size
4.4 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception