VOGONS

First post, by sketchus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all,

My BH6 system has been happily chugging along for a few months now, with no real issues.

However the P3 CPU I have in there is a 733mhz 133FSB one and unfortunately it won't clock any higher than 550 without crashing. Am I right in thinking this is due to my board being better with a 100fsb CPU? My AGP clock only has 1/1 or 2/3 so 133 pushes it into unstable territory.

If there's nothing I can do, I was wondering what CPU would be best to install instead of the one I have now?

Cheers.

Reply 1 of 15, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are multiple options.

1) Use a PCI video card. It should have a 1/4 PCI divider, and you can run at normal 33MHz PCI.
2) Use an AGP stable at 89MHz. You can search reviews from that era. But IMO, that's still iffy.
3) If price is not a consideration, get a slot1 1.0/1.1 100FSB GHz Pentium-3.
4) If you are price sensitive, grab a slower slot1, like 700-850/100 FSB cpu. Or grab a slotket + FCPGA pentium-3 with 100 FSB.

Reply 2 of 15, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Warning, some abit bh6 (like mine) don't have 1/4 divider for PCI so 133MHz fsb is just out of question. However I ran my pentium 2 400@496 with a 124MHz FSB fine with a slight overvolt though I fear that it could damage my hardware (I heared that 41MHz PCI could be harmful even though I heared people that ran their systems for years at that speed with no issues whatsoever. Even Cyrix released CPUs for socket 7 which made the PCI to run also at 41MHz, so I don't really know ... I know that all my PCI cards are PCI 2.1 compliant, and according to the PCI 2.1 specs, this can go up to 66MHz, so maybe all my PCI cards supports speeds up to 66MHz ? For AGP cards, it seems that cards made in the late 90's (1999-ish) and in the 2000's are stable at the overclocked agp speed. Like I said I'm only running the board at 124MHz speed, but I guess it's close enough to the speed it reaches at 133MHz fsb ... And guess what gpu I'm using ? The ol crappy riva TNT2 m64 ! And I never ran into graphical glitches with it (even though I'm mostly using it for 2D since I've got a voodoo 2 SLI, but when I run some benchmarks using that card, I don't see any problems)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 4 of 15, by Gatewayuser200

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The absolute best CPU would be a modified 1.4GHz Tualatin Celeron-S in a slocket, but the ebay seller of the modded tualatins hasn't had any celerons for sale in a while.

So as of right now your best option (with out breaking the bank) would be to get a slocket and buy the fastest, most reasonably priced socket 370 Pentium 3 with a 100MHz FSB you can find.

If you need more power for your retro gaming needs it would be best to just get a more powerful system IMHO.

"network down, IP packets delivered via UPS" - BOFH
“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” – Benjamin Franklin

Reply 5 of 15, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gatewayuser200 wrote:

The absolute best CPU would be a modified 1.4GHz Tualatin Celeron-S in a slocket, but the ebay seller of the modded tualatins hasn't had any celerons for sale in a while.

In his eBay post, he says PM him for a modded Tualatin Celeron. Not sure what the long term ramifications of running the bus out of spec (Intel claims that GTL+ is 'different' than GTL) just like running AGP at > 66 MHz. So for longevity's sake, it's best to keep in-spec, IMO.

PhilsComputerLab wrote:

I would just try to find a good value Slot 1 Pentium III with 700 or 800 MHz.

Slot 1 Coppermine > 700MHz is growing rare. They can still bad had for cheap, but you just have to be patient with eBay. For value, slotket + Coppermine FCPGA yields better. I bought 2 MSI-6905 Master's from that German seller for $21 shipped to USA.

Reply 6 of 15, by sketchus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you for all the advice everyone.

I did consider a PCI card, however I'm happy enough with my TI4200 that I'll probably keep it.

I'm not in desperate​ need of a Tualatin one, i don't need THAT much power, but sadly on 550 MHz some games start to dip (Surface Tension chapter on HL1 for example.)

I think the idea I like the most is buying a socket 370 gpu, and adapter. I've already found a couple of CPUs dirt, dirt cheap which would suit me perfectly. Any words of advice in regard to adapters?

Are those modded Tualatins in the US only?

Reply 7 of 15, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Running a 1.1GHz/100MHz FSB Coppermine together with a SPC370 slotket on a BH6 in my PIII rig. My guess is that any Coppermine capable slotket will work just fine, the SPC370 is certainly nothing special.

You don't state where you live, but got a tip from another member a week ago; there's a a German dealer on Ebay with a surplus of MSI MS-6905 slotkets right now, selling at very reasonable prices. One of those would probably be a very safe bet. Picked up a few myself for later use.

You can do an equivalent to the CPU mod on a slotket, if you want to use a Tualeron. It's not all that complicated if you can handle a soldering iron. The BH6 can supply the required voltages without modification.

On the GPU note, the GF Ti4200 in my PIII rig works perfectly on 100 MHz AGP. Accidently set the divider to 1/1, took at least three months before I noticed, and as far as I can remember, nothing misbehaved during that time. Sure, might be differences between individual cards, but I hardly think your GPU is the problem. If you ask me, the GF4 series is as good as it gets when it comes to handling overclocked AGP buses.

Reply 8 of 15, by sketchus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah I'm not convinced it's the GPU not coping either, I was able to bump it up to 112 on the FSB, but anymore and the PC won't boot.

I'm in the UK, so shipping from Germany is very doable. For what I need I'm not convinced I would ever need a Tualatin, unless there's something I'm not thinking of, but I'm not against soldering.

Reply 9 of 15, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are you sure that this is GPU related and not ram related (just to be sure) ?

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 12 of 15, by Gatewayuser200

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

sketchus wrote:

I picked up a 1GHz Coppermine for £3, and an adapter for 9.99, so even if it's not the issues it's a small investment. Just need a cooler.

If you choose to buy a new/used heatsink be wary of its size. When using slockets, the footprint of your heatsink can't be much wider than the socket itself and it can't be too tall or you'll hit your memory.

Stock or "stock like" heatsinks work the best.

"network down, IP packets delivered via UPS" - BOFH
“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” – Benjamin Franklin

Reply 14 of 15, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

look at thrift stores for old Pentium 3 systems, thats where my 800mhz Slot1 came from, the system was trashed, but the cpu was good.

Reply 15 of 15, by sketchus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So the processor turned up and it worked lovely. Running at 1GHZ no issue at all.

I think the framerate in HL1 is definitely better, but I still get the dip around Surface Tension? Is that normal? I can't think what's causing it. With my system now I far exceed the recommended specs:

TI4200
256mb RAM
1ghz cpu.

Is there something I'm missing?