VOGONS

First post, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dual CPU board, Slot 1, Via Apollo 133A chipset.
I've had... issues with Via chipsets in the past- most notably I outright stopped using my TUV4X because it was a pain in the ass to get Voodoo 2 SLi working to any meaningful degree.

So I ask you, Vogonites, would it be worth persuing this? The person with it is a trusted friend so I have no worries about it not working, my only worry is if it's not worth the effort to trade stuff for it and end up with a board actually worse than the CUSL (i815) board I use for my current P3. It seems like a direct upgrade, with the bonus of having an ISA slot?

What are the pros and cons? Is it superior enough to a single-processor i815 board that I should just go for it?

Also, why the heck were Slot 1 133mhz boards a thing at all?

Reply 1 of 3, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I own this board.

It's not very stable when put under full load and it's picky about ram even though most any ram will work in it. The best I ever got the board to do was play the demo of crysis. But over the years the board got more and more unstable with it only posting maybe 10% of the time until it just up and died.

If you want a dual pentium 3 get a dual socket 370 system. This board is just too finicky compared to other boards.

Reply 2 of 3, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If that VIA chipset supports AGP4x, go for it and if it's pre-AGP4x, i would recommend you to stay away from it (unless you want to compare it with intel chipset based MBs) because early VIA chipsets poorly implemented AGP support + are about 10-20% slower than motherboards based on intel BX440 chipset.