VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 16840 of 53040, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The lot came, there are some pics of all the hardware except for the IDE cables (not shown)

I can confirm the card is a Geforce 256 SDR, the RAM chips are Samsung SDR 200 mhz chips, although underclocked at 166 mhz matching Geforce 256 specs

Attachments

• 20170504_111038.jpg
    Filename
    20170504_111038.jpg
    File size
    1.37 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 20170504_111128.jpg
    Filename
    20170504_111128.jpg
    File size
    1.49 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20170504_111141.jpg
    Filename
    20170504_111141.jpg
    File size
    2.07 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20170504_111150.jpg
    Filename
    20170504_111150.jpg
    File size
    1.42 MiB
    Views
    File license

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 16841 of 53040, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just picked this one up. It is missing the AV cable, though the powerbrick came with it.
No funny smells, no funny sounds. Still factory sealed and not much yellowing.
The light turns on when power is turned on. Not bad for 36 US Dollars.
Can't beat that unless it is a dumpster find or donation.

IMG_20170504_155417884.jpg
Filename
IMG_20170504_155417884.jpg
File size
198.44 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_20170504_155453253.jpg
Filename
IMG_20170504_155453253.jpg
File size
182.58 KiB
Views
File license

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 16843 of 53040, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bought this almost complete system today:
One of the best Socket 939 nForce 3 Ultra motherboards for overclocking (with Athlon 64 3200+ CPU).

Epox EP-9NDA3+.jpg
Filename
Epox EP-9NDA3+.jpg
File size
414.7 KiB
Views
File license

And Gainward GeForce 6800GT 2400/Ultra Golden Sample in a box (my precioussss)

Gainward GeForce 6800GT 2400 Ultra Golden Sample box.jpg
Filename
Gainward GeForce 6800GT 2400 Ultra Golden Sample box.jpg
File size
203.55 KiB
Views
File license
Gainward GeForce 6800GT 2400 Ultra Golden Sample.jpg
Filename
Gainward GeForce 6800GT 2400 Ultra Golden Sample.jpg
File size
134.27 KiB
Views
File license

Not shown: Kingston 1gb modules and two HDDs that were packed with them.

Coudn't resist not to buy it for 35$. It's kinda hard to find nForce 3 939 this days and old Gainward is very collectable.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 16844 of 53040, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sketchus wrote:

That looks in good condition indeed. The colouring is great.

My Voodoo3 arrived today. It came from Greece and was wrapped in bubble wrap. Fingers crossed it's ok.

Thanks. It is a tiny bit more yellow in real life. For some reason, the camera leaves out some of the yellow.
I hope the Voodoo is working. A lot of sellers do these sort of crazy packaging. They only give a damn about money,
unless one make a deal with a collector. Or someone that knows what vintage hardware mean to us.

Reply 16845 of 53040, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brostenen wrote:

Thanks. It is a tiny bit more yellow in real life. For some reason, the camera leaves out some of the yellow.
I hope the Voodoo is working. A lot of sellers do these sort of crazy packaging. They only give a damn about money,
unless one make a deal with a collector. Or someone that knows what vintage hardware mean to us.

White balance on your camera is off for your light source in the area. If your camera supports setting white balance, you can correct it and capture the yellowing correctly and such.

More of an advanced camera thing, but.. you seemed to be wondering why, so thought I'd tell ya.. that's why.

Reply 16846 of 53040, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kithylin wrote:
brostenen wrote:

White balance on your camera is off for your light source in the area. If your camera supports setting white balance, you can correct it and capture the yellowing correctly and such.

More of an advanced camera thing, but.. you seemed to be wondering why, so thought I'd tell ya.. that's why.

Have to look on google play store, app store or what it is called. 😁 Standard android camera on MotoG3 is really basic.

Reply 16847 of 53040, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brostenen wrote:

Have to look on google play store, app store or what it is called. 😁 Standard android camera on MotoG3 is really basic.

Yep.. more of a DSLR thing. Probably no options with a camera phone. 😁

Reply 16848 of 53040, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did get some "new" stuff lately. Saw a couple interesting PCI sound cards made by Philips: PSC60X Series, PDNI-AOX-V112.
Had absolutely no idea what these were, both seemed to be NOS and still sealed. €5 each and after a bit of consideration I decided to get both of them. I'll hunt for drivers later.

Also got 2 cheap old rigs, both a bit of a gamble. One was more a gamble as I saw it was an office computer which had its RAM upgraded at some time with 2 memory modules with heatspreaders. I couldn't open it up inside the shop without people noticing and for €15 I decided to take a gamble. Turned out to be GEIL DDR-400 cl2.5 modules...of 256MB each 😵 (wth?). Why would they even make such modules? 🤣

Well, maybe for some 9x rig or something. Also the harddrive was missing and the CPU turned out to be a Pentium 4 s775 630 with 2MB cache. The internet told me it's some extreme edition but from what the internet told me it was mostly extremely average when compared to a regular Preshot 😵

At least I got a XP Pro OEM sticker along with it (not a royalty OEM, a real "retail" OEM one 🤣).

The other rig I had more luck. Beige tower ATX case for €10 of which I knew it had 4 memory modules and a bridged AGP card and a harddrive.
Harddrive was 80GB IDE, the memory modules were 4x512MB (mixed something like 3xDDR-400 and 1xDDR-333 🤣). The PSU I thought was crap, but it turned out to be some 350W Enermax with good 5v and 12v rails. Not bad 😀

And of all bridged AGP cards I could find, it turned out to be an X1650 🤣, I guess I'll throw this one in a Win7 rig or something to avoid any driver mess.

CPU was a 533MHz FSB 2.5-ish GHz Northwood with more TIM on the IHS than a standard slice of bread would've gotten peanutbutter. And a couple extra IDE optical drives are nice I guess.

The motherboard is a Chaintech i865-ish something, but I haven't found the model number yet (will probably do after I disassembled and cleaned it). Black PCB, blue PCI slots and the io ports have a gold-colored coat on the inside. Also got blue chaintech rounded IDE cables which I presume came with the original board.
The beige (and a bit of grey) case has a case badge "Apogee. Powered by Chaintech". Northbridge heatsink is a rounded passive one without any markings on it.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 16849 of 53040, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
Did get some "new" stuff lately. Saw a couple interesting PCI sound cards made by Philips: PSC60X Series, PDNI-AOX-V112. Had abs […]
Show full quote

Did get some "new" stuff lately. Saw a couple interesting PCI sound cards made by Philips: PSC60X Series, PDNI-AOX-V112.
Had absolutely no idea what these were, both seemed to be NOS and still sealed. €5 each and after a bit of consideration I decided to get both of them. I'll hunt for drivers later.

Also got 2 cheap old rigs, both a bit of a gamble. One was more a gamble as I saw it was an office computer which had its RAM upgraded at some time with 2 memory modules with heatspreaders. I couldn't open it up inside the shop without people noticing and for €15 I decided to take a gamble. Turned out to be GEIL DDR-400 cl2.5 modules...of 256MB each 😵 (wth?). Why would they even make such modules? 🤣

Well, maybe for some 9x rig or something. Also the harddrive was missing and the CPU turned out to be a Pentium 4 s775 630 with 2MB cache. The internet told me it's some extreme edition but from what the internet told me it was mostly extremely average when compared to a regular Preshot 😵

At least I got a XP Pro OEM sticker along with it (not a royalty OEM, a real "retail" OEM one 🤣).

The other rig I had more luck. Beige tower ATX case for €10 of which I knew it had 4 memory modules and a bridged AGP card and a harddrive.
Harddrive was 80GB IDE, the memory modules were 4x512MB (mixed something like 3xDDR-400 and 1xDDR-333 🤣). The PSU I thought was crap, but it turned out to be some 350W Enermax with good 5v and 12v rails. Not bad 😀

And of all bridged AGP cards I could find, it turned out to be an X1650 🤣, I guess I'll throw this one in a Win7 rig or something to avoid any driver mess.

CPU was a 533MHz FSB 2.5-ish GHz Northwood with more TIM on the IHS than a standard slice of bread would've gotten peanutbutter. And a couple extra IDE optical drives are nice I guess.

The motherboard is a Chaintech i865-ish something, but I haven't found the model number yet (will probably do after I disassembled and cleaned it). Black PCB, blue PCI slots and the io ports have a gold-colored coat on the inside. Also got blue chaintech rounded IDE cables which I presume came with the original board.
The beige (and a bit of grey) case has a case badge "Apogee. Powered by Chaintech". Northbridge heatsink is a rounded passive one without any markings on it.

I have one of those Phillips sound cards. Worst sound card I've ever owned. I've literally never heard such poor quality audio, through my headphones it sounded like a bad 80's boombox turned up way beyond it's tolerances.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 16850 of 53040, by sketchus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brostenen wrote:
Thanks. It is a tiny bit more yellow in real life. For some reason, the camera leaves out some of the yellow. I hope the Voodoo […]
Show full quote
sketchus wrote:

That looks in good condition indeed. The colouring is great.

My Voodoo3 arrived today. It came from Greece and was wrapped in bubble wrap. Fingers crossed it's ok.

You could use some hydrogen peroxide to clean it up, but it looks good enough that it shouldn't be an issue.

Oh and thanks, luckily the card seems to be working just fine, which I'm thrilled about. Been looking for a card for ages.

Reply 16851 of 53040, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

At long last! It's mine! A authentic GeForce256 SDR!
It was mislisted on eBay as another card. The label on the back in the other picture even says Erazor X. This was the final part I needed for my ultimate 1999 build. It's not DDR but it'll hold me over until I get a DDR. I paid less than $25 USD for it. A worthy successor to that machines current TNT2 Ultra.

Images and information redacted until it's shipped. Just in case we have a vulture....

I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 16852 of 53040, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

At long last! It's mine! A authentic GeForce256 SDR!
It was mislisted on eBay as another card. The label on the back in the other picture even says Erazor X. This was the final part I needed for my ultimate 1999 build. It's not DDR but it'll hold me over until I get a DDR. I paid less than $25 USD for it. A worthy successor to that machines current TNT2 Ultra.

Images and information redacted until it's shipped. Just in case we have a vulture....

What is there even to snipe? It's already listed as sold.

Reply 16853 of 53040, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm worried about the seller backing out or making some excuse after realising his error.

Reply 16854 of 53040, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
Did get some "new" stuff lately. Saw a couple interesting PCI sound cards made by Philips: PSC60X Series, PDNI-AOX-V112. Had abs […]
Show full quote

I have one of those Phillips sound cards. Worst sound card I've ever owned. I've literally never heard such poor quality audio, through my headphones it sounded like a bad 80's boombox turned up way beyond it's tolerances.

Ah crap, should've gone for those laptop harddrives then 🤣
What made these sound cards so bad? Drivers, instability, sound quality, other issues?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 16855 of 53040, by krivulak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today I visited heaven.

For the first time I visited local PC hoarder - he gives few bucks to people who brings some stuff in here. We threw in a little chit-chat and we became friends. He is really nice guy, he collects stuff from Pentium further - I stop at this point, I like everything pre-Pentium. We was discussing 486 cpus when he said Yeah, yesterday some guy dropped off this:

P_20170505_141029_zps7kvir2nm.jpg

I kid you not, when I saw it my heart stopped. He gave me a deal - 10 bucks for each, but I had only 16, so he gave it to me for 16 bucks (approximated - 400 czech crowns). I can't wait to get home and try them! 😊

FOR SURE I will go back sometime and raid it, but I gotta make some money first 😁

Reply 16856 of 53040, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

Unfortunately just Philips branded CMI (8738?) chipsets on theese. The PSC70x series are more interesting with their own chipset (or VLSI really as Philips bought them).

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 16857 of 53040, by Skalabala

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kamerat wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

Unfortunately just Philips branded CMI (8738?) chipsets on theese. The PSC70x series are more interesting with their own chipset (or VLSI really as Philips bought them).

Awesome stuff!! I remember my ST225

Reply 16858 of 53040, by man-x86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Cyrix200+ wrote:
The Packard Bell was also a bit uninpressive, the motherboard was a MSI MS6147 with onboard ATi Rage (Pro?) and Creative sound c […]
Show full quote

The Packard Bell was also a bit uninpressive, the motherboard was a MSI MS6147 with onboard ATi Rage (Pro?) and Creative sound chip and a Pentium II Slot 1 350MHz. They did some sort of 'upgrade' with a PCI SiS 305 based PCI video card.

4NC2WzQl.jpg?1

I used the same motherboard for some tests, and it has everything one needs for tinkering with an old machine.
It is also possible to easily modify the BIOS (I got the same motherboard with a NEC BIOS, upgraded to a MSI bios, Coreboot and a tuned MSI bios at the end). Upgrading the BIOS makes it a great motherboard, although keeping the original bios on a separate chip might be helpful against Murphy's law.

Attachments

• Filename
    msi6147.zip
    File size
    397.16 KiB
    Downloads
    64 downloads
    File comment
    Coreboot and MSI bioses
    File license
  • Filename
    msi6147.pdf
    File size
    836.52 KiB
    Downloads
    65 downloads
    File comment
    Manual
    File license

Reply 16859 of 53040, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
man-x86 wrote:
Cyrix200+ wrote:

<snip>

I used the same motherboard for some tests, and it has everything one needs for tinkering with an old machine.
It is also possible to easily modify the BIOS (I got the same motherboard with a NEC BIOS, upgraded to a MSI bios, Coreboot and a tuned MSI bios at the end). Upgrading the BIOS makes it a great motherboard, although keeping the original bios on a separate chip might be helpful against Murphy's law.

Thanks, I might try that! This board is quite unstable unfortunately, and the onboard video flickers (on two LCD screens I tried it on). I put it aside right next to the recycle bin, but maybe I will need to give it another chance 😀

1982 to 2001